Serpentine Belt Tensioner Replacement (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The smaller pulley looks cleaner, in my opinion. I installed mine a few days ago in order to troubleshoot some steering issues- needed replacing anyway, the original pulley spring was shot.

Thanks a bunch for the directions, OP. Helped out greatly!

Thanks for the thread and pictures. This helped me tremendously. I was going to check my pulley bearing before a road trip this week, and I found out was REALLY BAD. But the tensioner pulley housing was stressed and broke on me while removing the bolt (maybe during the timing belt replacement last week it was stressed or just because of age @205k miles on a 1999). This thread saved me some time during an unplanned repair. I replaced the whole tensioner assembly in an hour or two thanks to those of you on Mud. Appreciate the good write up.

IMG_8128.JPG

I just replaced the tensioner pulley on my 2009 GX470 (same engine except with VVTi and much less clearance for you to work in). According to Toyota, Dayco is the OEM manufacturer for the tensioner assembly. My tensioner was is good shape, but the pulley bearing wasn't. I was unable to source the pulley separately from the tensioners through any of the big box part stores or through Toyota/Lexus. I bought the entire tensioner assembly (Dayco) from Advance Auto parts for about $47 and installed just the pulley. The new tensioner is on the shelf waiting for the OEM to weaken or fail.

The FSM doesn't seem to agree with the statement that the tensioner thread is left handed. Can anyone comment or resolve the discrepancy?

Screen Shot 2017-03-28 at 10.38.26 AM.png

Turn counter clockwise to loosen the belt tension for belt removal.

Turn clockwise to remove the bolt/pulley.
Oh got it, thanks.

For another data point, I had ours replaced on a 2006 LX 470 w/110k miles by a local indy lexus mechanic here in South Bay part of Los Angeles. I was charged: $255 for labor, drive belt tensioner assy $90, Idler pulley $90 and drive belt $96 for a total of $531 before tax (all OEM parts). If I had the time and more than a :banana: brain I would've thought about doing it myself but time's limited and there's a road trip planned right around the corner.

For another data point, I had ours replaced on a 2006 LX 470 w/110k miles by a local indy lexus mechanic here in South Bay part of Los Angeles. I was charged: $255 for labor, drive belt tensioner assy $90, Idler pulley $90 and drive belt $96 for a total of $531 before tax (all OEM parts). If I had the time and more than a :banana: brain I would've thought about doing it myself but time's limited and there's a road trip planned right around the corner.
Ouchy. You've got peace of mind though.

I just replaced my tensioner as part of changing out the gasket on the o-ring on the coolant inlet housing, thermostat replacement, and coolant (green back to factory red).

Some notes from my changeL
1) remove the tensioner pulley - just gives you more room
2) on alternator removal - on my 98 it came out without having to touch the PS pump or pulley.
i used a strap as shown in the photo to suspend the alternator so the alternator wiring isn't taking any load. (see photo) I did the work from underneath and slid the alternator into the strap such that it acted as a sling. Hang the strap off the PS pulley as an anchor and then go underneath to set the alternator into the sling. You can push up on the alternator with one hand and tighten the strap with the other.
3) When putting the alternator back on, its easier if you put it on the upper bolt just a bit and then thread the bottom bolt so you can see that bottom bolt threading in. if you slide the alternator all the way on right away its just a little harder to get the bolt started.

IMG_3909.JPG

I did mine today with help from this tutorial. Took about 90 minutes. When I checked the tensioner it was in real bad shape. It did not even try to return to the correct position when I took pressure off. I was only getting a little squealing at start up, I don't know how the belt was even staying on at all. I used OEM replacement parts for the belt and tensioner assembly. $88 all in from ebay. My 98 did not require me to remove the PS pump pulley. I used a bungee cord to suspend the alternator after I unbolted it. Also of note: the 2 bolts and 1 nut on my tensioner were 12mm, not 10mm as noted in the DIY instructions. These instructions probably saved me 45 minutes to an hour. Thanks to all here and elsewhere on Mud for your valuable time saving help.

Just want to say thanks for these instructions! I got mine done in about 2 hours. It was snowing outside so my fingers were a bit numb. South Louisiana snow means cold as hell.

Anyway, I took the timing belt cover off before I messed with the alternator and the power steering pump. For a newb like myself it helped to see what was behind the curtain and was easy to get out of the way.

I have an 05 LC and I was able to remove the three bolts holding PS pump in and then slide it off to the side. I used a bungee cord to hold it out of the way, but it didn't seem necessary. After that the alternator just slid right off. So no reason to pull the pulley off the PS pump.

Everything else was just like the directions said.
400k on original tensioner.....not shabby.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread! Just completed this today on my 03 LC and this write-up saved me a lot of time.

I ended up moving the whole PS pump rather than removing the pulley which worked out pretty well and wasn't difficult at all.

One minor detail that I didn't see in the directions (unless I missed it) was that the alternator has a 12mm nut in addition to the 14mm nut and 14mm bolt that were listed. Everything else went pretty much as directed. Thanks again.

I need to do the tensioner/belt/idler pulley this weekend, can someone tell me if this will fit a 2001 LC? One guy says it didn't fit his 4.7 Tundra, some say it fits their LX 470 so i'm not sure. part number is different by 1. instead of 16620-0W100 it's 16620-0W101

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-16620-0W101-V-Belt-Tensioner/dp/B00GKMTIO6

Seems like a great price esp for prime members

FxFormat, 0w101 is the part that fit my 03 LC and I ordered it from Amazon. According to a couple Toyota parts sites it should fit your 2001.

FxFormat, 0w101 is the part that fit my 03 LC and I ordered it from Amazon. According to a couple Toyota parts sites it should fit your 2001.

Thank you, some people say the pulley attaches to it is smaller than original so I was worried it won’t give proper tension

Thank you, some people say the pulley attaches to it is smaller than original so I was worried it won’t give proper tension

Yup, it will fits for sure. I carry this with serpentine belt too =)

Yup, it will fits for sure. I carry this with serpentine belt too =)

you match Amazon pricing? I can get it from you. I need the belt, as well as the idler pulley.

you match Amazon pricing? I can get it from you. I need the belt, as well as the idler pulley.

I can do $99 shipped for the Genuine Toyota tensioner and Mitsuboshi serpentine belt ( OE Toyota Supplier ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom