Smaller rear lights? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know of a company that makes a smaller tail light? I am afraid I would hit the stock off road and break it.

Some ppl are making guards for the tails that bolt in behind them, but im a little leary of spending $300 on them and wonder if they will work for anything more than a tree branch slap.

The "big" size may be due to minimum visible rear surface area requirements from NTSB. It is likely possible to reallocate the shape, but the total surface area size is probably about as small as we can expect. Folks havn't seem to be busting them off so this may be a unwarranted concern. I haven't had problems, but rarely "pinch" my rig so tight.

It's so funny to me how many people say to us that those lights are going to get smashed when we first show up at events. On the Central team we have never had a problem with the vulnerability of the rear tail lights, nor have I heard of any of the other teams breaking them. On the Rubicon at Walker's Rock I put a strap on the roof rack to pull the back of the FJC away from potential damage.

Personally I am more concerned with tailgaters noticing my brake lights, and for that they are quite apparent. Many light guards I have seen actually tranfer the blow to the body of the vehicle instead of just the light. I would give that some consideration before you throw down for a set.

Happy trails,

Chris

thats kind of what i was thinking with the guards, I was a little leary of how well they would work. Besides, i think they are ugly.

for the record, Tim S. did a heck of a job climbing up a tough section of trail at PAP in PA but it cost him (though not really him personally) a passenger side tail light lense.. but it was worth it in entertainment value !

Wheeled FJCs several times now at Tellico and never had an issue with tail lights.

Thanks for sharing Jeffrey. I wasn't aware that a Trail Team member had crunched one, so I stand corrected. I still take the stance on thinking the size is benficial to other drivers behind FJ's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom