sl33p3's 4x4labs bumper building adventure (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sl33p3 said:
so in complete denial of the head-gasket situation

Dude...we could have had the head off in the time it took you to type this!

Seriously...you've got Ash ten feet away. Get him to come over and you could be done with the situation you have.

Like I said, I have a spare HG that you can have for free and get yer junk running good again.

Dude...we could have had the head off in the time it took you to type this!

Seriously...you've got Ash ten feet away. Get him to come over and you could be done with the situation you have.

Like I said, I have a spare HG that you can have for free and get yer junk running good again.

ok ok, can i come by friday and get it from you at amtoy?

well in the continued vein of denial... i finish welded up the can carrier today, took some liberties since its a kit. and welded 1/4" round to the outer edges of the long thin stamped gussets, it will add some strength to them, and give a round edge in case the can hits the top of it under vibration.
IMG20120128170331-L.jpg

IMG20120128170553-L.jpg

IMG20120128170352-L.jpg

i also figured out and welded on my rear OBA chuck tab to the rear bumper. its 3/16" thick strap with a hole to put the fittings though and squeeze the tab. thought i might need a brace, but after welding it, no efin way. that batch is stout :hillbilly:
IMG20120128170002-L.jpg

IMG20120128165947-L.jpg

then i decided to christen the carrier and try out the bottle opener on the side. promptly figured out why luke doesn't put them in the kit anymore. bottle opener+vertical surface=fail... :rolleyes: it will be now forever used as the gag for someone else's beer.
use in case of emergency if you don't mind losing a few slugs.

while sipping the second failed attempt (had to be sure it wasn't user error) after mopping up the floor, and staring at the carrier, the gears started turning. one of the dimple die holes in the front floor is almost exactly the diameter of a bottle cap... if only i had a welder and a grinder and a piece of metal... ok no more buzzed attempt at wit, here is what i came up with, third times a charm. the stealth opener. works flawlessly.
IMG20120128172148-L.jpg

IMG20120128172202-L.jpg

IMG20120128172221-L.jpg

IMG20120128172244-L.jpg

now it's just time for some paint...

Last edited:
brilliant idea.

At least he stopped by and got a HG that I had.

I hear he's going to do the worlds fastest HG R&R...

;)

:lol: let's just hope i don't break something in my haste! ;)

What? Did you get your priorities all screwed up?

What? Did you get your priorities all screwed up?

me? no the carrier will be painted before i take the 80 off the road...

a HG job quick for me is just a recipe for disaster, i'd forget to disconnect something and then muscle it out :( plus i've never been through one on the FZ so i'd be following the book, and that won't be quick, since i have to read, i hope the pictures are good :rolleyes:

just means i'd have to commit more time. don't want to do CM with the way it is, and don't think i could debug a swap by then (especially since i'm still planning and i haven't bought the stuff). so unless i just go up and ride along, that is kind of a deadline i guess...

A bottle fits quite well in the high lift holes on the side of the bumper... I've used mine quite a few times to open one up that way!

A bottle fits quite well in the high lift holes on the side of the bumper... I've used mine quite a few times to open one up that way!

good to know, i'd looked at them, but hadn't tried. good to know for when the carrier isn't bolted on.

Any update on the head or has Ash been feeding you domestic swap propoganda?

Got my customers HG and timing cover/upper oild pan jobber done on Saturday. This could be yours too dude...for alot less cash than a swap.

:)

ForumRunner_20120212_185811.jpg

ForumRunner_20120212_185830.jpg

nope, no progress. tore into it for a couple hours last weekend. got frustrated, left it there. i have the intake and tb split, but haven't disconnected that rat nest of hose/wire, pulled dizzy/wires, batt box, was taking out the alternator... said ***it for a while and let it sit.

spent this friday garage time putting sweet bumpers on my buddy's xterra. NOTHING is ever "bolt on", well it is technically if it uses bolts. but this required cutting, notching, a little BFH massage, painting and air tools. but it was a days worth of instant gratification.

no no propaganda but i am doing some soul searching. it could be mine for only my time, but my time is pretty expensive these days... :crybaby:

Last edited:
sl33p3 said:
nope, no progress. tore into it for a couple hours last weekend. got frustrated, left it there. i have the intake and tb split, but haven't disconnected that rat nest of hose/wire, pulled dizzy/wires, batt box, was taking out the alternator... said ***it for a while and let it sit.

spent this friday garage time putting sweet bumpers on my buddy's xterra. NOTHING is ever "bolt on", well it is technically if it uses bolts. but this required cutting, notching, a little BFH massage, painting and air tools. but it was a days worth of instant gratification.

no no propaganda but i am doing some soul searching. it could be mine for only my time, but my time is pretty expensive these days... :crybaby:

Oh yeah..what is your paypal so I can get you duckets for the long block? Will probably be another couple of weeks before I can come and get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom