Sad day... motor is done... replacement options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, in 96 my F died. It's replacement a 70 SBC 350 is going to need a major overhaul. Which isn't in the budget. 21 years on a $300 motor... I think I came out ahead.

Anyone know of a good runner? SBC (aka boat anchor) pre 86 would be my first choice. Pre 73ish even better.

Decent 3B or other diesel options?

Other power plants? The easier the better... money is a consideration. I'm old and broken so I'm not looking for the most complicated option, but I'll consider all.

Even considering an EFI conversion... and or Vortec.

Easy might be a 2F with EFI.

2F ship has sailed, shafts are modified, mounts are gone... too much work for a sideways step.

Considering that one, although for $1200 plus everything I'd need for 86+ (Flywheel for starters). I'm not estatic about that option.

Easy might be a 2F with EFI.

Complete Vortec donor truck would be easier than conversion back to an F from a SBC.

Asked them for a price. Mileage is higher than I'd like.

Have made contact with seller with a 95 Blazer motor that had new heads a year ago... on propane, comes with truck for $600 ask.

Need to pull my heads to see how broken and worn out the motor is... just a handful of bolts left for that answer.

Anyone know of any Diesel power options? The math didn't work to pull a good motor... it changes things when money needs to be spent.

Even considering a 6.2 they're not without fault, but would likely do ok in a 40 ;)

PM sent, I might have what you need.

There was a cheap 3B diesel on used vic a few days ago, but I can't find it now....

Will keep my eye out for options though.

Last time I was out at sooke wreckers getting parts for my suburban, straight take out Vortec was about $600. That was a year and a half ago. YMMV

Which wrecker in Sooke? I'll keep that on the back burner.

I've opened up my motor, and it appears healthier than I feared. The bores are silky smooth with almost no ridge. It has flattop pistons and the heads also look good. I still need to pull it and see if a rod bolt broke or if it has only spun a bearing.

I'm feeling like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel... won't know for certain till it's measured up, but I'd rather build a '69 350 with flat top pistons than spend just as much on a 210 hp V8... or even less.

Which wrecker in Sooke? I'll keep that on the back burner.

I've opened up my motor, and it appears healthier than I feared. The bores are silky smooth with almost no ridge. It has flattop pistons and the heads also look good. I still need to pull it and see if a rod bolt broke or if it has only spun a bearing.

I'm feeling like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel... won't know for certain till it's measured up, but I'd rather build a '69 350 with flat top pistons than spend just as much on a 210 hp V8... or even less.

Old adage, then you will have piece of mind and know what you have under the hood...

I think rebuilding an old sb chev for a land cruiser is a bit backwards. Vortecs are cheap and will easily make more power than that old iron(while burning less fuel). Also about 10 times more reliable.

I think rebuilding an old sb chev for a land cruiser is a bit backwards. Vortecs are cheap and will easily make more power than that old iron(while burning less fuel). Also about 10 times more reliable.

Backwards, how so? Putting a motor with 50 year old technology into a vehicle with 50 year old technology... carbs haven't let me down... computers do. When I'm honest with myself, I'm not up to doing a major rewire, and don't have the budget to pay someone.

I've also been let down far more often by new technology than old. In 26 years I've always been able to drive it home. The only time I didn't was when a 45 year old block heater broke, and it was easier to deal with it in the morning rather than at midnight.

As for more power, I've got 300 hp already and don't need any more.

I will also PM you. Probably same option as cruiserpilot though.

Change of direction... found a one owner, '72, 72k miles, non-smoking, 350... for a negotiated price of $300 with a spare TH350 trans (and other spare driveshafts).

This'll get the 40 roadworthy this month... rather than sometime next year... or even further down the road.

Anyone need a Turbo 350 or Chevy driveshafts?

Peeked below the pan after chiseling off 1/4" of clay/oil/grime it's a 4 bolt... dished pistons :(

Should work well after the broken bits of cam sprocket are addressed. Oddly enough I've got a Cloyes True Roller chain and low miles RV cam handy. It remains to be see how it'll perform going from 10.25:1 to 8.5:1... don't care to much about lower top end numbers, just hope it'll pull well at 600 rpm.

Only a handful of little things left now... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom