Ryan's 4Runner Diesel Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW, I finally got a proper power steering hose made at a hydraulic shop and I added a top-mount intercooler to help keep the EGT's down on the highway. I was pulling hills and hitting 1000+ degrees F running at 65. Now, I am running more boost, more fuel, and rarely passing 800*F.

wow, that is soooo awesome! sweet swap ryan!

Thanks.

Right now I am just having trouble keeping the inter cooler lines together under heavy boost. I welded some beads on the metal couplings a couple of days ago, so hopefully it stays together this time. Power is way beyond what it was originally, even with the turbo. Some fuel and air went a long way and the intercooler is keeping EGT's under control. I can pass people on the highway without downshifting and that's an underrated accomplishment.

i understand what you are talking about with the whole passing people on the interstate thing. my supercharged 3.4 with methanol injection makes passing people on the interstate easy as pie. i was rolling tween 80-85 down the interstate the other day on 41's in 5th. it feels soooo great! that diesels gotta be great for torque!

One day you need to roll that mutt to SCC Nick :D

She's alive again.

What it looks like happened, is that I plugged up the first filter (an inline filter that I added). Then, I replaced that with a bigger one. However, it seems that the bigger one is more restrictive. Even with a new and clean one and straight diesel, when I rev the engine by hand, I can see that there is vacuum. When revved, the handle on the primer pump gets sucked down and the engine dies. The handle will return slowly. If you crack a line after the filter, the handle immediately pops back up. If you crack it before the filter, it comes back up very slowly. To further prove the theory, I start the engine and revved it a couple of times until the handle dropped and it started to sputter. I then opened it to full throttle and the filter imploded.

Now, I just need to find something less restrictive.

X3 glad to hear it wasn't anything major Ryan :)

am more inclined that you have a restriction before the filter possible hose orintake screen.

What filter are you running? if it is intended to be used with an in tank lift pump just running suction from an engine mounted lift pump might not cut it. Put an AirDog 150 on it :D

Typically there's no loft pump with this engine, but I have thought about using one. Since I have no screen, I just cleaned the tank and placed a small inline filter ahead of the main diesel filter, just to catch junk and make the main filter last longer. The first filter I ran was a smaller filter like what would be on a motorcycle or ATV, it worked great. Once it plugged up, I switched to something like what would be on a carbureted car. I thought it plugged up quickly and I replaced it with the same type, the second one collapsed after I noticed the suction. It is a clear filter and you could see the filter element crush inside of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom