Soft brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All, I picked up my new 93 fzj yesterday. The thing is great, but the brakes are super squishy. They don’t seem to do the best at stopping the beast either. My guess is if it was the brake booster, they’d be the opposite, very hard/stiff.

any ideas what it could be? Old broken down fluid? Bad master? Bad lspv?

mid appreciate any help!

Given that the truck is new to you I would start with a simple base line of the brake system. Flush the old fluid out, check the pads and rotors, check the soft brake lines to see if any have let go and are bulging. Definitely worth checking the function of the LSPV. By the time you have all that done I will be amazed if you don't have fantastic brakes.

Given that the truck is new to you I would start with a simple base line of the brake system. Flush the old fluid out, check the pads and rotors, check the soft brake lines to see if any have let go and are bulging. Definitely worth checking the function of the LSPV. By the time you have all that done I will be amazed if you don't have fantastic brakes.

How can I check the function of the lspv?

How can I check the function of the lspv?
Not sure if the FSM has a test procedure but I ended up just removing mine to check the the functionality on the bench using compressed air. The whole inside mechanism on mine was seized solid. It is quite easy and very quick to test off the vehicle.

Is your abs light on? Better question when you put it in low does it come on? If it’s working as @Irish Reiver said check the soft lines and check for leaks. Flush the fluid and bleed the brakes. A 27 year old abs system will need some attention to work properly. Or you may decide like a lot have that it’s better to get rid of the abs altogether.

Vehicle brakes are a system, not just a bunch of parts. And your system is now 27 years old, so it is not realistic to expect them to function at 100%.
Brake efficiency slowly degrades over time (insert frog in boiling water metaphor).
Thickness of the rotors and pads, condition of the calipers, condition of the soft brake lines, vacuum assist, master cylinder, and fluid all play a role.

I strongly recommend using all OEM parts. New OEM rotors and pads are not expensive, you can rebuild front and rear calipers with Toyota parts for a few sheckles, or spring for remanufactured calipers. New soft brake lines should be close to the top of your list, and stay away from the marketing crap of "stainless steel braided" lines.
All OEM part numbers have already been researched for you on several threads. Here's a good one:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom