So disappointed with my FlexLite electric cooling fans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, this is a bit of a rant... please forgive... but I figured I'd share my hard earned experience and perhaps save others some hardship in the process.

DO NOT BUY A 412 DUAL FLEX-A-LITE FAN SET FOR YOUR VORTEC SWAP
... There, I said it. Feels good. Now... why?

You may be thinking, "I thought Flex-A-Lite was a high quality American company that made dependable off road products." Well, in my humble experience, you'd be wrong... I thought that too and I tried for several years to prove myself correct. I was unable.

I bought a 412 Dual 12" Flex-A-Lite puller off road fan set for my swap about 6-7 years ago and I am removing them once and for all this summer. Here's why:

1. Plowed into a big puddle deep on a trail on a 100 degree day on GA... water splashed all around under the hood. Great fun, but the water splashed up into the fans... which caused them to flex a bit. This caused a blade to hit the radiator, which then stabbed a hole in the radiator and broke the fan. Fun over. I was able to stuff some putty in the hole, refill with a jug of coolant I had with me, and had to cut off the opposite blade on the fan to re-balance it enough to get off the trail without overheating and onto the highway to get home.

2. I have replaced 3 motors over 6 years. And #4 is on the way out. They have have just burned out... awful electric fried smell... and not even in stressful conditions. I don't trail this truck that much really.

3. I have replaced 2 fan blades.

4. I built a custom reinforced mount system with a rear support in hope of stabilizing. Didn't help.

5. I cannot stand how loud they are.

6. I even added the variable controller... still too loud to even order food at a drive through.

Yes, they did the cooling job well enough. But I have to say that the time / horse power saved by going electric has been grossly out weighed by the issues and frustration.

Now, with the 4th fan motor showing signs of eminent failure, its time to go mechanical. So the plan is:

1. Build a shroud with this kit:
Summit Racing® Adjustable Aluminum Fan Shroud Kits SUM-380457-SH

2. Find a long-ish GM fan clutch - I read about using a mid '80s Caddy clutch to get the fan closer to the radiator... any suggested part numbers to look for?

3. Stop worrying about when the fan motor will blow out or the fan blade will poke a hole in the radiator.

4. Enjoy some peace of mind and some quite.

Please weight in on this if you disagree. Am I crazy? Or am I missing something? What are your experiences? I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks for listening. :)
-Don

What are your experiences?

I ran an 18" Mark VIII Electric fan (4400 cfm)for a few years..... great until it wasn't ... electrical plug started to come off loose after countless dirt roads, it then it started to arc.... this melted the plug, was lucky enough to see/smell the trouble looming ahead. .

Been a few years since i switch to a GM stock mechanical fan....
life is simple again. ..

Ford Taurus 2 speed fan with a Delta controller.
Ran this for years in my old V8 Grand Cherokee and never had an issue.
Or add a switch to turn off when fording.

Mechanical fan is another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom