Solar Battery Tenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^ what do you mean by: "Do you have other recommendations for a semi-flexible Merlin panel?"

I don't have personal experience with Merlin panels; however based upon research the past year or so, they sure seem like real deal and are used in the commercial trucking space so they sure seem to be up to the task. I just installed 2-175w inexpensive mono-glass panels atop my little trailer and after a week camped a couple weeks ago, 8200' full on sun everyday, I was less than impressed with their lower angle sun performance. Although none of the solar panel mfgs, Merlin included, publish the angle of efficiency drop, Merlin does get good reviews from the field about "real world performance" including better lower angle sun collection and better performance on thin cloudy days compared to many other panels.

Would amorphous panels make a difference? I'm pretty sure they have better low-light, light angle performance than monochrystaline.

I put one of the 25w amorphous panels from Harbor Freight (Thunderbolt kit) on my trailer and ran the connection to the battery thru the Harbor Freight Thunderbolt MPPT controller. So far (6 months later), it's been excellent at keeping the battery (NAPA Legend75 Series 49 lead acid) charged up even in low light conditions.

I'm considering adding solar to my LX. It's parked outside all day and the fridge is in there. The battery in the truck is a NAPA Legend75 Series 49 AGM. It can run the fridge for 2 days comfortably, but gets pretty low. At home, I plug in my NOCO Genius5 battery charger every few days to top off the battery. My 100amp alternator doesn't do a great job keeping the AGM topped off. I just don't think there is enough current to handle the battery. So my thought is to use solar to supplement the alternator charging and handle "engine-off" maintenance when parked. Was thinking of using the HQST 100W mono panel off Amazon (has good reviews)....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018BMGTTO/?coliid=I2F40UPC0JRUHP&colid=172JLLF32YYWG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it and pair with an MPPT controller (mounted in the cap to avoid engine bay heat). Was thinking of a fancy Redarc BCDC1225D, but that's really more suitable for dual battery setups as I understand it. I'd mount the panel to my Gamiviti roof rack. If I'm not mistaken, MPPT is a much better (more efficient) option than using a PWM controller.

What would be the difference between a good MPPT controller and the battery minder (https://www.batteryminders.com/12-volt-solar-battery-charger-SCC-180)? Is one superior to the other?

My impression is that these reported/alleged variations between panels of the same type when it comes to low sun elevation angle are a bit of a red herring. I don't think those are large effects -if any at all. And would be hard to measure accurately with good instruments under good test conditions, so anything less rigorous is probably pure guessing. It is possible that different panels may have different anti-reflection coatings that would make a difference at low sun elevation but that is when the energy production is also small on an absolute basis so I doubt it makes any significant difference in real terms. Other effects such as orientation, cleanliness of the panel, etc likely make a much bigger difference, I think. So I would not use such alleged variations as a basis for purchase. But I would be interested in learning otherwise.

The other day, my panels were visibly dirty with dust and dirt, but not dramatically so. Nothing outlandish, just normal been outside for a couple of weeks dirty. Like you could easily see the cells. I cleaned the glass and got something like 5% (maybe a bit more, I forgot) more power out of them immediately, everything else about the same.

As to the discussion about "flexible" panels, if you are talking about Silicon cells, you have the fundamental problem that the silicon slices have to be inordinately thin to show even a modicum of bendability, which is definitely not good for durability. Maybe OK if you are planning to keep them for a couple of years, and treat them very gingerly during that time, but I would not count on them lasting anywhere as long as a rigid panel. I would not go that route personally, unless there is a serious constraint that makes this unavoidable.

I've used these flexible panels in marine applications and have always heard of there extreme durability. I'm planning to pick up their 110W for our camping set up.

For bonus points, I believe Toyota uses SunPower panels on their buildings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom