Snow tires - any consensus of good ones? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to get a set of new tires on the 100 - and considering a separate set of snow tires as I will be dealing with a good amount of snow for the season. Ran across these - Kumho Road Venture AT51 - has anyone seen these in action? I am open to any tire, just looking for something that will be good in the snow. I presently have Goodyear Duratracs, but doubt it they have enough tread to make it through the winter, and I have never really been that happy with them in the snow, though others have said they are amazing in the snow. TIA.

Last edited:
Snowflake rated, and actual snow tires are different. Dedicated snow tires have so much more traction on snow than a snowflake rated tire that it almost isn't a fair comparison.

I have Blizzak DMV-2's on my pickup and they're very good.

As far as the AT51's I had a set, they worked adequatly, got 93k miles out of them, but they were pretty done by the end of their life. Not super inspiring traction wise. I would get Michillin LTX M/S 2's if you want a regular tire with good snow traction.

Nokian hakkas get a lot of love on this forum, and they seem to be a fantastic tire. I took a gamble on Firestone Winterforce 2 UV as they are very well reviewed and bonkers cheap. I've had them on for a about 1500 miles of real winter driving so far and haven't been disappointed. Too early to have an opinion on wear, but they balanced well, are quiet, and grip on ice and snow far better than the KO2's I've ran the last couple winters. I know comparing a dedicated winter to a snowflake rated A/T is unfair, but all I'm saying is I've been happy with them.

Waiting to try these out.....if it ever snows.....LT 265-70x17

Goodyear Ultra Terrains....have em on the 'Taco truck too

MJ0chdG.jpg

As far as the AT51's I had a set, they worked adequatly, got 93k miles out of them, but they were pretty done by the end of their life. Not super inspiring traction wise. I would get Michillin LTX M/S 2's if you want a regular tire with good snow traction.

Thanks @yukon - glad to know someone had a set - probably will get something else but nice to know.

Nokians are the best. I’m in Alaska and have run them on all our vehicles for well over 10 years. Currently have vehicles running Hakka 5, 7 and now two with Hakka 9’s. On my 6th winter on Hakka 7’s on my ‘13 LX570.

Laramie trail cutters, Nokian Hakkapelita, Cooper M+S. These are winter specific tires.

All studded

I use Cooper Discovery AT3 on my daily drive truck and get great traction throughout the winter. That being said we put Blizzak's on rest of vehicles. they are strictly winter tires but their traction is amazing when compared to anything else I have tried.

I have using Bridgestone Blizzak the last 4 winters awesome. You will not be disappointed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom