Builds Slamfire's 80 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally decided to start a build thread as I have found myself modifying the vehicle beyond what I had originally thought. I would love for this thread to provide value by explaining some technical tips along the way that I'm having to learn on the job while performing mods/upgrades.

This truck has an incredible story and has had an insane amount of time and money put into it. My goal is to take this vehicle to new heights and let it reach its fullest potential. BoltRipper did an incredible job on the initial build and I cannot speak highly enough about him or his work. This can serve as a continuation of his build thread as the vehicle is going to continue to be modified.

It all started when I saw a rather bizarre listing in the classifieds back in December and like most, thought it wasn't legit. I had been looking for one of the ten Slee 4.7 V8 swapped 80's for a while checking every nook and cranny of the internet, so when this truck popped up for sale I knew I needed to act fast. After trying multiple ways to get in touch with the seller, I finally got ahold of him via text. I immediately wanted to get on a call with him to check the legitimacy of the situation. While this is happening I am literally in the car driving to the mountains with my wife where I know I will have limited to non existing cell service. For the next two nights while in the mountains, I tried my hardest to strike a deal with the seller with one bar of cell service while standing on the highest point I could find in the driveway at midnight. I was starting to think the deal wasn't going to happen as our conversations seemed to be about anything other than the vehicle in question and we couldn't agree on a price. After a few days of playing hard ball and not hearing back from the seller, I knew I needed to make a serious offer to get this deal done the next time we spoke. I went into the next phone call with Vito Corleone's voice in my head saying "make him an offer he cant refuse". Needless to say we struck a deal and I immediately bought a plane ticket to California for that Friday. I was taught in my business "time kills deals" So I wanted to get possession of the cruiser ASAP.

On Friday I flew out to California with a cashiers check in hand. Low and behold he actually showed up at the airport to pick me up and we headed off to get the cruiser which was in a garage on a farm 2 hours away from the airport. As we pulled into the farm it all came together, things became real. I was in the middle of nowhere in northern California with this unicorn of a cruiser in front of me and a check in my hand. I gave the vehicle a quick lookover to make sure nothing catastrophic was wrong but I knew my options were limited on which way this was going to go seeing I really didn't have a way back to the airport. I shook the sellers hand, handed him the check and loaded up in the cruiser headed for Georgia..

Easy enough right? Except for one small detail.. the cruiser didn't have plates and still had an Alabama Title... Not something I was excited about but I was up for the challenge. Not many people have driven an unregistered 25 year old vehicle coast to coast by themselves and I was about to become one of them.

After 2700 miles and a few cups of coffee later I made it home to Georgia thankful that the truck wasn't impounded along the way.

After arriving to Georgia, I had the ability to really dive in and look at what the truck really was. I was nothing short of impressed. The truck is 1 of the 8 2UZ V8 Swapped 80's that Slee has converted. This one happens to be number 8 of 8 and is the last 80 series Slee converted. To my knowledge it is the only conversion they did that utilized a new short block from Japan (The other conversions had donor engines with mileage on them). This was truly an open checkbook no expense spared build and my hat truly goes off to BoltRipper.

At the farm in California.

80.jpg

802.jpg
801.jpg

At the Auburn, CA Toyota dealership getting a quick inspection before the road trip home. Shoutout to this dealership, they were awesome.
2451.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty darn nice already!! When you say, “My goal is to take this vehicle to new heights and let it reach its fullest potential,” what future plans do you have in mind?

If I have this right, you’ll be at Solid Axle Summit with another Slee 2UZ in the family? And another, 3 total, super clean 80’s.

Welcome to MUD !!

Last edited:
I recall the for sale ad for this cruiser to be one of the worst is my limited mud history. Congrats on staying the course and being the one to bring this one home. I am curious about your goals with this one. Congrats!

Wow that is one nice Cruiser!

Here I am reading into this post thinking this LC was going to be a major project/build. Nice score and I am curious as to “what else will be done” that it doesn’t have already. Looks plug and play out of the box. Enjoy!

Looks pretty darn nice already!! When you say, “My goal is to take this vehicle to new heights and let it reach its fullest potential,” what future plans do you have in mind?

If I have this right, you’ll be at Solid Axle Summit with another Slee 2UZ in the family? And another, 3 total, super clean 80’s.

Welcome to MUD !!
I don’t have a clear plan on what it’s going to be when it’s done so just taking that one day at a time. Yes that’s correct, we will be at Solid Axle Summit and should have all three 80’s there with two of the, being 2uz’s. Looking forward to seeing you there

I recall the for sale ad for this cruiser to be one of the worst is my limited mud history. Congrats on staying the course and being the one to bring this one home. I am curious about your goals with this one. Congrats!
Thank you. I saw it as an opportunity because the situation of the sale weeded out a lot of serious “would be” buyers. The whole story is crazy and I’m sure it will get told a few times around the campfire at SAS this year

Here I am reading into this post thinking this LC was going to be a major project/build. Nice score and I am curious as to “what else will be done” that it doesn’t have already. Looks plug and play out of the box. Enjoy!
It very much is plug and play. I have a problem of not being able to leave things alone so who knows where the truck will end up

Made a stop in Mississippi in the way back from California to see the family and let @offr0adlim0 and @Muddy Feet take a look. This was the first real inspection the truck has had at this point.

Everything checked out great.

8973BEFD-9719-488B-B4A6-2027310C0EA5.jpeg

6A1570A3-62CC-44CC-9893-7BE9329F71B9.jpeg

Last edited:
First thing I realized that it needed 35’s. Especially with 4.56’s. for tires I went with Toyo Open country MT’s. For wheels I went with 17x8.5 KMC Impact OL (overland).
93B3EFC8-F3FD-4D8A-B30C-3F2FF8C22C58.jpeg
A2190D3F-22CF-446D-8E35-0C5D2D4E8B20.jpeg
D1D7B2AA-9FCB-435D-ACCD-91E403C53077.jpeg
4356FE53-CFBD-4304-BE9F-C4AF1F5422E9.jpeg

My criteria for wheels were 1. No required modification for fitment. 2. No imitation bead lock (sorry Icon). 3. Made in USA. This narrowed my list down quite a bit but I’m happy with my choice.

Last edited:
I noticed there was a really bad rattling/clicking when the AC was blowing. Pulled the blower motor and found the culprit.

After cleaning and reinstalling the motor the issue was completely resolved.

FD0F58D1-4569-4081-8D35-C6F796973344.jpeg

New steering gear box with a 105 shaft upgrade from Red Head. Gives me peace of mind running these big heavy Toyos.

Happy Easter Mudders!
F3BC0D0E-E950-47F0-99C4-52478FB84722.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice! I have been stuck on whether to do the 2UZ swap or to kill my wallet on a 1HDFT swap. Did Slee also swap the A750 in? How's the drive with the 2UZ and 35s?

Nice! I have been stuck on whether to do the 2UZ swap or to kill my wallet on a 1HDFT swap. Did Slee also swap the A750 in? How's the drive with the 2UZ and 35s?
Its got an A343 4 speed but yes Slee did that too. It drives great no complaints at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom