Slow to start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 80 (97 lx450) doesnt want to start right away when it’s cold. If it’s warm it seems to start right up.

It has:

New starter
New distributor, rotor, wires, and plugs
New orings on the fuel injectors
New fuel filter

Also, I smelled some fuel after a cold start failure.

Thoughts?

my 80 (97 lx450) doesnt want to start right away when it’s cold. If it’s warm it seems to start right up.

It has:

New starter
New distributor, rotor, wires, and plugs
New orings on the fuel injectors
New fuel filter

Also, I smelled some fuel after a cold start failure.

Thoughts?

So it turns over OK but it does not fire up ad run?

Correct. It turns and doesn’t start right away.

Barring any fuel leaks....I'd check your fuel pressure.

If no leaks... and fuel pressure is good, its possible one or more of your injectors have issues (not spraying correctly, or weak pulse).

I had the battery load tested at NAPA today. I have a 1150 cca group 31 and it tested at 775 cca. He said that it indicates that I should replace the battery. It's 39 F out today for reference.

I hate to ask the obvious but does it sound like I have a bad battery and it could explain the intermittent delayed starting?

Another data point. 80 started up right away this morning. I stopped off to drop off a package at FedEx and when I went to start up the 80 it would start on the first start. The starter was spinning it just wouldn't fire up. Second attempt and it started right up.

I had the battery load tested at NAPA today. I have a 1150 cca group 31 and it tested at 775 cca. He said that it indicates that I should replace the battery. It's 39 F out today for reference.

I hate to ask the obvious but does it sound like I have a bad battery and it could explain the intermittent delayed starting?

Another data point. 80 started up right away this morning. I stopped off to drop off a package at FedEx and when I went to start up the 80 it would start on the first start. The starter was spinning it just wouldn't fire up. Second attempt and it started right up.

When you say "the starter was spinning", do you mean it was spinning WITHOUT engaging? Or it was actually turning over the engine?

What are the volts across the battery? If they are 12.5 or less, the battery needs to be replaced. It is possible you have a loose plate inside the battery that keeps shorting to other plates.

Yes, it was engaging the flex plate and spinning the engine. Volts across the battery were 12.7.

When it's not starting, if the starter and engine are spinning sluggishly then you should consider replacing battery or starter. If those things are spinning normally and aggressively and you're just not getting it to fire over, then it's something else. These coils are not known to have issues, but anything is possible.

Ever had a compression test done on your cylinders?

I have not had a compression test done. It’s always had an intermittent slight stumble at idle that drives my OCD nuts.

17 degrees F this morning and it started right up.

Start simple, by replacing the battery. How old is said battery?

I’ve “heard” that cycling the key 2-3 times helps. Turn it to start, but not cranking the motor, Do this 2-3 times, that way if your fuel system is “depressurizing” your fuel pump will “prime” the system. Not sure if this would help on a 80 or not, but it makes sense. If it helps then you just have to track down the leak! Good luck!:flipoff2:

this sounds more like fuel delivery. Some members have had success cleaning or replacing their Fuel Pump Relay.

I tried to open mine up to clean it, but it looked like a pain to open up and I figured I would surely break the tabs, so I ordered a new OEM one for about $80

I would also check your fuel pressure regulator.

The fact you smelled fuel is a bit concerning. Have you ever changed your charcoal canister? Do you get a wooshing noise when you open your gas cap after a long drive?

this sounds more like fuel delivery. Some members have had success cleaning or replacing their Fuel Pump Relay.

I tried to open mine up to clean it, but it looked like a pain to open up and I figured I would surely break the tabs, so I ordered a new OEM one for about $80

I would also check your fuel pressure regulator.

The fact you smelled fuel is a bit concerning. Have you ever changed your charcoal canister? Do you get a wooshing noise when you open your gas cap after a long drive?

I did replace the charcoal canister last year. New fuel filter too. I pulled the injectors last year because one of them was leaking externally from a bad bushing. They were cleaned and balanced about 10 years ago.

I agree about the fuel smell. It only happens sometimes if it doesn’t start right away. There is no external fuel leak that I can see.

I did replace the charcoal canister last year. New fuel filter too. I pulled the injectors last year because one of them was leaking externally from a bad bushing. They were cleaned and balanced about 10 years ago.

I agree about the fuel smell. It only happens sometimes if it doesn’t start right away. There is no external fuel leak that I can see.

Then I would check the Fuel Pump Relay. If you search there are instructions on how to clean it, but as I said I opted to just a get a new one and keep the other one for a trail spare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom