Some Chevy Mods (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been collecting parts as of late and finally got around to installing some of it.

I have decided not to lift the truck, simply because with the camper, I really don't want to make it harder to release the latches and get in and out. The problem is that I still want/need some additional clearance under the low slung truck. What to do? Well, Bushwacker makes cut out flares that increase both tire coverage and open the fender openings up to allow for larger tires without lifting or larger tires with less lift.

I picked up some used Hummer H2 rims with tires. The rims are "black chrome" which I really like. The tires are worthless, but they at least allow me to make sure everything will clear. Here is are some pics of the flares and tire installed.

Those tires are BFG 35's, which are pretty small, but Bushwacker claims that you can fit 35's without a lift at all. I won't be using 35's, but more like 34's. As soon as I can get the front bumper installed, then tires will be purchased.

Jack

So did you give it some saw zall love??? Not sure if the stock fender covers just took up that much space or not?
Looks great!

So did you give it some saw zall love??? Not sure if the stock fender covers just took up that much space or not?
Looks great!

Yep, the 4.5" angle grinder actually. 1.25" was cut out of the rear of the front fender and 1.5" on the front and rear portion of the rear (bed) fender opening. Cutting was a little rough at first, but after you get started, it wasn't too bad.

No going back now...

Jack

Yep, the 4.5" angle grinder actually. 1.25" was cut out of the rear of the front fender and 1.5" on the front and rear portion of the rear (bed) fender opening. Cutting was a little rough at first, but after you get started, it wasn't too bad.

No going back now...

Jack

Little "PUCKER" the first cut??? :eek::lol:

That's only one of the many reasons I drive older junk.

Being a cheap a$$ is only part of it.

Scratching or denting a truck that costs more than a years pay is just beyond my abilities at this stage of my life. Not to mention taking a cutoff disc to the fenders.

So last Tuesday I had to take the day off due to some waterheater problems. The guy was able to fix it by midday, so I pulled the truck into the garage and pulled the front differential out.

Last "black" Friday after Thanksgiving, I decided to go to Summit instead of the Mall. I had a coupon, Eaton was having a rebate and Summit was giving 10% off sale, so I got the e-locker for the front axle for $650 out the door, which ended up being about $100 off the list price.

Well, I have been sitting on the diff because I didn't want to tear it apart in case it actually snowed. Darcie would need the truck if it did, so I kind of waited and last week looked good for the timing/weather.

I dropped it off at Bayshore and was scheduled for pickup on Friday. The got it done and I got it home. I asked SpressoDan to help with the install, because it was all I could do to remove it by myself.

Dan came up on Saturday afternoon and we got everything re-installed in about 2 hours. Thanks a bunch Dan.

I didn't get any pictures, which I should have because Bayshore made the front diff look like brand new. I don't have it wired right now, went out of town yesterday, so next weekend I will do the final wiring and test it out.

The Chevy has a front locker baby.:steer:

Jack

Last edited:
You guys got it ALL back together in 2 hours? Nice! Looked like a lot of stuff to put back together when I was there that morning. I'll vouch for how pretty the 3rd looked too, I thought it was a new part...

Keep me posted on the sliders! Should have the bender on castors this week

Nice!!!

You guys got it ALL back together in 2 hours? Nice! Looked like a lot of stuff to put back together when I was there that morning. I'll vouch for how pretty the 3rd looked too, I thought it was a new part...

Keep me posted on the sliders! Should have the bender on castors this week

I was surprised as well and it was. I should have taken pictures of the third member. I have to change the oil this weekend, maybe I can get some pictures of everything before it gets trashed.

The sliders might be a little bit longer now that we are actually getting some weather. We'll see.

Let's hope.

My other parts/project is also ready to go. The On Board Air system. I might start on that this weekend, depends on whether I get motivated enough.

Jack

Here are some pics of the diff installed. You can see the Cognito steering support (heim joint) as well.

The E-Locker wiring.

Finished up the wiring Friday and took it out for a small test up behind the house. I didn't get any pictures, kind of tough in the wind/slight rain and by myself. Anyway, it took a little bit to find a spot that I needed the front locker, as soon as the tires started spinning, the rear G80 locked up and the truck pulled through the ditch. I finally found a hill with some "moguls" and was able to give it a test. Worked like a charm. I would say the activation/de-activation is on par with an ARB and much faster than any of my factory Toyota electric lockers. Like most lockers, it does take a little to unlock if it is still "bound up." Once the strain is removed, it unlocks quickly.

Jack

Got the OBA installed. I started with a Sanden and was going to build my own set up, but in December Kilby was running a special on their full kits. Luckily for me, I hadn't ordered too many parts to make the OBA a reality and I was able to sell my Sanden compressor. I ordered the Kilby kit, which came with everything needed for the install.

I found some time last weekend and took two days to do the install. Just now getting around to doing the write up. Enough talk, lets show some pics of everything.

Factory belt removed and idler pulley in place. This is where the York compressor mounts. That is the space used for the factory second alternator.

The main compressor bracket.

Here is one of issues with the kit. This is the secondary/stabilization bracket that bolts to the "bottom" of the York and ties into the factory A/C compressor mount. The plate was sheared with a machine and bent in a brake. The problem is that the holes were made with what looks like a plasma cutter freehand...they missed by a lot. I had to use my die-grider and carbide bit to get the holes where they should have been. Then I had to weld up the rest of "holes."

Compressor mounted.

Jack

Here is the oil coelescing filter. I mounted it off of the cowl to fender bracket.

I took advantage of two "studs" that were on the firewall. They are for the grounding strap from the motor and one from the hood. I made a bracket, welded everything up and got it mounted.

It came time to mount the air tank. I looked under the truck and discovered a frame bracket mounted under the bed. I assume it is for some kind of evap canister for emmissions on a gas motor. The air tank mounts above the drive shaft between the fuel tank and muffler. I couldn't get an overall picture, lying on my back under the truck. My camera wouldn't put the whole unit into focus, so it took two pics to get it.

I ran out of time for pictures of the air lines, but I drilled a hole in the rear bumper and ran the coupler through that. For the front coupler, I just left it loose under the hood. I will wait until I have the front bumper before I do a permanent mount.

It is good to have unlimited air again. Once you have it, you can't imagine being without it. Used it yesterday to air up the tires on my trailer, which considering that the trailer was hooked to the truck was very handy. Nice recovery and even at idle, the output was very fast.

Jack

Clean job. How art them skined knuckels? Little tight in there:hillbilly:

Finally got a chance to get some pictures and got my new tires mounted after a delay.

This is the new (to me) leather seats.

This is a profile with the 265's on the stock rims.

H2's with the worn/bald 315's

And finally with the new Nitto Terra Grapplers in the 285/75R17 (spec out at 33.86" tall)

Up close of the front tire/rim and my front bumper trim job.

Coverage with the flare.

Going to give them a test this weekend. The weird thing is my new Nitto TG's are made in Japan, whereas the last set I had on my LC in a 315/75R16's were made in the USA, whoda' thunk?

Gotta load up the camper and we are thinking of heading south, most likely somewhere around the Saline/Death/Panamint Valley areas, won't know until we get there. If anyone wants to go, let me know. If it is just Darcie and I, we will fly by the seat of our pants, if someone else is going, then we will come up with more of a plan.

Jack

Last edited:
I like that you ditched the rear seat. Looks like you have some kind of lashing system in the works back there. We liked the club cab, oops I mean extended cab, on our 93 GMC. It was a great place to keep jackets, dogs, and a small cooler. I like the look of a short bed regular cab better but wouldn't sacrifice the utility of the extra space you get with a crew or extended cab.

Flares came out great!!!
If I'd have known about a DV trip, Might have tagged along....
Doubt I could keep up with ya's though!!! ;)
Lookin great man!!!

Getting close to putting it up for sale, AGAIN!! :)

I like that you ditched the rear seat. Looks like you have some kind of lashing system in the works back there. We liked the club cab, oops I mean extended cab, on our 93 GMC. It was a great place to keep jackets, dogs, and a small cooler. I like the look of a short bed regular cab better but wouldn't sacrifice the utility of the extra space you get with a crew or extended cab.

Yeah, we pulled the rear seat last year early, we find the platform is much more useful/roomy than the little bench seat, besides it's just us, so no need for the seat. I wouldn't do without the ex-cab part either, just too handy.

Flares came out great!!!
If I'd have known about a DV trip, Might have tagged along....
Doubt I could keep up with ya's though!!! ;)
Lookin great man!!!

Getting close to putting it up for sale, AGAIN!! :)

I didn't know about the DV trip until well about last night, so you can blame me for not posting sooner.:hillbilly:

Thanks for the compliments.

As the "for sale" comment, that's great coming from a guy who is going to have add a 60 rear body to his 40 or build a trailer in order to carry himself/wife and 140lbs of doggie. :flipoff2:

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom