SM465 feedback (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engusa.com
So I have read a lot of posts about going with the sm465. Half of what I read on the internet talks about how loud it is, how bad it shifts, etc.

Before I did my sm465 swap I almost did not do it because of the negative comments.

Therefore I just wanted to post this for future wheelers. I think the sm465 is great. I run a 1975 2F with a sm465 and Orion (don't do the AA adapter it's too long, get the plate adapter, I tried both). I can cruise at 60 mph with 34's and I think it shifts just fine. Soon to be 37's SOA (fj62 widened front and fj80 FF rear).

fj40's are not made to go at 70-80 mph. I think the sm465 shifts just fine. Also, the louder the rig is the better IMOH.

So if you debating the swap, do it.

So I have read a lot of posts about going with the sm465. Half of what I read on the internet talks about how loud it is, how bad it shifts, etc.

Before I did my sm465 swap I almost did not do it because of the negative comments.

Therefore I just wanted to post this for future wheelers. I think the sm465 is great. I run a 1975 2F with a sm465 and Orion (don't do the AA adapter it's too long, get the plate adapter, I tried both). I can cruise at 60 mph with 34's and I think it shifts just fine. Soon to be 37's SOA (fj62 widened front and fj80 FF rear).

fj40's are not made to go at 70-80 mph. I think the sm465 shifts just fine. Also, the louder the rig is the better IMOH.

So if you debating the swap, do it.
I loved the sm465 set up I had with my 2f. I ran 60 no problem with 37"

Screenshot_20201112-120852_Gallery.jpg

I once installed a SM420 in a '73 40. I thought it was awesome, at the time. However, I don't remember all the tech, so I don't really know how to feel when a Muncie box comes up on Craigslist.

I have a SM465 long shaft 18 spline (that's the older 4wd version, right?) and I was thinking of using it, doesn't the 465 hang down significantly lower than the toyota 4 speed? My Chevota 🎤

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom