Sniper Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been running 91 on my Sniper from day one over 4,000 miles. Yesterday getting gas I threw in 87 as 91 was not available. Actually thought engine ran as good if not better with 87 octane? I have had a slight hesitation at times accelerating that did not show up running the lower grade. Sniper tuning software does not run on Macs so I haven't been able to play with the mapping.

Any other experiences running lower octane gas on these Snipers? Price of Premium does get your attention these days.
I started running 85 in mine as soon as I swapped to the Sniper. I immediately loaded everything I own into the truck and drove from Colorado to Florida with no problems other than long steep climbs. When I got to Florida their low grade was 87 so I ran that for six months. I worked out some literal kinks in the throttle cable and it has been running alright. After six months in Florida I loaded everything up and drove to Montana. Other than losing my in-line fuel pump due to a bad ground terminal and replacing the O2 sensor just for good measure the truck ran like a champ.

At one point I found ethanol free 87 at a gas station in Kansas and I ran a tank of that. It was just fine.

I’ve been running 87 up here in Montana for the past few weeks and it’s been great. I did stop half way through Wyoming and reset the sniper because it was really struggling with the altitude. After that it seemed to map everything out properly and other than the typical sluggishness of the 2F it handled the hills fine.

I’m not sure if I have run 91 in through the Sniper or not. One thing that appealed to me with this set up is the ability to run lower octane fuel. I recall reading a thread on this topic before I did the swap but I have no idea where it is.

Something else to consider is recurving your dizzy, if you didn’t do that.

High-octane gas is a waste of money in anything but a high-compression engine; that is it's only purpose. a 2F is what, 8.5:1? A tractor engine designed to run on s*** gas anywhere in the world. The form of aspiration has no bearing on the octane requirement.

For what it’s worth, the owners manual for my 87 that came with the truck recommends 91 or better. I ran 85 for years before I switched to 91 and I noticed a difference. With the sniper I don’t notice any difference in any fuel I use. Maybe in the long run I’ll be able to tell the difference as I get more familiar with it.

I wrapped up the throttle cable today and figured I share the details on that. I hear you on not cutting the cable too short. I'm not entirely happy with the setup, but more on that later.

Throttle Cable:
I went with the suggestion found in other posts to use the hand throttle connection at the top of the accelerator pedal. This requires you to drill a hole in the firewall. Not difficult but the hold location doesn't work with the brake booster heat shield. Now that I look at it...maybe it would have with some bending, but I think it would hit. I removed the heat shield which required cutting it. Otherwise, you'd need to fully remove the brake booster and disconnect the lines. The cable I used was from Downey but I think it's a stock Holley part? The plastic bushing added to the top of the throttle pedal is a Toyota part.

The issue with this setup is that it makes for a very sensitive throttle. A small amount of pedal travel results in a lot of movement at the Sniper. It's drivable, just not ideal. I'm going to add an extension to the throttle arm on the Sniper to help with this.

View attachment 2951888

View attachment 2951889

View attachment 2951890

View attachment 2951891

Does anyone know more about this Toyota part?

I can't remember the part number fort the throttle bushing/stop/holder but I found it somewhere on this forum. I got an OEM one somehow, but there's an image below for a substitute from FJ60Cam.

Quick update on the sniper install: I've been driving and loving the new setup. A few things:
- It pulls a lot better. Feels like 20% more power. That's probably because my carb was running waaaay too rich. Hopefully the headers added a few hp too.
- It does not run well at full throttle. 7/8 throttle is great but once I go to WOT it just misses a little. I'm not sure why. Maybe poor fuel/air mixing. I don't see anything in the tune that could be causing issues. I have an idea that I'm going to try.
- It does not like cold starts. The headers removed the carb heat and it really struggles on a cold morning. Summer is fine but it's needs 100% IAC to keep going on a cold winter morning. It does work, it just takes all of the IAC.
- There is a very annoying stall that I have not been able to fix yet. It only happens when the engine is warming up and near operating temp. When I'm coming to a stop the idle just drops through the floor and the engine stalls. When I restart it runs fine. It does not happen when the engine is cold or fully up to temp. I've been messing with all the idle settings and can't seem to resolve it. The controls that Holley gives are very basic...wish I had more tables to work with. Any ideas on this one???

I can't remember the part number fort the throttle bushing/stop/holder but I found it somewhere on this forum. I got an OEM one somehow, but there's an image below for a substitute from FJ60Cam.

Quick update on the sniper install: I've been driving and loving the new setup. A few things:
- It pulls a lot better. Feels like 20% more power. That's probably because my carb was running waaaay too rich. Hopefully the headers added a few hp too.
- It does not run well at full throttle. 7/8 throttle is great but once I go to WOT it just misses a little. I'm not sure why. Maybe poor fuel/air mixing. I don't see anything in the tune that could be causing issues. I have an idea that I'm going to try.
- It does not like cold starts. The headers removed the carb heat and it really struggles on a cold morning. Summer is fine but it's needs 100% IAC to keep going on a cold winter morning. It does work, it just takes all of the IAC.
- There is a very annoying stall that I have not been able to fix yet. It only happens when the engine is warming up and near operating temp. When I'm coming to a stop the idle just drops through the floor and the engine stalls. When I restart it runs fine. It does not happen when the engine is cold or fully up to temp. I've been messing with all the idle settings and can't seem to resolve it. The controls that Holley gives are very basic...wish I had more tables to work with. Any ideas on this one???
Exactly my experience.

Finally fixed a nagging stall issue! The sniper has worked great except for a frustrating stall at idle that occurs when the engine is warming up. It's most likely when coasting to a stop with the engine partially warmed up. I know others have experienced this too.

My fix was to reduce how much fuel the closed loop can pull out at idle. The default of up to -10%. What was happening is the engine would overreact to a rich condition, pull out a bunch of fueling, and then it couldn't recover. I set the max closed loop to about -2% and have had zero stalls over the last two cold days.

Below is my updated closed loop table. My config file is HERE. Note, I'm running long tube headers so my VE table will be a little off for an engine running stock exhaust.

HCL.png

Can you post up some pictures of your vacuum hose routing and what you left in place after teh sniper install? I am looking to simplify my engine bay and I believe there is still a ton of SMOG stuff i can remove.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom