Shock question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
This is probably been covered but if I just want to replace my shocks and not the airbags. All I would loose is the adjustability. My airbags were recently replaced. I carry a lot of weight sometimes pull a trailer or a boat.

Can the factory shocks just be removed or do you have to trick the airbag system in order to retain its function.

Advisable replace front springs. Truck has 160k good shape but I live in a state with terrible roads and sometimes the shocks do a poor job since we have long stretches of ruff roads

You just lose the adjustable shocks (and controls front and rear). Airbags will still work fine.

I asked a lot of questions recently when I was replacing my rear shocks in this thread. I hope it helps.

You do lose the electronic shock adjustability but that’s not a big deal. You keep your air bag functionality. No airbag trick needed unless you want to raise rear.

How to replace rear shocks?

anyone have an idea of what the measurements should be for the replacement shocks for the front and rear.
Would like to use Bilstein 5100 if possible
I see some people mention using a kit for a FJ cruiser others that stay 4Runner.

Would something like this work. Wanting to keep the height stock since I have 3 other cruisers I use offroad

https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-Sho...3991662&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=24-239370&psc=1

Last edited:
It's hard finding official Lexus GX470 specifications on the suspension like spring rate, spring length, spring wire diameter as well as shock closed and open length. So, it's hard to give you specific info on stock height replacement suspension.

Moreover, @DanKunz reported his original stock front springs were sagging about 2.5", so he got a 5" lift from new coilovers that were supposed to lift 2.5". So, depending on how much you are sagging, you will get a lift even if you use new stock OEM front springs.

Since you don't want a lift and you are looking at low cost, maybe this FJ Cruiser closeout kit might work for you...Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2014 TRD Bilstein Ultimate Trail Team Suspension OEM NEW! | eBay

It's hard finding official Lexus GX470 specifications on the suspension like spring rate, spring length, spring wire diameter as well as shock closed and open length. So, it's hard to give you specific info on stock height replacement suspension.

Moreover, @DanKunz reported his original stock front springs were sagging about 2.5", so he got a 5" lift from new coilovers that were supposed to lift 2.5". So, depending on how much you are sagging, you will get a lift even if you use new stock OEM front springs.

Since you don't want a lift and you are looking at low cost, maybe this FJ Cruiser closeout kit might work for you...Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-2014 TRD Bilstein Ultimate Trail Team Suspension OEM NEW! | eBay

I like that kit. Figure it would be good to replace springs in the front same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom