Searching for the best ride quality in a mild lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Top o' the morning everyone,

I am in the market for a 2in-2.5in lift for my 'new to me' 06 gx470. Which will be used mainly as daily commuter and a camping trip maybe once every 2 months.
Currently sitting on the stock bags but they are very stiff in the rear and are having issues, so they have to go.

I'm leaning towards the Dobinsons IMS 2.5'' lift kit with the stock load springs so the ride isn't harsh.
Wanting to preserve the ride quality as best I can as my other vehicle is a lowered Kia Stinger and it bucks like a bull on rough roads.

Any recommendations/ Insight are greatly appreciated.

BIlsteins ride like ass. Stiff as hell. OME is similar.

Get Dobinsons comfort if you want a nice ride.

BIlsteins ride like ass. Stiff as hell. OME is similar.

Get Dobinsons comfort if you want a nice ride.
Too late. Already have them, lighter springs that most people run though. 600lbs

Too late. Already have them, lighter springs that most people run though. 600lbs

I just recently installed the 6112 with the 600lbs springs and it rides awesome, you won't be disappointed. I wanted a super mild lift so I ran the 6112s at the second to lowest perch. I should have measured before to see how much lift it gave me but I forgot. I estimate I got about 1.25" in the front. I did the airbag trick in the back to get about 1" in the rear and replaced the airbags in the back with Arnott air bags. I am really happy how it came out and the ride quality is still very good. This is mainly my wife's daily driver for now and even she comments on how nice the ride is. To keep that factory ride quality you gotta keep the airbags.

I just recently installed the 6112 with the 600lbs springs and it rides awesome, you won't be disappointed. I wanted a super mild lift so I ran the 6112s at the second to lowest perch. I should have measured before to see how much lift it gave me but I forgot. I estimate I got about 1.25" in the front. I did the airbag trick in the back to get about 1" in the rear and replaced the airbags in the back with Arnott air bags. I am really happy how it came out and the ride quality is still very good. This is mainly my wife's daily driver for now and even she comments on how nice the ride is. To keep that factory ride quality you gotta keep the airbags.
Good to hear it rides well. Based on a few post Ive seen I was slightly worried. I set my struts on the second to highest perch. so the 2nd from the very top. Hopping for a 2in lift with still good ride quality, we shall see in a week or so once everything is wrapped up. Where did you source the washers for the air bag trick? I have yet to purchase those yet. I will probably do the mod before I have new shocks in the rear installed. See how everything up front is for a few weeks.

Minor Update:

I have laid down the POR-15 on what I could reach from the passenger front fender well with a paint brush. I first degreased it, but got impatient and didn't use the recommended POR-15 metal etcher. Instead I used rust-kutter that I had lying around.

I painted the frame rail, strut tower and areas by the LCA brackets. Painted on one coat and an hour or so later... (while the first coat was still tacky) a second coat.

Definitely doesn't look like a showroom quality paint due to the imperfections from scaling, but it looks solid. We shall see.

I will try to take some pics for you guys. I have been neglecting taking some.

Coming together! Just need a lower strut bolt and the correct size sockets to torque everything down.

IMG_3559.jpg

Good to hear it rides well. Based on a few post Ive seen I was slightly worried. I set my struts on the second to highest perch. so the 2nd from the very top. Hopping for a 2in lift with still good ride quality, we shall see in a week or so once everything is wrapped up. Where did you source the washers for the air bag trick? I have yet to purchase those yet. I will probably do the mod before I have new shocks in the rear installed. See how everything up front is for a few weeks.
Washers to lower the rear air bag sensors can be bought at Home Depot. Use anything like nuts or washes to lower the height sensor so that the airbags go higher. I think it’s a 2:1 ratio.

Lower the sensors 1/2” to get a 1” lift or so.

Also, the Bilstein 6112s with 600 lbs/in coils ride like butter up front

Last edited:
Quick question for whoever might have good insight

These torque specs are for a GX460 as I couldn't find much consolidated for the gx470 online.

Am I good to use these numbers? I know the vehicles are very similar.

front_suspension_torque_specs_869bd47e46eb803579879d21ee6ec9fb09558931.png

Good evening everyone,

I recently wrapped up my front lift and I am ready to install my new wheels and tires.
I have more clearance than I originally anticipated and couldn't see needing to trim at all based on the clearance I have now.

Based on everyone's experience and the photo below, do you guys think I will need to do any trimming to fit 275s with a -12mm offset wheel?

Stock 265 tire and wheel setup below
IMG_3712[1].jpg

I would say minimal trimming if any with 275/70R17s and your lift/uca upgrades.

Just make sure you get a wheel alignment and get a positive caster at least 4 degrees to push the tire forward a little.

Are you interested in skinny tall tires? I’ve been running 285s for 5 years and I’m thinking of going to a 33x10.5 tire to see if it rubs less than my 285s.

I would say minimal trimming if any with 275/70R17s and your lift/uca upgrades.

Just make sure you get a wheel alignment and get a positive caster at least 4 degrees to push the tire forward a little.

Are you interested in skinny tall tires? I’ve been running 285s for 5 years and I’m thinking of going to a 33x10.5 tire to see if it rubs less than my 285s.

My JBA UCA's recommend a 3degree positive caster but I will try for 4 when I get it aligned. I've just been told it can get hard to adjust caster on these gx's sometimes.

Also, I already have my tires and wheels - Went with Wildpeak ATs 275/70R17. And some amazon specials wheels :rofl:
I'm going to try and get the new shoes mounted this Friday. Then an alignment from a reputable shop next week.

Just praying they don't round out my cam tabs.. that's something that i've been worried about from the start. They weren't in the best condition.

Will keep you updated on the rubbing situation.

I have 275s on TRD Pro wheels (+4 offset) with stock suspension and they barely rub on full lock. I moved the front portion of my fender liners forward and the 275s are close, but they clear without rubbing there. If I hadn't moved them, they would most likely rub.

Increased caster and -12 offset wheels will make the front fender liners even more of an issue

This video shows how to easily reposition the fender liners.

I have 275s on TRD Pro wheels (+4 offset) with stock suspension and they barely rub on full lock. I moved the front portion of my fender liners forward and the 275s are close, but they clear without rubbing there. If I hadn't moved them, they would most likely rub.

Increased caster and -12 offset wheels will make the front fender liners even more of an issue

This video shows how to easily reposition the fender liners.

Did this mod yesterday, very easy with the video tutorial.

Hoping I dont rub too much on the rear of the front 2 tires. Getting the wheels and tires mounted before the alignment.

IMG_3721.jpg

I have the new shoes mounted up! Exact look I was going for. (Still need to trick rear bags, in photo bags are on HI)

I am rubbing slightly at lock on left hand turns on the body mount. Was hoping I wouldn't have this issue as I don't have a welder to properly weld up the wedge you're supposed to cut out..
Alignment Is this Tuesday so we'll see how some caster helps.

On a good note, when I went to get my new wheels and tires mounted, I had forgotten about the TPMS sensors.
So I told the tech to dismount the old tires pull the sensors and remount onto the new setup.

When I returned he informed me that he didn't want to do the labor so he just gave me all new 4 sensors.
Paid $150 instead of $500, had I asked for new sensors from the get-go.
I'll take my win on that one.

Top o' the morning everyone,

I am in the market for a 2in-2.5in lift for my 'new to me' 06 gx470. Which will be used mainly as daily commuter and a camping trip maybe once every 2 months.
Currently sitting on the stock bags but they are very stiff in the rear and are having issues, so they have to go.

I'm leaning towards the Dobinsons IMS 2.5'' lift kit with the stock load springs so the ride isn't harsh.
Wanting to preserve the ride quality as best I can as my other vehicle is a lowered Kia Stinger and it bucks like a bull on rough roads.

Any recommendations/ Insight are greatly appreciated.

I got the Dobinsons IMS lift done recently with SPC upper control arms. I went with 3". The overall the ride is much softer and floatier than sport mode on the air bags. Probably closer to the second to most softest setting on the airbags. I personally liked the stiffer ride in sport mode, but ah well. Now I can do some serious off roading.

So I got my alignment done yesterday finally..

I gave them the alignment specs that JBA recommended but un-surprisingly, they decided that the specs were not good so they tried to match stock alignment instead. Which called for less toe.

Also, I must have rushed through the passenger side LCA replacement as the forward Cam was clocked differently from the front of the cam to the rear.. So i guess it didn't seat correctly in the slot for the 2 half's of the cam. (hope that makes sense)

I do notice that the truck pulls slightly to the right, at like every speed.. Does seem to get worse at speed so that has me confused.
I am going to make sure I don't have a brake sticking or bearing that's seizing and swap Fr tires. Really want this thing to track straight. As I replaced the entire front end.

If anyone sees anything off about these specs, please chime in. Id appreciate it.
IMG_3750.jpg

Your alignment sheet has more measurements than mine. Mine doesn't include cross measurements, SAI, nor included angle. The rest are similar. Over time, my alignment shop took it from over 4.6 caster to now in the mid 3's (3.2 and 3.8). My total toe is 0.09 (0.05 and 0.04). And my camber is positive at .2 and .3. Mine has a steer ahead measurement set to 0.00.

Did they test drive after the alignment to make sure it tracks straight? I would take it back and tell them it's pulling to one side.

Mine tracks straight even though I have similar measurements as yours.

Your alignment sheet has more measurements than mine. Mine doesn't include cross measurements, SAI, nor included angle. The rest are similar. Over time, my alignment shop took it from over 4.6 caster to now in the mid 3's (3.2 and 3.8). My total toe is 0.09 (0.05 and 0.04). And my camber is positive at .2 and .3. Mine has a steer ahead measurement set to 0.00.

Did they test drive after the alignment to make sure it tracks straight? I would take it back and tell them it's pulling to one side.

Mine tracks straight even though I have similar measurements as yours.

They test drove it but just around the shop. So no.

I’ll take it back to get it re-checked. Just afraid they will give me crap if I bring it back with the fixed lca cam.

Thanks again @HomersCanyonero you’ve been a great help with dialing everything in.

So it seems that clearing these 275/ 70s is tougher than anticipated.
The body mount chop on the drivers side wouldn't have to be readdressed if I did my homework right, but its a simple fix.

My question is how are people clearing the inner fender? (as seen in the 3rd pic)

I bashed in the pinch weld and formed the plastic but now it looks super close to touching further outward of the fender. I do have the 3d printed in caps on which arent helping. Just looks closer than it should be.

Body Mount chop 1.jpg

Body Mount Chop 2.jpg

Body mount chop 3.jpg

So it seems that clearing these 275/ 70s is tougher than anticipated.
The body mount chop on the drivers side wouldn't have to be readdressed if I did my homework right, but its a simple fix.

My question is how are people clearing the inner fender? (as seen in the 3rd pic)

I bashed in the pinch weld and formed the plastic but now it looks super close to touching further outward of the fender. I do have the 3d printed in caps on which arent helping. Just looks closer than it should be.

View attachment 2846212

View attachment 2846213

View attachment 2846214
I trimmed it in the bottom front of the liner and pushed it forward. I drilled a new hole in the bottom to hold it forward with the existing screw

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom