Builds Snoopy Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess I'll start a build thread on the newest addition to our family, Snoop, the cruiser. A little background about us and the rig:

Us:

I'm a fireman (36 yo) from Northern VA, my wife is a nurse, I have 2 girls, 10 and 7, and a boy, Elijah, due October 11th! We are busy! between getting them to gymnastics, jujitsu, to the mountains in Nelson County to visit family and everywhere else we need capable vehicles. We are a Toyota family. My wife drives a Highlander, and we bought my folks a Carolla. Ive had a 4-runner, Taco, 85 pickup (22R) lifted, and a Camry. I come from a long line of Chevy lovers and have a soft spot for the old ones though!

Snoopy:

I sold my old 87 Chevy Scottsdale after my wife got pregnant and decided I needed something that could haul 3 kids, a beautiful woman, and a beagle named Levi. I have always salivated over Land Cruisers so I decided to start the search. Budget was tight, but I found a guy in Rochester who was really cutting me a great deal and working with me on the price so I bought a plane ticket, flew down from BWI and drove her back.

The statistics

96 FZJ80
196,000 miles
I'm the 3rd Owner
Vehicle was Cali car, bought in Texas, ziebart lined and relocated to Rochester. Now in good 'ol VA
Paint is decent, motor looks great, runs great, drives great
interior is fantastic for the age...grey cloth, no rips or stains
PO replaced valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket
Bone stock

There were a few minor issues I'll cover in the build thread but nothing alarming......

Intended use is my DD, Family adventure vehicle, light to moderate trails (Nothing but Jeeps in the firehouse lot so I have to represent once in a while), Northern VA snows, Family travels to the mountains and lake to visit our families.

Plan A ...... Roof Basket, OME 2.5, IPOR Sliders, 285/75/16 DuraTracks, Maybe a front bumper (non-winch)

Plan B ..... Roof Basket, OME 2.5, IPOR Sliders, Skid armor, 285/75/16 DuraTracks, Front bumper with integrated winch, IPOR rear with spare swingout, Light city!!!

Here are some stock photos, and I'll start posting some of the little fixes and things I've been doing as well
upload_2015-9-25_21-41-15.png
upload_2015-9-25_21-41-29.png

upload_2015-9-25_21-44-37.png

IMG_4037.JPG

The first Step was to deal with the wheels, I have a tradition, and it wasn't wasted on this rig....satin black rattle can! The picture above looks OK, but trust me, the wheels were nasty! Pretty beat up and gross, so I did what I must.
upload_2015-9-25_21-48-8.png

Ahhhh, all better....Next I had to deal with some pesky visors. I chose to do magnets in the headliner, but use a washer and double magnet on the visor itself. That way the ceiling is clean but the visor has a magnet I can put stuff in between. It also keeps the visor up nice and tight!
upload_2015-9-25_21-52-45.png
upload_2015-9-25_21-53-2.png

When I win the lotto I'll do a Diesel Transplant for SURE!!!!

I also had to deal with a loose, flapping, flair molding...drill/ziptie ...snug as bug
upload_2015-9-25_21-55-23.png

one of the tabs had sheered off so two sets of holes, one set underneath, and one set on the inside of the bottom "boot" and a couple zip ties and its super tight.

The CD player was OOS (out of service) and the antenna was broken. I just swibed the antenna for a rubber one from NAPA and replaced the head unit with a nice pioneer single din with all the trimmings...
upload_2015-9-25_22-1-28.png
upload_2015-9-25_22-1-41.png

I wired the mic through the dash up the A post and its clipper next to the visor on the fabric molding lip...clean look... everything works great...Now I just need to figure out what speakers I can run with no amp or anything crazy...

upload_2015-9-25_21-59-29.png

Received the gutter mounts and started painting them, and my mirrors as one needed replaced and I member here on mud took care of me at a great price. Off color so I am giving the mirrors the same satin rattle can treatment to match the wheels and rack...also gives Snoopy the needed black ears...
upload_2015-9-25_22-15-34.png

The gutter mounts are AMAZINGLY well done. The 3/4 basket gets here next week! Can't wait to paint it up and mount it!
@reevesci is the man! Best customer service I've had.. A+ for sure! Check him out!

Other than that I'm just fixing a few small things right now, oh yea and I fixed a 401 with the VSV relocation fix. There are a few threads on it as you guys know.

Next major stuff should be Tires then OME. I'll post pictures of the rack when its up and another of how the mirror turned out tomorrow if I get a chance. I had to order a crank sensor to fix a drip also as it was cracked with a bad gasket. I did the Oring fix for now, but it needed replaced so ... its on the way. Thanks for reading and.......

THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE ON MUD!

Congrats in advance on the new addition to your family. And the land cruiser too! Great color. Are those seats cloth?

Welcome, Snoopy is the best name I've heard yet.

Received the gutter mounts and started painting them, and my mirrors as one needed replaced and I member here on mud took care of me at a great price. Off color so I am giving the mirrors the same satin rattle can treatment to match the wheels and rack...also gives Snoopy the needed black ears...
View attachment 1138897

The gutter mounts are AMAZINGLY well done. The 3/4 basket gets here next week! Can't wait to paint it up and mount it!
@reevesci is the man! Best customer service I've had.. A+ for sure! Check him out!

Other than that I'm just fixing a few small things right now, oh yea and I fixed a 401 with the VSV relocation fix. There are a few threads on it as you guys know.

Next major stuff should be Tires then OME. I'll post pictures of the rack when its up and another of how the mirror turned out tomorrow if I get a chance. I had to order a crank sensor to fix a drip also as it was cracked with a bad gasket. I did the Oring fix for now, but it needed replaced so ... its on the way. Thanks for reading and.......

THANKS TO EVERYONE HERE ON MUD!

J, Thanks for the bump on my racks and mounts. I can't wait to see it on top of Snoopy. Thanks again for the order.

Jason

Man, I wanted to do a headlight upgrade to get a little more light (I've always needed a bit more at night) but after a day of searching and reading on here POO POO ON THAT! I've never been more confused in my whole life. Holly smokes! Lol.

View attachment 1141648
Roof rack painted and mounted!
Thanks @reevesci !!! This thing is the bees' knees!
Looks good man.

Just so everyone knows, the standard mounts are 1" shorter than the ones used here. Leaving the OE rack/rails in place was taken into consideration for this customer.

The lower mounts allow for full operation/tilt-lift of the sunroof.

Thanks for the pics. Glad you like it.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom