Seeking help on Vortec intake plumbing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I tried the general FJ40 group and got a little data, but I thought I'd give you guys a try as well. I have installed a 5.3 Vortec into a FJ45. I will be using a Ron Davis radiator and conventional (18 inch) fan with a shroud. I'm seeking input on the tight confines of the air plenum (about 3.5 inches clearance) to the throttle body. Has anyone done the footwork on this part? Any good solutions? Can anyone ID this plastic piece?

Input from others puts it from a 2007 Tahoe?

TIA,

Jim
DSC00949.JPG

Looks like it fits pretty nice, no??
What's wrong with it?

I had ONE OPTION and it was a cobra elbow. Saved my ass!!
image-2275912378.jpg

why not run the stock GM air cleaner setup? I know on my 60 I get mud and crap all under the hood.. I know its a different engine but I run the stock GM air filter assembly on my 5.7 vortec.

Cirbo I got the Airaid-200-912 in my FJ60 with a 5.3
It is a cleaner set up but with the cone style airfilter I get to have about 1" clearance on the fender.
If you will be running a mech fan it will get on the way of the fan or shroud.
I run an electric fan so no worries there....
check out some of the other builds in here for pics on what others have done....
Here ----> link

Nice clean conversion you got there...

Another option for the 5.3 is to unbolt the intire intake and rotate it 180*. It is all modular and will work both ways. That way the inlet is at the back of the motor. I alost ran mine that way. Am running a snorkel with a universal inline air cleaner from Spectre Performance.

Another option for the 5.3 is to unbolt the intire intake and rotate it 180*. It is all modular and will work both ways. That way the inlet is at the back of the motor. I alost ran mine that way. Am running a snorkel with a universal inline air cleaner from Spectre Performance.

Can you share pictures of this set-up?:hmm:

jC

That airaid intake tube looks like a good deal - if you can make it fit. I ended up using a short radius 90 to the MAF sensor, then this slick flex tube down to the air filter:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9751/

I had an original airbox that I thought of using, but there's no way that monster was fitting anywhere under my hood....

Glad to see more 5.3 swaps! I like mine!
2274 (800x600).jpg

Just to clarify, the picture at the top of the post is not my truck. It is of a FJ60 series engine compartment. My WIP is a '67 FJ45.

Looking at the other installs, I think my motor is pushed up closer to the front than the other examples. I had considered reversing the intake, but doubt it would increase the amount of needed space.

Thanks to all for your input.:cheers:

jC
DSC06936.jpg
DSC06944.jpg

Kind of on topic, where are people getting the flex tube? I'm thinking about just using the cobra head with a little flexy tube then a cone. Do you think there is much risk of water getting in?

BigBlueCruiser said:
Kind of on topic, where are people getting the flex tube? I'm thinking about just using the cobra head with a little flexy tube then a cone. Do you think there is much risk of water getting in?

The cobra head is plenty flexy!!
I actually used a PVC elbow to connect the filter to. I was worried about it, but it seems to be doing just fine.

I don't know which part of Oregon you're in, but if around the Willamette Valley, got to Western Tool Supply. There you'll find plastic flex tubing, much tougher than dryer vent tubing, that is used for vacuum dust control systems. The common sizes are 3" and 4". I have used the 4" for air intake on my 83 Chev diesel pickup.

If not close to a Western Tool store, any place that stocks woodworking tools and machinery should have, or can order, the tubing.

Don

Thanks Don I have one just a couple miles down from my house. I'll look them up.

Nice 45!

I got my flex tube at summit - link is in my first post. It is definitely much more substantial than dryer hose.

Cirbo said:
Just to clarify, the picture at the top of the post is not my truck. It is of a FJ60 series engine compartment. My WIP is a '67 FJ45.

Looking at the other installs, I think my motor is pushed up closer to the front than the other examples. I had considered reversing the intake, but doubt it would increase the amount of needed space.

Thanks to all for your input.:cheers:

jC

I like the intake "cover" you have now. :)

I need to track down some more pics of your build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom