For Sale Salt Lake City, UT - 1974 Toyota FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Tan
1974 Toyota FJ40 that has spent the bulk of its life in the Southwest.

I’ve owned the truck for about 7 years. When I purchased it from Kanab, UT, it had a small block chevy motor and a Ranger 2 speed overdrive adapted to the stock Toyota 4 speed. After about a year or so, I removed the small block and Ranger and purchased a rusted out 1984 Toyota FJ60 for a parts doner to put the drivetrain back to an original style. That truck had about 285,000 miles on the odo. At the time the motor leaked from every seal and gasket but started and ran. I removed the motor, eliminated all of the smog garbage, degreased and cleaned, purchased a new reproduction de-smogged carb from Tollhole, inspected rod and main bearings, bores etc, and resealed the entire motor. I also installed new cooling system parts to include water pump, themostat, hoses, fan and fan clutch. It does not overheat. I sourced an FJ40 factory bellhousing along with mounts, sourced used OEM frame and engine side motor mounts, a new Toyota clutch and installed the 2F motor. I also used the FJ60 power steering pump and gearbox to eliminate the rag joint pushpull style gear box. The factory column uses a Borgesen shaft to connect to the FJ60 power steering box. I also installed new Tie Rod Ends. Tires are BFG All Terrains in 33x12.5x15 mounted on factory steel wheels. FJ60 OEM electronic ignition was used as well as the higher output internally regulated FJ60 alternator

At the same time, I went through the steering knuckles and replaced trunnion bearings, wheel bearings, inner axle seals, felts, rubbers and repacked everything with fresh grease. Replaced brake shoes and wheel cylinders as well. Shocks are new. My goal was to turn the truck into a reliable rig I could use for weekend trips into the back country with my family. We’ve used the truck this way for the past 5 or 6 years and have made a lot of great memories.

Overall all the condition of this rig is solid. It is clean enough to be proud of, but not so nice that a guy would feel bad to use it. To me it strikes the perfect balance. If you are a purist and looking for numbers matching original this isn’t the truck for you. If you love these rigs and want one to drive on the road and trail, and wrench on improving things as you go, this is the perfect rig for you.

The truck comes with a number of spare parts and accessories. I have a bikini soft top and soft half doors. There are a number of small spare parts. Door mounted round mirrors. It has a Spectre Off Road auxiliary fuel tank mounted in the rear. It’s got a Ramsey 8000 lb winch with wire rope. I’m sure there are lots of things I’m not remembering.

Items that need attention are the following. The motor is approaching 300,000 miles and it is showing its age. While the engine doesn’t have any leads, it burns motor oil. It still starts and runs reliably, but it could use a rebuild at some future point. Suspension bushings are tired and cracked. They should be replaced and it would probably help overall ride and handling. The transmission and transfer case have a few leaks. I haven’t identified where for sure, but I’m pretty sure it is the output on the transfer case that’s causing drips on my garage floor. Both the trans and transfer case shift very well and function flawlessly. Pulling them out and replacing input and output seals would probably do the trick.

As for the body it is nice and solid with a few small exceptions. There is a small spot on the drivers front fender that had a past repair, and the rear sill has something going on. See photos.

I’m asking $20,000 for this truck. I truly think it will make someone very happy, and I am sorry to see it go. It’s been a lot of fun for us over the years. Call or Text 801-669-0388. I don’t typically answer calls from numbers I don’t recognize. If I don’t answer be sure to leave a VM or follow up with a text.

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5834.jpeg

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5827.jpeg

IMG_5823.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom