Sliders converted into air tanks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know how to drill and tap the holes to insert a quick disconnect for a Compressor hose for filling the sliders with an air Compressor.

What I need and want is the ability to also fill the sliders with a common gas station air hose used for filling tires.

What type of steel valve stem or set up should I use to screw directly into the slider?

Schraeder valve

schrader valve - Google Search:

48DE6EC2-3B5E-4EDE-831F-22FF6A085063.jpeg

While you are drilling and tapping you could also put in a drain and just empty it out every so often. Install all the way to the rear then all you need to do is pull up on a curb for a minute, let all the water run to the rear, and drain it.

That too is a very good idea.
A flush mounted, hex key drain plug.

I have to say that unless you have sliders that wrap completely around your vehicle, you likely won’t have enough volume for filling tires. Something like a Powertank works because it is at 1000psi. A 4’ long piece of 2” tube is only going to have 0.09 cubic feet of space in it. I’ve seen people use sliders, bumpers, and such for air tanks connected to a compressor for some additional storage, but for filling tires the volume required quickly is dependent on the compressor itself.

That too is a valid point.

How much do do you think I can get into the sliders?
How does one fill a power tank? Do you need a dive shop to submerge tank In water to keep it cool while filling? Can I convert a dive tank for my needs?
So many variables.
1507404737134861065764.jpg
1507404765886383070310.jpg

Cool idea, but volume is the issue. I would suggest reorganizing your search for a
portable compressor. I think a much more viable solution

I have a portable Compressor. I just wanted another option.
2 is 1, 1 is none, but 3 is even better.

power tank...it is a 20 or 25 pound co2 bottle with a high volume regulator. One can use for filling tires, or operating air tools. Can fill at local welding supply. one tank should be plenty good for any one truck per trail trip. No rust, no muss. just toss it in the rig and go. you can use it as a portable compressor around the house too.

Not to throw cold water on an idea I really like, but...

Pressurized tanks have to be inspected annually to ensure there's enough material to hold the pressure. If you're only going to use a 100psi compressor, it (probably) won't ever be a problem, but you'll never see inside a slider which was designed to be a slider and has been converted to a pressure tank.

Those welds probably aren't/won't stay airtight. And if you hit anything, you'll stress the welds beyond their strength to hold the air, and never know it, until it fails.

Buy a tank. There are times when you should consider purpose built equipment. This is one of them.

Just my 2¢; it's worth what you paid for it ;)

Not to throw cold water on an idea I really like, but...

Pressurized tanks have to be inspected annually to ensure there's enough material to hold the pressure. If you're only going to use a 100psi compressor, it (probably) won't ever be a problem, but you'll never see inside a slider which was designed to be a slider and has been converted to a pressure tank.

Those welds probably aren't/won't stay airtight. And if you hit anything, you'll stress the welds beyond their strength to hold the air, and never know it, until it fails.

Buy a tank. There are times when you should consider purpose built equipment. This is one of them.

Just my 2¢; it's worth what you paid for it ;)
Thanks for you're input, as it's greatly appreciated as was everyone else's.
That said and taking everyones wisdom on a forum which Ive held in high regard since 2004, I've s*** canned the idea.

I'll be buying a power tank 15 very soon

Anyone else heading to PISMO NOV 10TH?

I plumbed my Land cruiser with on board air, used the front and rear bumpers both hold air well so I didn't try to use my sliders . System allows for small air tools to

OBA.JPG

Don't know about this first hand but I've heard getting "Power Tanks" filled is a PITA.
Welding shops like my local Airgas won't refill but swap tanks. Just something else to consider.
:beer:

Don't know about this first hand but I've heard getting "Power Tanks" filled is a PITA.
Welding shops like my local Airgas won't refill but swap tanks. Just something else to consider.
:beer:
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom