Builds Sky Blue 76 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

36106B30-2308-4B8F-B904-87E7F219BF77.jpeg

The transmission has beaten me 2 nights this week. Separated it easily from the bellhousing but the input shaft won't slide out of the clutch. I've tried lots of angles, depressing the clutch fork, rotating the flywheel and loosening the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. It will slide in and out about 3/4" easily but hits a definite stop there. Not sure what the cause or solution could be but I have someone smarter than I coming to help this weekend.

So the pilot bearing was stuck on the input shaft. I pulled the clutch fork, unbolted the pressure plate from the flywheel. Tilted the pilot bearing as low to the bottom of the flywheel as I could and cut the outer race with a die grinder. Split the outer race and removed it, removed the bearings and the inner race slid out on the shaft through the clutch splines.

So the pilot bearing was stuck on the input shaft. I pulled the clutch fork, unbolted the pressure plate from the flywheel. Tilted the pilot bearing as low to the bottom of the flywheel as I could and cut the outer race with a die grinder. Split the outer race and removed it, removed the bearings and the inner race slid out on the shaft through the clutch splines.
That sounds like a major PITA, I finally broke down and bought a tranny jack ... being able to tweak the angles both directions in small increments helps sometimes. Make sure you hone the input shaft with some emory cloth and test it sliding on and off before you install the bearing ... you’ll be thankful when it slides right in that last 1/2 inch 😉

Tucker

I can hear and feel the play in the crankshaft when I push/pull it by the flywheel bolts. I can’t see it in relation to the RMS so I’d guess it’s around 1mm which is well out of tolerance.

Replacing the thrust bearing doesn’t seem like a huge job. I’m more concerned with what caused this in the first place. Maybe it will be evident when the pan comes off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom