Sliders: Anyone here fabricate their own? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been dragging my feet on ordering sliders bc of course - cost. Haven't even gotten around to actual mods bc I am currently up to my ass with parts and labor costs baselining my truck.

Was heavily leaning towards WKOR, but their 6-9 week fab time I expect is actually more like 9-12 weeks from what I've heard from others who have placed orders with them. Planning a two-week southwest tour in April and need them on before then.

I pay for access to a metal shop with a MIG welder and tube bender, so I figure I might as well make full use of it!
Been bingeing slider fab videos on YT. While I'm a welding newb, with the exception of bending the tube properly, everything else seems pretty straightforward.

So, if you've made your own bolt-on sliders, let's see em!

Search DIY sliders and you'll get some ideas.

As an alternative, @TRAIL TAILOR (who is somewhat local to you) offers DIY sliders, pre-cut/bent, you weld and paint.

These arrived today, hoping to use all 5 legs per side, about tree fitty w/ shipping. I asked for stickers when I placed my order and they hooked me up. I bought this set for the stickers....🤓

Edit: I’d like to add that from purchase to delivery was about ten days.

31B0F0B1-3E50-4C49-A3D1-5AF0B6071387.jpeg

Last edited:
These arrived today, hoping to use all 5 legs per side, about tree fitty w/ shipping. I asked for stickers when I placed my order and they hooked me up. I bought this set for the stickers....🤓

View attachment 2554178

Nice - what kit is this?

I'm just noticing this now: You joined in 2007 and still nailed it with what I think is the most iconic username on the forum. Props

View attachment 2554178
Yeah, if you can weld at all, get the Marlin crawler 70-inchers.

View attachment 2554178
Share your process please! Do you have AHC? Heavily leaning towards making these bolt-on then copying WKOR - welding gussets to the legs and mounting plates + welding on diamond top plates.

Last edited:
I just made some for about $60 with stuff I had laying around. They are only 69" long though 70 or 71 would be perfect.

I'll probably make another set when I get some more material. I used 1/4" for the mounting plates and half inch grade 8 bolts.

20210115_095156.jpg

20210114_090645.jpg
20210115_095139.jpg

They look good, but as you said a tad short. How long did it take you to make em?

Probably 24 to 30 hours total. Working like 3 to 4 hours per night when the kids went to sleep.

Most of it was spent figuring out the pipe bender and laying out mount locations. A lot of tacking, then fitting on the truck, pulling back off ..repeat

Share your process please! Do you have AHC? Heavily leaning towards making these bolt-on then copying WKOR - welding gussets to the legs and mounting plates + welding on diamond top plates.
I have no process yet, will start building them today, couple great videos on you tube. Just going to size it up with theee jack stands and keep the same amount of clicks each side. I was thinking about gussets, I got some plate steel together, and started sorting things in the garage. Didn’t notice these bad boys wrapped up in with the legs. There’s something to be said for a business that goes to this level of detail, to take the ugly to prettiness....pretty sure Marlin Crawler knows a thing or three about the secret sauce. 😉

56F84FBA-266D-4064-8EDC-9C40211B93FC.jpeg

E6FDCDB0-95FB-4E43-99C2-8C6D3510DB21.jpeg

8C7C9E5C-E9A0-4833-8B4C-2413FE90F306.jpeg

BF6684C0-6A9E-4C19-921D-9B5AFA49EAAD.jpeg

Last edited:
I have no process yet, will start building them today, couple great videos on you tube. Just going to size it up with theee jack stands and keep the same amount of clicks each side. I was thinking about gussets, I got some plate steel together, and started sorting things in the garage. Didn’t notice these bad boys wrapped up in with the legs. There’s something to be said for a business that goes to this level of detail, to take the ugly to prettiness....pretty sure Marlin Crawler knows a thing or three about the secret sauce. 😉

View attachment 2558379

View attachment 2558380

View attachment 2558382

View attachment 2558398
Ayyyy nice! DOIN it, I've been jonesing for my next mod, getting inspired. Stoked to see how these turn out. Do you have AHC though??

I'm sure you learned a lot. I'm only doing like 1/3 of the fabrication, but it'll still take at least 8-12 hrs... Marlin crawlers it is

Definitely did. I wish I would have had more time so they could have came out e
Ayyyy nice! DOIN it, I've been jonesing for my next mod, getting inspired. Stoked to see how these turn out. Do you have AHC though??

I have AHC. You can get 3 mounts on the passenger side, but only 2 on the driver side. I have thought about adding some extra gussets to help support the middle section. The back mounts have a brake line running very close to them so I cut some rubber hose and wrapped it around the lines so nothing wore though.

DERRRRP, totally overlooked your signature. Thanks, that's good to know. I was hoping to be able to badger other folks with AHC that have other sliders and take down the specs in person. WKOR still has 3 on each side even with AHC.. their's are 71"... be nice to put together a mod compendium.

DERRRRP, totally overlooked your signature. Thanks, that's good to know. I was hoping to be able to badger other folks with AHC that have other sliders and take down the specs in person. WKOR still has 3 on each side even with AHC.. their's are 71"... be nice to put together a mod compendium.

If they found a way to mount 3 on the driver side I'd love to see a picture, because I sure as hell couldn't figure it out. (doesn't mean much though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom