Shifter Slipping From Drive to Neutral (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was thinking this might be a pretty common issue but after doing a few searches online and in the forums, I didn't quickly find anyone with a similar problem. Forgive me if I'm overlooking it and feel free to link me.

I have an 80 series that suddenly started shifting from drive to neutral when accelerating from a complete stop or while moving slowly. Probably occurs in transition from first to second gear and it's the physical movement of the shifter lever that causes concern. I don't really think (and I'm hopeful) it isn't the transmission. The shifter actual moves and I simply shift it back and keep on rolling. I haven't noticed any gear slippage otherwise. I have noticed that the shifter handle also will move from D to N without the button being pressed on the side, not sure if that's part of the issue. It feels like there is something loose that could use tightening somewhere in the linkage as well as when I come to complete stop I feel a little clunk sometimes. Nothing extreme and no noise. Not sure if it could be a motor mount or what is the source of these problems that all seem to be connected. Only been doing this about three weeks and once I'm moving and accelerating it has no issues. Cruises an easy and comfortable 65 on open roads with no problems. Thanks for any help.

First what year vehicle and what transmission, mileage recent history?

Shifting from D to N to D does not require pressing the button.
What happens when you put pressure on the shift lever during the acceleration?
Little clunks are more or less expected.

First what year vehicle and what transmission, mileage recent history?

Shifting from D to N to D does not require pressing the button.
What happens when you put pressure on the shift lever during the acceleration?
Little clunks are more or less expected.
97 with about 250K miles. Not sure of the transmission although I'm sure it's the original one. When you are driving and accelerating there is movement, albeit not alot, on the shifter lever, it just doesnt move out of gear except on these rare occasions I mentioned when, accelerating under strain, it will simply move into N. I have kept my hand on it before, but it hasn't moved while I hold it...not sure if that's because I'm holding it or just because it didnt move on those occasions. I've read about a shifter socket...not sure what that is or if it could be the culprit. Just a sidebar...I'm running in 2WD with lock in hubs due to a bad viscus coupler a couple of years ago.

What is "under strain"? Hard acelleration?

Sounds like one of two things or both.
1) Worn engine/transmissions mounts causing excessive movement of the engine/transmission
2) Cable from shifter to transmission not properly adjusted.

What is "under strain"? Hard acelleration?

Sounds like one of two things or both.
1) Worn engine/transmissions mounts causing excessive movement of the engine/transmission
2) Cable from shifter to transmission not properly adjusted.
By under strain I actually just meant giving it good acceleration...pulling out into traffic, etc. I'll have my mechanic check both of those things.

The shift linkage on a FZJ80 with the A343F transmission is a solid rod running from the shift lever assembly down to the transmission. The parts diagram shows the rod (35569B) as being horizontal, but it dives forward and down from the underside of the shifter assembly plate to the right side of the transmission.

Has the transmission ever been out of the vehicle?

Shifter Assembly FZJ80 A343F.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom