so you want some "new" tires for your 70? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
with an old worn out set of ENS take offs sitting here it was time to try an idea i have been fostering for months. i wanted larger grooves in the tires, i wanted to keep the tires working for a while yet and i wanted to play.
so a call to Peter and he was nice enough to lend me his grooving machine. basicly it is like a fancy iron with different tips that make different size groves.

point one. make sure the gooving blade is in right side out, there happens to be a sharp edge and a dull side. the dull side really sucks. second make sure the contact points are clean and the groover works wonders.

as you can see the tires were getting pretty tired and traction was poor to say the least...
what is it 001.jpg
what is it 002.jpg

first i wanted to get some serious grooves in the middle for god old fashion forward traction...
i used the 22 mm tip for this pass...
starting to look like an off road skinny tire...
(yep, that is cow crap on there, i didn't bother with washing the tires for an experiment)
what is it 003.jpg

then some side traction grooves were cut into the tire, more fingers, more traction, more grip...
what is it 004.jpg

so this is the process as it was completed. the difference is night and day and should give a good year or 2 of off road use out of otherwise scrap tires.

i am looking forward to seeing them perform on the Sept Long weekend run in a couple weekends...
cheers
what is it 005.jpg

How long did that take you?

looks good :) almost like an xml

Maybe I need to borrow a groover for mine :D

it took a total of about 2 relaxing hours to do 4 tires...
it really was fun, a bit nerving when cutting across the face but still fun...

Wayne,

That looks impressive!!

I've been trying to regroove my Simex jungle trekkers to get a little more life and grip out of them.

Don't suppose you have a picture of the re-groover do you as I'm having trouble finding one over here in Aus.

Nice one!

actually, yah, i do have the little unit still here. Peter has been kind enough to have me store it for a bit. i will see if i can find a brand and serial number for you.
cheers

being that they are mounted on split rims i don't have that worry but i would be tempted to have a go at the balancing just to see how bad they are...
since roughly the same amount of rubber came off all the way around we all might be surprised...

i really love the handle and the grooving tips... even after 2 hours of steady grooving the grip was comfortable to hold.
the contacts on the bottom are nice and heavy duty...
what is it 008.jpg
what is it 009.jpg
what is it 010.jpg

I was wondering if it was a $69 jobbie or a $300 unit. It looks to be the latter.

Thanks!

Thats great, thanks Wayne.

Will have to see whats available over here.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom