Shipping '71 FJ40 from PHX to Flag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a recommendation on a shipping company to get my FJ40 from PHX to Flag? Or is there someone heading that way that has a trailer and wants to make extra money? I just need to get it there before Mid-May. It runs and drives great, I just don't have a tow vehicle anymore.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a shipping company to get my FJ40 from PHX to Flag? Or is there someone heading that way that has a trailer and wants to make extra money? I just need to get it there before Mid-May. It runs and drives great, I just don't have a tow vehicle anymore.
I could help you out, my gmc is a 40 haulin’ machine lately!

Just drive it????? Both of mine have made that trip numerous times, slow and steady but go there and back.

Just drive it????? Both of mine have made that trip numerous times, slow and steady but go there and back.
I'll be driving my FJ40 through Flagstaff in two weeks on the way to Moab.

I don't take it up I17 any more though - I always go through the back roads via Payson, Happy Jack, & Lake Mary.

A little bit longer, a little bit prettier, and a whole lot safer than going 40 MPH up I17 in second gear!

I don't take it up I17 any more though - I always go through the back roads via Payson, Happy Jack, & Lake Mary.

A little bit longer, a little bit prettier, and a whole lot safer than going 40 MPH up I17 in second gear!
you are still going up 40mph in second gear up to Payson, though, no ?

you are still going up 40mph in second gear up to Payson, though, no ?
Second gear about half the way between Hayden and Globe along 77, then second gear going from Rye most of the way up to Payson, and then from Strawberry to the top of the hill.

A lot less traffic though, and not too bad once I get on Lake Mary Road.

The only time I feel safe going up I17 in the FJ40 is when I can get between two slow moving semis for protection.

Roads less travelled and so forth . . .

Second gear about half the way between Hayden and Globe along 77, then second gear going from Rye most of the way up to Payson, and then from Strawberry to the top of the hill.

A lot less traffic though, and not too bad once I get on Lake Mary Road.

The only time I feel safe going up I17 in the FJ40 is when I can get between two slow moving semis for protection.

Roads less travelled and so forth . . .

I traveled between the west valley and Flagstaff from the late seventies to the early nineties using I-17. Some of those were towing a 17' travel trailer. 93 bought my FJ62 and installed a four speed in my FJ40 in 94 so never experienced with anything besides the three speed. Can't say I miss it. Traffic has only gotten worse since the early ninties. Still waiting to gather all the parts for a H55F in a newer FJ40. Also another project using a H42 and Fairey OD. Either one of those maybe hit I-17 again. Until then will be happy to see a FJ40 in the rear view mirror of our Sequoia. That how I got an FJ40 to the Casner mountian trip a few years ago. That one didn't even drive down to Sedona for the run rather spend the day running forest service roads haven't been on on year.

Well, looks like I might not be driving to Moab through Flagstaff on Friday after all . . .

1650416868096.png

Well, looks like I might not be driving to Moab through Flagstaff on Friday after all . . .

View attachment 2986714
Yeah, this one (the Tunnel fire) blew up quickly. I’ve heard 15 homes burned. 89 could well be open by Friday, but winds were scary up here today… plenty to help an early -season fire grow quickly.

There is another fire just north of. Crown King that looked poised for destruction from I-17 today, as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom