Should I buy an 80, costs of ownership? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wish I had that spare tire mount.

Not me. Fitting a tire/wheel combo heavier than stock puts a strain on the body and ANY impact will wipe out both tailgates and the right quarter panel.

found this thread while searching.

What do people think of this thread while it is almost in 2022?
I have been watching classifieds / FB / craigslist, and it appears most 80 series with lower mileage side are starting to creep well north of $17k
And the "less than pristine" ones are hovering between 10-12k

If something happened to your 80 series today, would you replace it with another at these prices?

I guess it depends on the circumstances but probably not. To get a clean lower mile triple locked is gonna be 25k and up. I'd probably look at GXs as a replacement.

That’s a tough call, but I would probably pass. If I lost my 80 tomorrow, I would casually look around for a replacement, but there’s an ‘83 Defender 110 that I’m eyeing.

I have been watching classifieds / FB / craigslist, and it appears most 80 series with lower mileage side are starting to creep well north of $17k

If something happened to your 80 series today, would you replace it with another at these prices?

One word : priorities.

Lexus GX470, butter smooth, and very quiet. Best riding vehicle I've ever driven. That is, of course I replace all the suspension bushings on my 1995. I've heard it rides much smoother after replacing 26 year old bushings. I'm sure I'd be happy with the GX until I sadly discover it's soulless and then I begin to regret not buying another Heavyweight Land Cruiser. Sound about right? I love this thread. I read this all the way through before I purchased my 80 series. This thread is reality, not shiny trouble free Instagram pictures.

Not me. Fitting a tire/wheel combo heavier than stock puts a strain on the body and ANY impact will wipe out both tailgates and the right quarter panel.

Good point.
I never thought of the OE spare swingout as a crash multiplier, but I see it 100%

I liked the simplicity before, but the a Hanna RR bumper got migrated to my forever 80, that ended any conversation & IIRC you have the same so you know it too.

I think I would. I obtained both of mine several years ago when prices were relatively low. But, taking the original sticker price into consideration, $17K for a nice 80 still seems like a fair price for a great truck. Especially when comparing to the cost of almost any 2021 model truck.

I think I would. I obtained both of mine several years ago when prices were relatively low. But, taking the original sticker price into consideration, $17K for a nice 80 still seems like a fair price for a great truck. Especially when comparing to the cost of almost any 2021 model truck.

$17K is bargain zone for a low-mile 80, locked or not.

I been offered $20K & just smirked / didn’t say a word or break stride getting in & driving off.

Good point.
I never thought of the OE spare swingout as a crash multiplier, but I see it 100%

I liked the simplicity before, but the a Hanna RR bumper got migrated to my forever 80, that ended any conversation & IIRC you have the same so you know it too.
Slee, One of the first run.

One word : priorities.
yeah, I guess I am working on mine / thinking about them
my intent for a 80 series would be a weekend driver, and not a daily driver replacement.
(intended mod list: 2" lift / front bumper / DIY sleeping platform in the back)
I am getting a little uneasy seeing the rebuild costs threads floating around (and seeing the used prices of the "cheap" 80s)

Mine has been away for months getting front mount intercooler, turbo and 3" exhaust.

I got my unlocked "less than pristine" 97 with 226k for $8k a few months ago, which I thought was a decent price at the time for the market.

It's a cool truck, but I don't think I'd replace it with another in the current unless I got a once-in-a-lifetime deal.

Once you factor in all the costs of sprucing up a rough example (mechanically and cosmetically), that disparity of $5-10k you refer to doesn't seem so big.

I stole mine compared to recent prices a few years ago. Not sure if I would replace it with another
Same here, last year for me. I wouldn’t look for another because I couldn’t come close to affording it now. Not sure what I’d shoot for if it went away, maybe try to find a 3rd gen runner for a reasonable price.

Last edited:
Same here, last year for me. I wouldn’t look for another because I couldn’t come close to affording it now.
I wish I had kept mine long enough to sell it for these prices. There was nothing necessarily wrong with mine. Expect for being old. I just didn't like it as much as I expected. Maybe a totally rebuilt suspension new tires new seats new weather stripping upgraded interior carpet/insulation, rebuilt window motors, and the ability to get more than 14mpg would have made a difference.

I got my unlocked 96 for $4200 back in 2015 w/ 220k miles on it. Definitely wasn't pristine but wasn't anything major I had to do. Just a lot of maintenance things that should have been done but were neglected. If something happened to mine, I'd probably look at finding one with a blown head gasket or not running and resurrect it. It's not hard, just takes time.

I wish I had kept mine long enough to sell it for these prices. There was nothing necessarily wrong with mine. Expect for being old. I just didn't like it as much as I expected. Maybe a totally rebuilt suspension new tires new seats new weather stripping upgraded interior carpet/insulation, rebuilt window motors, and the ability to get more than 14mpg would have made a difference.
what did you replace your 80 series with?

what did you replace your 80 series with?
For a very short period of time an isuzu trooper. Which I liked more for a whole lot of reasons. But the transmission did what they are known to do so I bought a pro4x frontier. Compared to a Tacoma the frontier was a no brainer. If I needed another SUV I'd go full size without question. But I have 2 kids now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom