Solved! Nav Screen Error: A program cannot be read. Please consult to a dealer. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.couleecreative.com
I've got a 2008 Lexus LX570 with Mark Levinson sound and after disconnecting the battery I'm getting this error message "A program cannot be read. Please consult to a dealer." Gah! There doesn't appear to be a DVD drive in the glove box, am I right to assume this is hard drive based? I've disconnected the battery multiple times, even as long as 24hrs. I'm not sure what else to do other than spend $$ and bring it to the Toyota dealership. I've done some googling and it seems to be a common issue BUT I haven't found anything for solutions online.

Has anyone had this problem and been able to solve it through some sort of reset?

Very new to 200 series, appreciate any constructive feedback!

C85F8880-2122-41C9-ABD4-1F23DCB04BC3_1_105_c.jpeg

Interestingly enough I am having the same issue - however mine seems to be only when it's cold outside in the mornings, in the afternoon it works fine.

I ended up buying a replacement hard drive for the nav unit from the seller "toyolexnavspec" on eBay. He currently has them listed for $1500 but accepted $500. Not a cheap solution but everything is back to normal and the seller was helpful with the process.

To remove the nav unit it's pretty easy just follow this video (mostly removing trim pieces for access to 4 bolts)

The hard drive is located on the back side of the nav unit in my 2008 LX570 and requires a T10 to remove the screws then pull out. (battery disconnected at this point). To install the new drive simply push it into place, it'll click sorta, then put the cover with T10 screws back on, slide it back into place in your dash, then connect your main battery, then push the start button once with your foot off the brake and let it boot up at which time you see an "installing" screen. Hopefully, this helps others as I found a lot of dead-end searching.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0955.JPG

Screenshot_12_8_23__8_08 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I wish there was a way to replace this HDD as preventative maintenance. Did some digging and folks over at ClubLexus got pretty far along the process on the GS. One person was able to do a bit-by-bit copy of the harddrive, but they ultimately hit a wall when it came to encryption, I think.

I've been doing research on replacement head units (to solve a yellow nav screen issue), and there are so many different models of Nav units for '08-'11 LXs - with some major differences in physical connections, features, and even UI.

@chelfy can you provide more details on sourcing that hard drive? Is the software pretty universal, or is it tied to the part number of your Nav unit?

Yeah I wanted to clone a hard drive based on how much they cost but didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of figuring it out. The one I purchased is from this seller DETROIT SUPER STORE | eBay Stores - https://www.ebay.com/str/detroitsuperstore?_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2563

To my knowledge he's the only person in the U.S. offering them for Lexus Nav units. There is a person in Ukraine, probably great to support them right now, that is very knowledgeable, his email is mapcarua@gmail.com, see this YouTube video description for more deets on that person

They "pair" with your nav unit, so the drive will work on any unit when setup correctly for initial install but then once it's paired with your nav unit it won't work on others.

I ended up buying a replacement hard drive for the nav unit from the seller "toyolexnavspec" on eBay. He currently has them listed for $1500 but accepted $500. Not a cheap solution but everything is back to normal and the seller was helpful with the process.

To remove the nav unit it's pretty easy just follow this video (mostly removing trim pieces for access to 4 bolts)

The hard drive is located on the back side of the nav unit in my 2008 LX570 and requires a T10 to remove the screws then pull out. (battery disconnected at this point). To install the new drive simply push it into place, it'll click sorta, then put the cover with T10 screws back on, slide it back into place in your dash, then connect your main battery, then push the start button once with your foot off the brake and let it boot up at which time you see an "installing" screen. Hopefully, this helps others as I found a lot of dead-end searching.

View attachment 3501615

View attachment 3501616

View attachment 3501617

Great tech. Thanks for posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom