Safari Snorkel install LX470 100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks...i think this one is for newer models....i dont like the look as much
images

part numbers are listed as SS81HF and SS86HF
Isn't that still for the 99-2007 LCers. It looks like this design was made to not have to mess with the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone

Isn't that still for the 99-2007 LCers. It looks like this design was made to not have to mess with the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone

ok, maybe it is....i was just searching around and kept seeing that part number pop up and wanted to make sure that i got the correct one if/when i ordered

This is a great thread as it encouraged me to attempt my own snorkel install. One big thing that I am currently stuck on is getting the original antenna out. Mine is unhooked completely but still stuck in by the rubber holder/ gromit thing attaching it to the sheet metal. How do I get this thing out! (It will be easy they said, just do it yourself they said...4 hrs later)

THis is a great build and your ride looks great.

I have a safari snorkel which i got including the fender from another car. So I had the denter remove the fender off my car and fix this. Now I dont have the Pillar support and am not wanting to put the holes in the pillar.

Is this necessary. Is there some other way to support the neck of the snorkel without actually drilling the Pillar. Look forward to your ideas.

THis is a great build and your ride looks great.

I have a safari snorkel which i got including the fender from another car. So I had the denter remove the fender off my car and fix this. Now I dont have the Pillar support and am not wanting to put the holes in the pillar.

Is this necessary. Is there some other way to support the neck of the snorkel without actually drilling the Pillar. Look forward to your ideas.
I really didn't want to drill into my pillar either, so I talked to my friend that works for the dealership paint shop to get some options. There are some adhesives that might have worked to hold the bracket on. His opinion was that It would be better to drill because the repair would be simple if I ever wanted to take it off. The adhesives would need to be ground off and repainted anyway.

how about if I drill in to the gutter and fix the connecting part of the snorkel into the gutter instead. Does the throat move about a lot. I am worried about stressing the gutter area. I am thinking 2x 1/8" holes within the gutter should hold the throat in place? Whats your opinion?

I'm not sure how much it really moves. With the pillar mount, it is VERY solid. It might be worth a try going to the gutter. It was a hard choice for me, but I just drilled into the pillar.

I'm not sure how much it really moves. With the pillar mount, it is VERY solid. It might be worth a try going to the gutter. It was a hard choice for me, but I just drilled into the pillar.
Thanks I had the same feeling with the FJ cruiser. I had a hard time selling it too.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm about to do my Safari Snorkel install - just wondering what you did about the hole from the old antenna? Sorry if I missed it. I'm going to use a Firestik on a Gamiviti mount to keep FM/AM but don't want a partially exposed hole on top of my fender.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm about to do my Safari Snorkel install - just wondering what you did about the hole from the old antenna? Sorry if I missed it. I'm going to use a Firestik on a Gamiviti mount to keep FM/AM but don't want a partially exposed hole on top of my fender.
hey, I just left the hole there. there was only a small part of the hole showing when I was done.

hey, I just left the hole there. there was only a small part of the hole showing when I was done.

I did the same. Picked up a universal FM antenna that can stick inside the Cab on the windshield.

About to do mine this afternoon... Should be a good test of my mental strength to drill the 4-1/4" hole in the fender, then again to drill the A pilar. But I think the benefits of the snorkel far outweigh the 3 holes into the a pilar. I'm going to use threaded nut inserts "nutserts" that rivet on instead of the aluminium rivets the amazon snorkel kit provided. I'll take some photos and add here.

two questions. 1. Did you guys do anything to cover the intake hole inside the hood so that dirt and/or water couldn't get into the engine bay from around the rubber? 2. Did the safari snorkel come with some sort of rubberized gasket that goes between the snorkel body and the exterior wall of the fender? I bought a sheet of gasket material that I was planning on custom fitting to the snorkel but not sure if it's necessary. Any word from the real ARB kit? again, mine is a knock off.

Thanks!

About to do mine this afternoon... Should be a good test of my mental strength to drill the 4-1/4" hole in the fender, then again to drill the A pilar. But I think the benefits of the snorkel far outweigh the 3 holes into the a pilar. I'm going to use threaded nut inserts "nutserts" that rivet on instead of the aluminium rivets the amazon snorkel kit provided. I'll take some photos and add here.

two questions. 1. Did you guys do anything to cover the intake hole inside the hood so that dirt and/or water couldn't get into the engine bay from around the rubber? 2. Did the safari snorkel come with some sort of rubberized gasket that goes between the snorkel body and the exterior wall of the fender? I bought a sheet of gasket material that I was planning on custom fitting to the snorkel but not sure if it's necessary. Any word from the real ARB kit? again, mine is a knock off.

Thanks!

1. Nope. The rubber seats far enough onto the air box that I think the clamp is sufficient.
2. No, but I got the Amazon knockoff.
3. Again no. I'm trying to picture it, but not seeing a way where it would be helpful. The snorkel body is tough enough that the metal won't damage it.

Sounds like total BS, but instead of drilling the pillar, you can use magnets. @mudbutt did it here: What have you done to your 100 Series this week?. I followed what he did, even buying the same magnets (he posted the Amazon link as well). No movement on mine, I'm totally happy with it.

1. Nope. The rubber seats far enough onto the air box that I think the clamp is sufficient.
2. No, but I got the Amazon knockoff.
3. Again no. I'm trying to picture it, but not seeing a way where it would be helpful. The snorkel body is tough enough that the metal won't damage it.

Sounds like total BS, but instead of drilling the pillar, you can use magnets. @mudbutt did it here: What have you done to your 100 Series this week?. I followed what he did, even buying the same magnets (he posted the Amazon link as well). No movement on mine, I'm totally happy with it.

Thanks for this! I installed and everything went smooth. Drilling in the 4" and the A pilar was... whatever :) I have been mentally preparing for weeks though. The snorkel seated well but I wound up using the 2 mil gasket that I bought to both seal the snorkel to the fender really nice and solid but also to seal the screws from the exterior. This thing is pretty tight now... Used nutserts on the a pilar and siliconed them as well as painted all of the deburred raw metal drilled holes with 2-3 coats of paint. Hoping it holds up. The magnets sound very doable and would be a great way to keep from drilling there. Great idea! You should post a pic or two on this thread?

Amazon snorkel install gets a thumbs up in my book. Easy and saved me over 200 bucks. Although, I need to give some thanks to the OP of this thread for documenting and just breaking down this install. Made it way easier to prepare and do it myself. Grazi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom