Searching for the best ride quality in a mild lift (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Top o' the morning everyone,

I am in the market for a 2in-2.5in lift for my 'new to me' 06 gx470. Which will be used mainly as daily commuter and a camping trip maybe once every 2 months.
Currently sitting on the stock bags but they are very stiff in the rear and are having issues, so they have to go.

I'm leaning towards the Dobinsons IMS 2.5'' lift kit with the stock load springs so the ride isn't harsh.
Wanting to preserve the ride quality as best I can as my other vehicle is a lowered Kia Stinger and it bucks like a bull on rough roads.

Any recommendations/ Insight are greatly appreciated.

I trimmed it in the bottom and pushed it forward. I drilled a new hole in the bottom to hold it forward with the existing screw
I’m also starting to wonder if the body mount on my 2003 is different than other years. I have 285s and the body mount looks stock and out of the way. It has never touched my tire

I had KO2 285s with stock UCAs and the body Mount never touched. Hmmmm

My issue has been touching the sway bar and frame in full turns only. I also moved the front liner forward about 1/2” to 1”. Don’t remember exactly.

Last edited:
I trimmed it in the bottom front of the liner and pushed it forward. I drilled a new hole in the bottom to hold it forward with the existing screw

Not having issues with the front of the tires rubbing. The issue I am having is towards the rear of the tire. That's what that last picture is. Front Drivers side, rear of tire.

Ah…the rear of the front tire was never an issue with mine.

Moving caster forward is supposed to fix the issue on the rear of the tire so I thought.

Not having issues with the front of the tires rubbing. The issue I am having is towards the rear of the tire. That's what that last picture is. Front Drivers side, rear of tire.
I think the negative offset of those wheels is what is causing your issue. You just need more clearance as the wheel is pushed farther out from the vehicle with those rims. How wide are the wheels?

I think the negative offset of those wheels is what is causing your issue. You just need more clearance as the wheel is pushed farther out from the vehicle with those rims. How wide are the wheels?
-12mm offset. 275 wide tires.

The tires are 275. How wide are the wheels themselves? 7” wide? 8” wide?
My fault, not too familiar with how wheels are sized. They are 17x9 so 9in wide.

My fault, not too familiar with how wheels are sized. They are 17x9 so 9in wide.
Yea that is your issue. Between the negative offset and the 9” width you pushed the wheel way out. Now the arc the outside of the tire makes in a turn is super wide and that is why you are hitting the mount. Many of us on here only run a 7” or 8” rim, with a small positive offset. The TRD wheels many on here run are 7” wide with a 4mm positive offset.

The tires are 275. How wide are the wheels themselves? 7” wide? 8” wide?
Never thought about the actual width of the wheel itself. Just the offset. Kicking myself now ha.

Just a little more trimming/fitment ill have to do. Thanks for clarifying, really appreciate it.

That’s weird. I run 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 17x9 -12 wheels and I have zero issues with the back of the tire hitting the body mount.

I do have TotalChaos UCAs on about 3.5 degree positive caster.

That’s weird. I run 285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 17x9 -12 wheels and I have zero issues with the back of the tire hitting the body mount.

I do have TotalChaos UCAs on about 3.5 degree positive caster.

That is weird. I am running 3.4 and 3.6 degrees of caster too. With JBA high caster UCAs.
Maybe the overall tire size is different? I know they can vary slightly based on manufacture.

Odd none the less. Very obvious rubbing on body mount before I trimmed it. Well see how it pans out when I finish it next week.

First, good luck with the trimming. Second, this just proves the point that everyone's mods can be slightly different even when using similar components. Anyways, I was looking at the manufacturer specs from Nitto and my Ridge Grapplers are big and fat. Nittos specs for a 285/70R17 have the overall tire diameter at 32.76" and the width at 11.5" which seems to be overstated. Most tire calculators say they are supposed to be 32.7" by 11.2". I went out to measure, but it's hard to measure precisely because the tire bulges out in the middle when installed. It does look like it's around 11.5" wide when installed (not the footprint on the ground, but the middle part that bulges out).

And finally, this doesn't help you since you are rubbing with smaller tires which is just perplexing to me, but here are the Nitto specs showing their inflated tire sizes:

LT285/70R17 E 121/118Q21700016.432.7611.507.5-(8.5)-9.53195 @ 8057.89

1637769089923.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom