Some Chevy Mods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lol!!
Just you wait till you see my red neck engineering on the 40 to fit everything!!!
My GEARS are turnin!!! :lol:

I REFUSE to pull a trailer!!

When I had my Jeep and our 85lb lab, we used a lot of backpacking stuff to make it all fit. Of course we took a lot less to be comfortable back then as well. I packed things into every nook and cranny I could find. I strapped the chairs on top of the gas/water cans and had a small platform that "plugged" into the reciever in the middle of the spare tire that our pots/pans container sat on. I had a carpet covered platform inside that the heavy stuff went under and the dog and duffle bags of clothes went on top. I had legs for the platform so I could take it out and use it as a table at camp also. She was real good at balancing on the platform in her younger years, even on Rubicon/Fordyce, but got a little shakey by the time I sold it and she had gotten older.

I know some people leave room for the dog in the center under the platform and then place things on top of that, so I await the magic combo.

Jack

I think the key will be the roof rack in our situation!!
The plan I forsee w/ a roof rack is tents, duffle bag, chairs, sleeping bags, dry foods/ snacks stove and grill and cooking stuff.
I'm gonna spend some cash on decent compressable sleep bags.
In the back... I built that platform, where the tools, fluids spare parts and such will reside. On top of that... Coolers and the DAWG!! :)
on paper... Should work, actuality is a different story.

Btw.... Just looked at the weather in DV.... Looks to be about PERFECT!!!
Damn!! Wouldn't mind headin down w/ ya!!

Have fun!!

anxious to hear about DV!!!!!

Great write up Jack!!!
I was anxious to hear about it! It sounded like am IDEAL stay at the springs!! Last year on blotch sat. Night a storm blew in.... Had to have been 50-70 mph. BRUTAL!! all night!! Through the morning!! AWFUL!! would couldnt see the valley r/t the dust being kicked up!!

Thanks for the link to report!!

It was one of our best visits to Saline, absolutely perfect weather. We woke up Sunday to a little wind, I don't know if it picked up in the afternoon or not, it was blowing pretty good when we stopped at the Stateline Mine, so I would assume Sunday afternoon in Saline was windy.

I can't imagine the blowing that bad and trying to sleep in a tent. I would guess that sleep was not happening.

You are welcome, have a good time on your upcoming trip.

Jack

It was one of our best visits to Saline, absolutely perfect weather. We woke up Sunday to a little wind, I don't know if it picked up in the afternoon or not, it was blowing pretty good when we stopped at the Stateline Mine, so I would assume Sunday afternoon in Saline was windy.

I can't imagine the blowing that bad and trying to sleep in a tent. I would guess that sleep was not happening.

You are welcome, have a good time on your upcoming trip.

Jack

It was like NOTHING ive ever experienced!!!
I went to crawl into the tent and it was FILLED with sand and silt!!! I grabbed the sleeping bag and pillow, dusted it off as best I could and slept in the taco!!
Hence the reason I bought that XPG tent for SnT!!!!
Thing FUGGIN RAWKS!!!!!:bounce:

Finally got my bumper in and the winch mounted.

Look what followed me home last Friday...

The unpacking.

Tear down of the truck to get old bumper off and prepare for new bumper.

Jack

Mounting the brackets. I have to give Buckstop credit, the brackets are amazingly well done and literally fit the frame rails like they were made for my truck.

I have to apologize, Spressomon came up and helped me with the final install and we were too busy with other things to get any pictures of that, so the pictures go straight to the final product. I don't have any lights for it yet, still researching which ones I want.

Buckstop bumper with Warn 12k winch.

Jack

After a little over a week of little work here and there, with a lot of help from my buddy Matt (bender, notcher and skill) and especially my wife, the sliders are done. I originally was going to go with a much heavier tubing and design, but the more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea. Too much weight and too difficult for me to handle during the fabrication/installation process. I also realized that these are more for the oops, than everyday rockcrawling and my wife needed the step to help get in and out. I am pretty happy with the outcome, it took a lot of measuring and crawling in and out from under the truck and of course welding.

Enough talk, let's show some pictures.

Here are the first bends and lay out.

Tubes notched

My wife grinding the edges of the notching

Starting to look like a slider.

X2

Jack

They needed some metal to keep you from stepping through them and to make them more effective as a step.
Oh and I decided to add some seam sealer on the underside of the tubes/metal

Both sealed and drying

Test fit and measuring for the "legs"

I decided to use Durabak spray can bed liner on them so that there was some grip and hopefully it will hold up to road spray.

The final product

The are the perfect height and distance sticking out for use as a step, but not so much that they are in the way when getting out.

Jack

Very nice jack!!!
Looks great!

Looks great Jack! Another one checked off your list :)

Looks good guys. Nice job.

SWEET! Those turned out awsome! I think the metal platforms add a nice touch for sure.

With stuff like this there is one thing you can count on for sure, and thats taking more time and effort than you planned. It never fails, you think it will take 2 days and you end up spending 4 on it!

Thanks everyone. I am pretty proud of 'em. My only problem was after working on it for 10 hours straight, my welds got pretty bad, but oh well, those parts are under the truck and you will have to really look for those.

And Matt, you are dead on these kinds of projects taking way more time than you imagined.

Jack

Looks awsome Jack truck is coming together nicely

Dan :cheers::steer::bounce::bounce2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom