Single DINN - Alpine iLX-F309 HALO9 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Folks,

New to the forum, currently looking at buying a GX and of course the radio/nav dilemma is something I'm trying to work through.

I was researching single DINN units that would possible allow swapping out the radio/tape deck but maintaining the existing screen for HVAC and saw this
Alpine iLX-F309 HALO9

wondering of anyone has thoughts on whether this might be a viable option for folks stuck with the Nav Levinson unit.

Cheers
Rick

Interesting option.... Nav to non-nav is pricey, so maybe something like this might be a good choice.

The conversion won't cost much more (if at all) than the linked $785 head unit ;)

i'm no expert, so i hope you're right, but.... i think the most complete description of nav to non-nav conversion is here:
2006 Lexus GX470: Convert navigation model to non-navigation?

but piecing together the parts alone, you're looking at maybe $1900 plus the cost of a new double-din head unit. the biggest chunk of the $1900 is the AC control unit. again, this is based on some quick searches i've done. IF THERE IS A CHEAPER BUT SIMILAR OPTION, please let me know! (as i get older, i realize that my search skills get worse and worse)

The conversion won't cost much more (if at all) than the linked $785 head unit ;)

i'm no expert, so i hope you're right, but.... i think the most complete description of nav to non-nav conversion is here:
2006 Lexus GX470: Convert navigation model to non-navigation?

but piecing together the parts alone, you're looking at maybe $1900 plus the cost of a new double-din head unit. the biggest chunk of the $1900 is the AC control unit. again, this is based on some quick searches i've done. IF THERE IS A CHEAPER BUT SIMILAR OPTION, please let me know! (as i get older, i realize that my search skills get worse and worse)

That's the first I've heard of the climate controls changing per year-- I bought a junkyard HVAC control set for $170. Hopefully it works on my 05! The PDF I linked to (from GXOR on Facebook) says the transition production date was 08/2006, so I am cautiously optimistic.

OP - i would be concerned around how that thing would fit in the dash... meaning, it might cover the AC buttons even set to it's lowest, and if you try to angle it down, would it be hard to see the screen?

------------------
ah interesting... yah, it's crazy, that part is $1600 new online. and $300 on ebay... for $170, definitely worth a try.

That's the first I've heard of the climate controls changing per year-- I bought a junkyard HVAC control set for $170. Hopefully it works on my 05! The PDF I linked to (from GXOR on Facebook) says the transition production date was 08/2006, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Check out Beat Sonic they make adapters that allow the tape deck to switch out
GX 470 - Toyota/Lexus - Stereo Installation Kits - STEREO
Also there are a few option to add an iPod keeping all factory stuff and being able to use factory controls on the iPod. Just google GX470 iPod integration and there’s a few options. Crutchfield has always been a good place to buy audio equipment from

They also sell an accessory controller that allows this screen to control 8 aux acc like lights or compressors. It can also support aux cameras, so a front-facing camera could feed through this. This is suddenly really appealing. You can also slide the screen down so it wouldn't cover the HVAC. It would cover the ashtray and lighter, but that's not horrible. I may need to take some closer measurements when I get a chance. Having a second touchscreen with modern maps and stereo to go with the main screen could be pretty slick.

Alpine | 9-Inch Alpine Halo9 Dash System with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – iLX-F309

8-port accessory hub:
Alpine

All, took the plunge and purchased the Alpine ILX-F309. Installed using the Beat Sonic adapter (very expensive at $240.), process was really straight forward and turns out very nice sound. I added SiriusXM, waiting on brake bypass and steering adapter harness. while it is close, I don’t find the stereo too bothersome with factory controls (shifting to park/drive, low/high), climate controls are all visible and everything on the factory ML display works. I can still adjust the fader and balance as well as the DSP. If you’re looking for serious expansion this unit has it! Also consider the Alpine ILX-F259 (less features, cheaper, same concept). Also, note that the cover (behind the display screen) must be screwed in or the unit will not turn on!

E694036E-71C0-47DA-82B5-0A567CF601E1.jpeg

FF0CD8F4-3994-4C2E-8FA1-510E333BD33E.jpeg

10454EEA-CB70-49EF-AAAC-8CF562D0CF5A.jpeg

140DBD7A-8E43-42D9-B507-94A141A8FC85.jpeg

All, took the plunge and purchased the Alpine ILX-F309. Installed using the Beat Sonic adapter (very expensive at $240.), process was really straight forward and turns out very nice sound. I added SiriusXM, waiting on brake bypass and steering adapter harness. while it is close, I don’t find the stereo too bothersome with factory controls (shifting to park/drive, low/high), climate controls are all visible and everything on the factory ML display works. I can still adjust the fader and balance as well as the DSP. If you’re looking for serious expansion this unit has it! Also consider the Alpine ILX-F259 (less features, cheaper, same concept). Also, note that the cover (behind the display screen) must be screwed in or the unit will not turn on!

View attachment 2136738

View attachment 2136739

View attachment 2136742

View attachment 2136747

Very cool. Does the Alpine have stand alone Nav or just what is built in to the Apple Car play? Can you download apps from the Playstore? If so then Google Maps could maybe be used offline if it has a microSD.

Any depth issues mounting it in the GX?

Apple CarPlay works great. Apps that are supported by Android Auto and Apple CarPlay will work. Plays music and can make and receive phone calls via Bluetooth. Google maps can be downloaded for offline use, I will try it out and see if it works. DEPTH! Yes it is a bit of a tight fit with the beat sonic adapter, if you trim down the cables it will make it easier. Not impossible but does require some maneuvering. The 309 enables serious expansion incorporating some of the latest in mobile automation. You can add front and side camera, speed sensor, not sure if maestro will tie in with the 470 I suspect a bit too old. With Maestro you can monitor tire pressure, view And reset trouble codes on vehicle, more. If you don’t care about the Maestro stuff you can get the f259 cheaper and does most of the same stuff.

Apple CarPlay works great. Apps that are supported by Android Auto and Apple CarPlay will work. Plays music and can make and receive phone calls via Bluetooth. Google maps can be downloaded for offline use, I will try it out and see if it works. DEPTH! Yes it is a bit of a tight fit with the beat sonic adapter, if you trim down the cables it will make it easier. Not impossible but does require some maneuvering. The 309 enables serious expansion incorporating some of the latest in mobile automation. You can add front and side camera, speed sensor, not sure if maestro will tie in with the 470 I suspect a bit too old. With Maestro you can monitor tire pressure, view And reset trouble codes on vehicle, more. If you don’t care about the Maestro stuff you can get the f259 cheaper and does most of the same stuff.

Awesome. I would probably do the f259. I am concerned about losing my rear entertainment system and I know the Beat Sonics eliminates that....so I am trying to figure out which cable from the OEM center console DVD player is the video out....then I could run the video out from the Alpine to the OEM screens.
is the Alpine screen easily removed when parking etc? It doesn’t appear so on the YouTube vids...looks like it is screws instead of Quick Connects or the like.

Cool setup!
Some of the Amazon reviews on that unit are reporting that the Apple CarPlay maps (any app) are useless due to the street lines being washed out. Are you seeing that as well?
I'd be interested in this solution only if Apple CarPlay works. Right now I've got the VLine2 installed and that thing only works about 75% of the time. It's more of a headache than anything else :/

Awesome. I would probably do the f259. I am concerned about losing my rear entertainment system and I know the Beat Sonics eliminates that....so I am trying to figure out which cable from the OEM center console DVD player is the video out....then I could run the video out from the Alpine to the OEM screens.
is the Alpine screen easily removed when parking etc? It doesn’t appear so on the YouTube vids...looks like it is screws instead of Quick Connects or the like.

The f259 is cheaper but I found the f309 for $560 (Not much different), the f309 has an hdmi connection (not sure if f259 does or not). I too have the RSES-DVD player, the thing is I don’t really have/use standard DVDs (between 2003-2009 this was really nice cutting edge tech for car) and I don’t have kids and if I’m driving long distance any passengers would likely prefer an iPad/tablet over old DVDs (my opinion). I am positive you could find a way to refresh the installed RSES but again iPads would be much better and likely less than buying a Blu ray/monitor(s) setup. In terms of the display removal it is not easily removed like other single DIN detachable faces, I suppose you could unscrew it from the top and sides but would be time consuming, plus the screws would eventually be stripped. Smash and grab types probably avoid this stereo because it will take a minute to get out.

Cool setup!
Some of the Amazon reviews on that unit are reporting that the Apple CarPlay maps (any app) are useless due to the street lines being washed out. Are you seeing that as well?
I'd be interested in this solution only if Apple CarPlay works. Right now I've got the VLine2 installed and that thing only works about 75% of the time. It's more of a headache than anything else :/

Wes,

I can’t speak to the V line setup. Regarding the Alpine f309, personally I hate the Apple Maps, I had bad experiences with its accuracy. Google maps works great and with car play this f309 has a nice clean display (not cluttered). I don’t know the level of detail you prefer for nav, the google app works an will get you there. The google app also switches between day/night mode so this may affect some but is easily changed on device. You can probably find a dealer or YouTube vid that can show you greater detail. It would be nice to find an app that displays terrain, elevation, etc for when you go wheelin‘! There’s a list of apps that work including tidal (music), WhatsApp, Waze, more. I’ve only begun this journey so have to explore more apps. If you like Google maps or Waze apps/display you would likely be at home with this setup.

FYI I will be announcing a Group Buy for the Beat Sonic MVA-81 which you will need to run these. Also will have a group buy on the steering wheel controls. If we can get 10+ the discount is quite nice.

The f259 is cheaper but I found the f309 for $560 (Not much different), the f309 has an hdmi connection (not sure if f259 does or not). I too have the RSES-DVD player, the thing is I don’t really have/use standard DVDs (between 2003-2009 this was really nice cutting edge tech for car) and I don’t have kids and if I’m driving long distance any passengers would likely prefer an iPad/tablet over old DVDs (my opinion). I am positive you could find a way to refresh the installed RSES but again iPads would be much better and likely less than buying a Blu ray/monitor(s) setup. In terms of the display removal it is not easily removed like other single DIN detachable faces, I suppose you could unscrew it from the top and sides but would be time consuming, plus the screws would eventually be stripped. Smash and grab types probably avoid this stereo because it will take a minute to get out.
Do you have a link to the $560??!

I’m still working towards installing the steering wheel interface. It looks like the Axxess harness is worthless for the gx 470. I show power (red), ground (black), black/green (+tx), green/orange (-tx), and 7.5mm type adapter (to deck/alpine). If anyone has experience installing this on the 2007 - 2009 GX kindly share the link? According to the Axxess install website for the GX the black/green and green/orange wires have to be spliced in with the 20-pin connector on pin(s) 6,7,8. Any info, pics, etc are appreciated. I’ve tried searching on here and other sites, also google but haven’t come across anything directly showing the GX 470. Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom