Sloppy steering on my FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Alright, finally got the old girl back from the alignment shop. Here are the results:

• Caster angles measured 3.25 on the left front and 3.75 on the right front.
  • The drag link that connects to the pitman arm needed to be screwed down about two revolutions. Other side was fine.
  • The nut on the steering box appears to have been tightened down to the max by the previous owner. I was advised to start looking for a new gear box or a rebuild soon.

The free play demonstrated in the video still exists, although the steering feels ever so slightly less sloppy now.

Based on guidance from @Cruiserdrew, the caster angle seems to be within a reasonable range although I'm a little surprised to see a difference between the left and right sides.

Should I start focusing on the gear box now? What do you think?

I would. I worked my way to the steering gear box through all the steering parts and ball joints on my Olde International Travelall, and after dealing with the wonders of reverse direction steering boxes between models and years, I got it swapped out correctly. Made the difference! It no longer wanders like I do at the sporting goods store!
My 62 still runs straight!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom