SirBarton Pig Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've posted this story in a few various threads, but the shortest story is - My wife bought me a 1975* FJ55 for a surprise 40th Birthday present. Not much research or inspection was done on her part, but she loved the way it looked and had seen me looking at various Land Cruisers and contemplating picking one up over the last few years (always looking at FJ40s and FJ43s, but what's a few more digits...) It was an incredible surprise and now a big fun project for me.

Condition is subjective, but let's just say it was "restored" by a paint shop in NC for a customer and the deal fell apart so I don't think they finished it and sold it as is. It looks tremendous from across the street, but has a lot of issues I need to correct. A lot of repairs were done without sourcing correct parts and/or really sloppily.

I plan on doing a lot of projects both cosmetic and mechanical over the next year or so, but I'm starting with the mechanicals. And when I say "I" I really mean that Mark @65swb45 inspected the vehicle and helped me create a game plan and has already completed the first repairs.

I'm finally ready to take on projects and start one cohesive build/update thread. I have some time off this month so I'll be posting pics of the various projects as I tackle them.

Immediate To Do List:
1. Replace Tie Rod ends main steering rod - Completed 2/09/18 by @65swb45 at Mark's Offroad
2. Accelerator Cable is just welded to a modified pedal - Replace with stock cable and pedal
3. Replace Fuel Pump and generic Fuel Filter
4. Springs seems to be original and bushings all shot. Consulting Deaver to make new Springs and then replace all bushings.
5. Hook up disconnected Charcoal Canister
6. Replace Weber Carb with Stock Carb and add stock air cleaner
7. Front Axle Service and Rear Axle service
8. Remove chunky rust on Frame and some under front floor pans.
9. Replace missing Headliner, Add 3 Point Belts, and replace foam in front bench seat.
10. Fix / replace sticking door latches, non working rear seat latches and rear door latch.

View media item 66126
View media item 66125

Last edited:
Your wife has good taste, she knew you'd be happier with a 55. How does the ladder work in order to use the tailgate? Is there a headliner in there now?

Your wife has good taste, she knew you'd be happier with a 55. How does the ladder work in order to use the tailgate? Is there a headliner in there now?

The ladder just pivots up on a hinge. It’s not ideal. The bottom has to be secured with a bungee cord right now, or it will bounce around while you drive. With the tail gate down the feet of the ladder rest on the edge of the tail gate.

There is no headliner now.

did they mount that roof rack to the frame because of rust?

If you look closely you'll see they removed the rain gutters around the roof. I suspect they were rusted out and they just made them smooth instead of trying to fix them. They were definitely not Toyota guys who worked on this project.

I plan to remove all the bar work and then probably go with a conventional rack. Because of the lack of gutters, It'll probably be drilled to the roof.

I have to really examine how well the body work was done before I go too far down any road. I will likely repaint it in a more conventional glossy pig color.

I guess you saw the post by @grncobra, huh....he's in your area

Not sure what you mean, I did see it. You mean for a roof? I think he wants to dump both his pigs and all the parts in one lump, but I might hit him up if he wants to sell parts.

Just a thought, before you install the new headliner, spray the crap out the inside of the gutter area with your favorite rust converter/sealer.

Just a thought, before you install the new headliner, spray the crap out the inside of the gutter area with your favorite rust converter/sealer.

Yes thanks. the headliner isn't going in for a while. The dome light doesn't work, so i need to fix that wiring. I also may want to run other wiring for speakers etc. So I'm waiting until the last moment to put it in. There's a lot of body work investigation that needs to happen. More will be revealed....

Fun start. Great wife, or is she trying to get rid of you. Deaver Springs did a great job on my springs leveling the old girl out. (not my wife)
Great start, look forward to watching it morph.

By the looks of the heart shaped bull bar it looks like a pre valentines gift

Fun start. Great wife, or is she trying to get rid of you. Deaver Springs did a great job on my springs leveling the old girl out. (not my wife)
Great start, look forward to watching it morph.

Glad to hear Deaver worked for you. They seem like the best option in So Cal. I'm going to go down there in the next week or so when I have a day off. Did you do any lift or just freshen up stock springs?

that ladder needs lift struts and destaco latches. and I don't hate the lack of gutters surprisingly...it works. great looking body. good score. I know you're not fond of the pipework, but it seems like a solid start to a semi exso-cage. maybe instead of ditch it, add to it to keep the body in one piece? Either way, welcome to the ward!

I had Deaver re-arch the rear and add a leaf to level it out (I carry a lot of stuff). I also had them but on brand new factory springs on the front (I think I found them at SOR). As well as 1"-1/2 shackle lift in the rear and 1" at the front.

Going to have Deaver make me some springs. I stopped by @65swb45's to pick up an old set of springs to give them for a template. Figured it's easier to leave with them than take them off my truck and put them back on while I wait for them to make the springs.

Good thing I stopped by Mark's. My fan belt was screaming and he took a look at it. While adjusting he noticed a little something missing on the alternator mount....

View media item 67153
Picked a good day to stop by Mark's I guess!

Knocked a couple things off the list. Got rid of the Holly Carb and sketchy throttle cable (booger welded to accelerator pedal). Found a stock accelerator pedal and had that put in.

Didn't have an air cleaner with the Holly, but now I have a Toyota air cleaner - i know it's not the correct one for this 2f, but it works and looks good. Someday I'll swap it out for the newer one if I continue to stay with the 2f.

New front brakes to replace the rusty ones.

Now I need to make a little money and tackle the suspension. Probably going to have some springs made at Deaver with a mild lift.

Took it for a shake down up and down Angeles Crest Highway to see how it ran with some elevation today and it was smooth sailing.
55139970514__66DAC3A0-E3ED-4DEE-8316-B91146039722 2.jpg
IMG_0827.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom