Wanted Shackles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
wanted tri-shackles that have OEM size bolts , and OEM pin to pin dimensions that fit OEM bushings. Used or new. Also greasable pins.to fit a 1979 fj40.
Don't tell me to go to SOR as they fxxxed me by sending me pins and shackles that We're a larger size AFTER I told them my bushings and springs were stock size. Sending them back cost me 60 friggin dollars .
The only thing I can think of why they would do that is because they wanted me to come back and buy more correct parts to fix the problem .
This would mean new bushings to fit their parts and I would have all of the bushings that came with the springs on a shelf no good to me .

I would call Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters who might know the particulars if anyone does. I'm not sure that what you want, exists. Generally if you update the shackles, you have to change the bushings to the correct Pin Size. With that said, OME is very close. I'm not sure it's exact but close.

But anyway, if you go with new shackles, be prepared to also buy the correct matching bushings. If you buy OME shackles (which are very good) I'd just get a bag of their yellow bushings which last pretty well (8 years before failure in my case).

Yes they are tri- shackles., standard pin siz, standard bushing side and pin to pin dimensions are stock. Cool cruisers of Texas has them listed as I just quoted. My problem is they are out of stock

Stock bushings for a 79 are 15mm ID. I'm curious what SOR sent you as OME also uses 15mm pins with their shackles. We (Cruiser Outfitters) stock the 15mm OME and an aftermarket anti-inversion triangle variant with 15mm pins. Give us a shout and we can see if our option will work for your needs.

I don't know what SOR has or doesn't have but when I ordered from them I told them that I had bought skyjacker soft ride , inch and a half liftsprings I also told them the kit was based on everything being stock bushings and pins. What I got didn't fit that's all there is. I sent them back .
I also call skyjacker and ask them why their springs were only 2 1/2 inches wide when my spring perches welded to the axles are two and three-quarter inches wide . I'm sending them back also, so this puts me back to square one looking for springs, maybe not all 4 but I am sure someone out there has Springs I can use .
PS . Skyjacker says that little quarter-inch centering pin will Center your springs and keep them from shifting ,but in my experience Things rust and parts loosen.that's just my opinion . If Toyota wanted to make a 2 1/2 inch wide spring fit on a two and three-quarter inch Spring perch they would've made it.
I just finished a 1962 Chevy C10 pick up lowered 2 1/2 inch , brakes , airbaged , the rear 700 R4, converter lockup switch ,New gauges , rewired ,sandblasting new wheels new tires new everything new interior and I had never had one problem with any of the vendors that I dealt with or the sales people if I had to return a part .
But with this project I've been waiting to wake up from a bad dream
PS . Maybe somebody out there can text me about some spring information and maybe sell me some springs

Skyjacker (and some others) use 9/16", 3/4" or 11/16" bushings, so it's possible the problem was with your Skyjacker bushings not the SOR parts. Neither here nor there, without dimensions we are just taking a guess what and how it happened.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) would love to sell you springs, shackles, etc and can guarantee they will not only fit eachother but will be the correct dimensions for your FJ40. We can sell you a comprehensive kit or individual parts:

Complete kits:
Cruiser Outfitters
(we also have a new budget kit offering that comes with high-quality import shackles, pins and u-bolts for ~$200 less than the OME Ultimate offerings)

Individual parts (non-OME)
Cruiser Outfitters

Fwiw we've sold and installed thousands of Land Cruiser suspension kits, we use parts that are all designed to work together and fit the factory frame mounts. These kits are going to cost more than a Skyjacker kit... but they work and fit ;) These kits include the spring side and frame side bushings, all of the correct dimension shackles and pins, u-bolts, etc. One shipment shows up and you're done. Give us a call if that is something you would like to discuss.

These are pictures of the way it sits now, 37 1/2 inches on the rear on both sides only after I added a homemade shackle . It's 2 inches longer than the one on the driver side . What is puzzling , can't figure out where The difference is. I thought maybe the cab bushings were different size or gone. The arc of the springs are about the same with the weight of the truck on the ground. Confused and The funny thing about the whole thing is that it drives sooooooo good. But I can't have different size shackles on the back I've got to figure this out .
I hope someone could help me with this problem who might have had the same problem in the past.

IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

Not a very good picture of the spring shackle behind the rear passenger side wheel but it's 2 inches longer here's a better shot at it

IMG_0869.JPG

You are worrying about all the wrong things. How far are you from Elkhart?

Also, Kurt is one if the best in business and will only sell you stuff that works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom