So I want an FJ 40 but... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
***Disclaimer***

If you're a FJ 40 purest DONT READ BELOW!!

***END DISCLAIMER***

So I have really fallen in love with these FJ 40's and I have grown to love the shape, well almost. I've always been a Jeep guy more so than a Toyota guy. The more I look at pictures the more I wanted one. The problem was they were either in really bad shape and wanted top dollar or they were in really great shape and wanted top dollar, a kidney, left testicle, a lunch and while they were at it the other kidney. Honestly for what I wanted to do with it neither of these options worked for me. Well, they could have worked but what fun would that have been. So I happen to have a friend that bought an FJ 40 that I could pull some measurements from. After spending a little time measuring and researching, boy that thing was JACKED UP. It was a real struggle trying to pull anything constant from this FJ. However for what I was doing, it will work.

So the first step was to order some cold rolled sheet metal. I ordered some 16 and 18 ga sheet metal, about 10 sheets each. Then I went to the computer and try to draw the basic shapes. With my rough measurements I can cut some blanks to get started with.

So my thought was I would start with the smaller pieces. I started with the inner fenders on the back.

image.jpeg

So now I needed to make a die for my Pullmax so I can make the same shape as the FJ40 upper body edge. I think it turned out pretty good.

image.jpeg

I'm interested

There is always a two step process on making a panel. The next part of this equation is to make a guide so I can run that die over edge of the panel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I guess I should have stated my plans first. I have a 6.0 Chevy engine that I'm going to put in this with a Dana 60 front and 14 bolt. I already have them built with Detroit lockers chromoly shafts and OX joints. I also already have the DOM tubing for the tube chassis. I want it to look the FJ40 part (kinda) but I want a rock crawler. I also Have my Corbeu seats already. The picture is what I'm aiming for. Also, sorry it takes so long to post, I'm doing it with an iPhone.

image.jpeg

Front cowl section I cut. As you see I have the slot for the louvers. Well, crap I don't have a louver punch... Let's make one.

image.jpeg

Basically I wanted a louver tool that I could cut any length louver. I'll just post the pictures. Basically I take a chuck of steel and face the pieces and then put on the index table and machine the shape into the edge with a ball end mill.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dang picture limit...

So, fast forward...

Typically you make a few passes first cutting the metal then pressing the shape in. I used a short cut by cutting the 1/16" slit on the CNC.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So let's test this out...

Ok, so it works better than I thought and it's very similar to the louver cutter that you could buy in the 50-60's.

Let's actually use it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Damn, man.

You have some major skills, and some awesome tools.

This is gonna be good!

I haven't 100% decided what to do with the vent hole on the front cowl piece. To me, it's an iconic piece that really defines the FJ40. On the other hand it's a vent and I don't know that I actually need it. So for now, I will leave that unfinished so I can either delete or do something cool/different. I did however leave enough meet to form what ever I want to form there, meaning the stock shape.

Here is basicly the "rear" comp cut sections. So I made another hammer form so I can fold the lip on the fender down and it served another purpose to be a guide for the edge die. In one of these pictures you can see the MDF under the sheet metal. I was in the process of removing it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom