Should I buy a new 2018 or a 2016/2017 used LC? (1 Viewer)

Which of the following should I choose?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently in the market for a land cruiser.

Dealers are willing to offer 9% off MSRP - how much should I counter back? Is 15% even possible?

I was planning to go with a CPO but none of the nearby dealers currently have one. I never bought any cars from Carmax, but it seems like it has several 2016/2017 LC available at a price of $64K-68K. Any thoughts?

I have 'intercepted' one, destined to Carmax. A customer of mine bought another vehicle, and the dealer gave him a trade-in quote close to nothing. Carmax gave him 7 times of that, which was roughly 40% of the market average for the area. I flipped it and doubled my money not out of greed, but because it was not something a picky and knowledgeable (somewhat) buyer like me would buy. Upon further investigation, Carmax missed quite a few issues. they just go by the "potential", and these are liquid as we all know.
So, if you are in this kind of dilemma and itching to buy, and have only these two choices left, and can afford a new one - get the new one.

I have 'intercepted' one, destined to Carmax. A customer of mine bought another vehicle, and the dealer gave him a trade-in quote close to nothing. Carmax gave him 7 times of that, which was roughly 40% of the market average for the area. I flipped it and doubled my money not out of greed, but because it was not something a picky and knowledgeable (somewhat) buyer like me would buy. Upon further investigation, Carmax missed quite a few issues. they just go by the "potential", and these are liquid as we all know.
So, if you are in this kind of dilemma and itching to buy, and have only these two choices left, and can afford a new one - get the new one.

Thanks, I'm trying to do some research and still trying to figure out how to counter back dealers' offers, I guess this is partly due to the fact that the sales of LC has been slow in the US market, there is not a lot of data point for me to find out such info.

I bought mine to modify and use off road when I had time. I couldn't see scratching up a $85,000 dollar vehicle. So I found on 2 years old for $50,000 and traded in a Porsche and got back $30,000 I used for modifications. I would never buy a new one. You can save so much even with a low mileage one. Most people just look nationwide and find a CPO. Mine has 60,000 miles and people that get in it don't believe me. They always lean over and look at the mileage. The interior is spotless. I have saw one yesterday with 110,000 that was the same way. Looked new all over. Use cargurus.com and you can widen your search as needed. It is easy to save $20,000 and still have a warranty. I have found they get very negotiable this time of year since the 19's are coming out. That makes the 3 year old ones depreciate a lot as well as the new 2018's. I have been looking at used Tundras with 6000-20,000 miles.

Last edited:
I bought mine to modify and use off road when I had time. I couldn't see scratching up a $85,000 dollar vehicle. So I found on 2 years old for $50,000 and traded in a Porsche and got back $30,000 I used for modifications. I would never buy a new one. You can save so much even with a low mileage one. Most people just look nationwide and find a CPO. Mine has 60,000 miles and people that get in it don't believe me. They always lean over and look at the mileage. The interior is spotless. I have saw one yesterday with 110,000 that was the same way. Looked new all over. Use cargurus.com and you can widen your search as needed. It is easy to save $20,000 and still have a warranty. I have found they get very negotiable this time of year since the 19's are coming out. That makes the 3 year old ones depreciate a lot as well as the new 2018's. I have been looking at used Tundras with 6000-20,000 miles.

Used is a HUGE money saver!
If I had to buy new?
-Would never have had my 100...
-Would never have had my 200.

I always suggest to those who ask about my truck and how I afforded it... Buy a 3-5 year old, perfect condition LC from LA or other non-rust areas. You’ll save enough vs. new to COMPLETELY build it...or in my case...avoid being crushed by new payments and be able to slowly build over time.

Building over time really is interesting. It lets you really plan and focus your decisions carefully...and you end up with a better result more to your personal liking as each step is considered.

$50K for a 2 yr old LC sounds like a good deal, so far on cargurus a 2016 model is typically listed at around $64K :( ...... Just now I did see a 2016 CPO with 38K miles from a nearby dealer but it has two owners already - wondering why they decided not to keep it

For those who look nationwide, if they do find a good deal, did they really fly over to pick up the vehicle?

Used is a HUGE money saver!
If I had to buy new?
-Would never have had my 100...
-Would never have had my 200.

I always suggest to those who ask about my truck and how I afforded it... Buy a 3-5 year old, perfect condition LC from LA or other non-rust areas. You’ll save enough vs. new to COMPLETELY build it...or in my case...avoid being crushed by new payments and be able to slowly build over time.

Building over time really is interesting. It lets you really plan and focus your decisions carefully...and you end up with a better result more to your personal liking as each step is considered.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am checking out 16-17 models now, but not many offerings online. Most of them are listed by luxury brand dealers without CPO, not sure if I should get a used one from these dealers.

$50K for a 2 yr old LC sounds like a good deal, so far on cargurus a 2016 model is typically listed at around $64K :( ...... Just now I did see a 2016 CPO with 38K miles from a nearby dealer but it has two owners already - wondering why they decided not to keep it

For those who look nationwide, if they do find a good deal, did they really fly over to pick up the vehicle?

I would if that’s what it took. In my case though, LA is 2 hours away. I found both my 100 and 200 at Chevy dealers in Irvine (a bit south of LA) and they’ve been perfect.

I think a lot of folks who buy new...just like buying cars and get bored quickly. Lots of near-new LCs on the market.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am checking out 16-17 models now, but not many offerings online. Most of them are listed by luxury brand dealers without CPO, not sure if I should get a used one from these dealers.

Have your nearby Toyota dealer check it’s service history for you. I’m friendly with my local service guy and he’s checked for me many times. Gives me printouts. Neither of mine were CPO, nor even bought from a Toyota dealer.

I would if that’s what it took. In my case though, LA is 2 hours away. I found both my 100 and 200 at Chevy dealers in Irvine (a bit south of LA) and they’ve been perfect.

I think a lot of folks who buy new...just like buying cars and get bored quickly. Lots of near-new LCs on the market.

So your LC is not Toyota certified pre-owned? Did you take it for inspection first before handing over the check?

Have your nearby Toyota dealer check it’s service history for you. I’m friendly with my local service guy and he’s checked for me many times. Gives me printouts. Neither of mine were CPO, nor even bought from a Toyota dealer.

Will looking at CarFax and Autocheck be enough? Don't know any people from local Toyota dealer

So your LC is not Toyota certified pre-owned? Did you take it for inspection first before handing over the check?

If you can have it inspected...do. But neither of mine were. Instead I got detailed service records that Toyota keeps on any Toyota serviced by them.

I made sure they were serviced regularly at a Toyota dealership over their life to date. Without that? Keep looking. But my personal opinion and experience in helping a good number of friends buy Toyota’s...this approach works well.

In the end, they are TOYOTAS. If you regularly service them at a Toyota dealer, and they have no accidents that matter...they are a good bet.

Although all auto purchases are a BET. But as bets go? Tough to find a safer bet than a well-serviced Toyota. :)

Go make nice with a service guy. If you don’t get a good vibe from him...go find another one. If he wants your future service business, he might surprise you with willingness to look up service history if you provide the VIN.

If you can have it inspected...do. But neither of mine were. Instead I got detailed service records that Toyota keeps on any Toyota serviced by them.

I made sure they were serviced regularly at a Toyota dealership over their life to date. Without that? Keep looking. But my personal opinion and experience in helping a good number of friends buy Toyota’s...this approach works well.

In the end, they are TOYOTAS. If you regularly service them at a Toyota dealer, and they have no accidents that matter...they are a good bet.

Although all auto purchases are a BET. But as bets go? Tough to find a safer bet than a well-serviced Toyota. :)

I appreciate your input, so how often should one get the LC serviced, especially for 16-18 models with less than 50K miles? every 5000 miles?

I appreciate your input, so how often should one get the LC serviced, especially for 16-18 models with less than 50K miles? every 5000 miles?

At young and low miles like that, you are looking for regular oil changes & inspections, and perhaps a water pump.

What you skip are trucks without regular oil & inspections that come with them.

Extra points for previous owners whose service requests show evidence of being NITPICKY as was clear with my 200’s service records. Toyota service also keeps technicians notations and comments, which can help give you a feel for the vehicle’s condition and treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom