SHOULD I LOCKTIGHT WATER PUMP STUD BOLTS ON 1987 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
SO I AM HAVING TO REPLACE MY WATER PUMP PULLEY AND I REALLY BOOGERED UP THE STUD BOLT THREADS THAT THREAD TO THE FRONT OF THE PUMP WHERE THE PULLEY MOUNTS. I GOT SOME NEW BOLTS SHOULD I LOCKTIGHT THEM IN?
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3021.jpg

I don't in general. Send them in snug and torque the nut. Should be fine.

You're replacing with full-thread studs. That means they will just screw all the way through the pump flange without tightening. If you use them you have no choice but to loctite.

For the future, the way to remove those studs without buggering is to double-nut.

You bought a Toyota pump, yes? It didn't come with new studs ?

Good point spike strip. Needs a shoulder to seat. I would get the proper studs rather than lock tight.

To the OP, (and not to be a pedant), but please lose the ALL CAPS, if you can ;) ! It's just simple Netiquette (to make it easier to read).

And I would get the proper studs, too. But every time I've bought a Toyota-boxed pump it came with new studs.

Thanks.

You're replacing with full-thread studs. That means they will just screw all the way through the pump flange without tightening. If you use them you have no choice but to loctite.

For the future, the way to remove those studs without buggering is to double-nut.

Yes I bought a new pump from Toyota and it came with studs but when I went to replace it I realized that it was the pulley not the pump. The pulley boogered the bolts to the point I could not get the nuts off to get the studs out of the fan clutch so I had to grip the threads with pliers further boogering the. so I am leaving the pump and replacing the studs. The pump seems to be fine it worked great up until the pulley exploded it still turns true and its not warped or anything. I am gonna keep the new one for a spare.

I made the studs myself I just used a band saw and cut it off of an m8 bolt.

Ah, Ok. Understood. Part number is 16198-41050 should you want to get the proper ones, otherwise, I'd use red loctite to be safe or simply borrow the studs from the new pump....

btw, is the pump that's there an OEM Aisin pump? Before you bolt it all together, I'd investigate why the pulley dissembled itself. Yours is the first posting I've seen like that.

btw, is the pump that's there an OEM Aisin pump? Before you bolt it all together, I'd investigate why the pulley dissembled itself. Yours is the first posting I've seen like that.

The one on the truck is an oem pump. I have done as much investigation as I know how and I am still not sure of the cause. My only conclusion is the pulley cracked. warped and shredded itself before I noticed anything wrong.

The main reason in not going ahead and replacing the pump is it was just put on last year.

Ok. Maybe it was a problem with the install. No way for us to know... A pic of the thing before you put it back together might help, if you have time.

Just make sure the replacement pulley fits properly on the pump; it should be a precise machine fit, not loose or have to be coxed on, with a hammer, fist, mother-in-law's head, etc...

Good luck.

IMG_3063.jpg
IMG_3064.jpg
IMG_3065.jpg
IMG_3067.jpg
IMG_3066.jpg
Still waiting on the pulley to arrive. The fan clutch took a small beating. Some of the bolt holes got wormed out a bit and the surface that mounts to the pulley isn't very smooth, even, flush. Does this have to be replaced?

I would, just to be safe.

FCT-017 Aisin / ASCO

All that weight wobbling on the end of the WP shaft likely did not do the bearing any good. I would replace the pump while you are in there.

The fan clutch looks bad also.

Do it once...right, and you know the cooling components are good for a very long time.

All that weight wobbling on the end of the WP shaft likely did not do the bearing any good. I would replace the pump while you are in there.

The fan clutch looks bad also.

Do it once...right, and you know the cooling components are good for a very long time.

Being as how I already have the pump I reckon im gonna go ahead and replace it. I just hate to waste the one on it if it still has some life left in it. just ordered a new aisin fan clutch from rock auto. 64.00 plus shipping

Like Doug said, if that pump is buggered and you have to do it again, you'll wanna bash your head into some rox.

Ah, Ok. Understood. Part number is 16198-41050 should you want to get the proper ones, otherwise, I'd use red loctite to be safe or simply borrow the studs from the new pump....

Isn't Red Loctite pretty much permanent? I would think Blue is a better option if you ever need to take the stud out ever again... Never had issues with blue giving out, but have had issues removing anything with red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom