Seatbelts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Right. So it seems as if that 80 series driver's side seatbelts are like finding the golden ticket in Willy Wonka.

Question is can I swap out a left side rear seat belt, as I am removing the seats in one of my 80s.

You can get new (aftermarket) seat belts here in Australia for around $160AU, or you can get really good condition second hand ones (as our passenger side rarely get used) from Australian EBay/wreckers. Not sure what shipping would be like though...

I could potentially help out and send over a few (Hall 4x4 in Bayswater Victoria is just up the road from me and they tend to have good pricing). May not be worth it for one, but shipping over several could be worth it....

cheers

My driver's side seatbelt wouldn't retract so I removed it, cleaned it, and tightened the spring. Except for the appearance of minor wear on the edges, the seat belt feels really nice and retracts almost like new.

Are the passenger side and driver side swappable? I may take my driver off (it’s in bad shape) and swap the passenger belt over while the driver is at Safety Restore.

You can swap out the driver side 3rd row for the driver. You need to take the belt out of the lower anchor and feed it into the original driver lower anchor. The shoulder anchor will bolt up but look different/ not as clean.

You can swap out the driver side 3rd row for the driver. You need to take the belt out of the lower anchor and feed it into the original driver lower anchor. The shoulder anchor will bolt up but look different/ not as clean.
I did this as well. I was able to use a small file to open up the shoulder anchor enough to slip it off and swap them so it looks factory. Works fine as long as you're not a large person. The third row belt is about 6 inches shorter than the regular front belt. Mine was supposed to be temporary until I could get them into a restoration place. It's been 4 years now...

+ another one for safety restore. I had both fronts rebuilt for about $160; they look great and retract like butta
And where did you get them restored?

And where did you get them restored?
Webbing Replacement - Safety Restore - https://www.safetyrestore.com/webbing-replacement - They will re-web and rebuild the retractor mechanisms. Turn around time for me was about a week including shipping.

Felt better about having new webbing sewn in and the mechanisms gone through than trying to source a good used drivers side belt, or try to make something work that wasn't really designed to go there. Color match is close enough to stock that I doesn't bug me.

IMG_1157.jpg

Last edited:
@Toddo

What type of seatcovers (escape gear?)? Those are the best, per my tastes, that I've seen yet in an 80. Are you happy with them? I go back and forth on recovering my worn but not torn leather or updating foam and then installing seat covers...

Nice work on the clean interior, even including an og cig. lighter! And is that a rubber snake in the center console? ha :)

@Toddo

What type of seatcovers (escape gear?)? Those are the best, per my tastes, that I've seen yet in an 80. Are you happy with them? I go back and forth on recovering my worn but not torn leather or updating foam and then installing seat covers...

Nice work on the clean interior, even including an og cig. lighter! And is that a rubber snake in the center console? ha :)

Good eye, yep snake in the console. I guess it's an odd tradition; most of the trucks I've had ran around with a rubber snake on the dash. This one is cloth and it slides around a bit too much, so it's relegated to the cupholder most of the time.

Seat covers are from Escape Gear. Fit and finish on them is really nice and they have been wearing like iron. Headrests were a bit of a squeeze, but the seat bottoms and backs are really precise fit. My drivers side bottom was worn, but not torn as well. Replaced the bottom foam recently to get the bolster back. My thought is that the covers will keep the upholstery together for a bit longer. Time will tell on that I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom