Rusty Wagon Rebuild (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, we all just tolerate Ward since he is old.
What's scary is when ADD merges with short term memory loss - "I am obsessed about something but I can't remember what."

I don't think I'm there yet, but how can I be sure? Just think what we all have to look forward to... IF we live long enough!

Seriously, the one thing I AM sure of is how cool WagonGear gear is. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

You're always welcome to come up and take apart the Prince Edward Island BJ42 if you miss the rusty bolts. :D I suspect bondo holds more of it together than bolts.

I have to admit, cutting out pieces of sheet metal, then installing same type from another truck would be like trying to fit pieces of a puzzle together. Very good way to keep you busy without getting bored :)

I have an old 20D that is FINALLY starting to have a few issues here and there (mainly batteries are draining quick, even the newer ones), so hoping I can grab a new EOS-M in the future with the EF/S Adapter! Seriously, check out www.sterlingtek.com they make aftermarket stuff for a lot of cameras and my dad and I have had great luck with their batteries and chargers. I think they sell remotes too for pretty cheap. Hell I got 4 new batteries for my 20D for $35 shipped to me, the Canon ones cost about that much each.

Thanks, I am stoked to get out and grab it and get her home. Definitely will be grabbing one of your tailgate lids in the future (probably one of the first mods). Got three large dogs that we take to the park and throw the ball for on the weekends and I have to say the little storage area in the wife's Highlander that we have the throwers and multiple balls in is a lifesaver! Don't know if you realized but your site used to have a hyperlink on the 60/62 Tailgate lid area but the hyperlink seems to be gone so you cannot see pictures of the lids unless you look at the 80/100 series ones (the link for the latches works though).

:cheers:
I checked the site but didn't see remote shutter releases?
I'll pick up one soon enough. Our Cannon has had a rough life but it keeps on ticking, been very impressed with the Cannon hardware, I think more important is the camera-amour cover I put on it when it was new, has kept a lot of the dirt and dust out and saved it from quite a few nocks.

As for the tailgate placement on the mod-list, they should be pretty far down the priority list. :p Make sure all the important bits work first!

.....Seriously, the one thing I AM sure of is how cool WagonGear gear is. :bounce::bounce::bounce:
Yes, but we have already confirmed that you are old, and now we know you are senile as well......

You're always welcome to come up and take apart the Prince Edward Island BJ42 if you miss the rusty bolts. :D I suspect bondo holds more of it together than bolts.
I didn't say I missed them, I said you are spoiled.

I have to admit, cutting out pieces of sheet metal, then installing same type from another truck would be like trying to fit pieces of a puzzle together. Very good way to keep you busy without getting bored :)
At least you have the picture on the box to go by, even if the pieces don't fit together. ;p

K, couldn't stay out of the shop this morning...wife did some yoga and worked out so, I took advantage of the time I had. It's installed and am thoroughly pleased.
I KNEW that was going to happen! Hope I didn't get you in any trouble, I've been in the garage all day as well, but that's the same as every other day. :doh:

KR

I KNEW that was going to happen! Hope I didn't get you in any trouble, I've been in the garage all day as well, but that's the same as every other day. :doh:

KR[/QUOTE]

Nope, no trouble at all.. She didn't mind since she was busy doing her things and I spent the rest of the day with her. Worked out well.

J

I checked the site but didn't see remote shutter releases?
I'll pick up one soon enough. Our Cannon has had a rough life but it keeps on ticking, been very impressed with the Cannon hardware, I think more important is the camera-amour cover I put on it when it was new, has kept a lot of the dirt and dust out and saved it from quite a few nocks.

KR

Ah forgot, Sterlingtek is the batteris, Phottix is the shutter release (had to grab mine to remember).
http://www.phottix.com/en/wired-remotes/phottixr-wired-remote-3m.html
I got mine off ebay for like $20 shipped if I remember correctly. And yeah, Canon is the Toyota of cameras. Seriously my 20D has close to 300k actuations on the shutter, has never been rebuilt, and really is just now starting to show problems after me owning it for 5yrs. Really the only reason I want something else is because I want something with a bigger screen in back. You should check out my Flickr if you want to see some of the photos I have taken with it. The two paddleboard sets and the 2011 Leadville 100 were all taken with it along with all the wedding photos and what not.

Ok, we're back.

If you haven't been following along, I've got the engine all back together, back in place, running, tested and just changed out the break in oil.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/605157-advice-condition-turbo-thanks-7.html

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

Back to regularly scheduled programming now (I sure as hell hope)

IMG_0256.jpg

That was an unplanned pain-in-the-arse to add to the end of an already too expensive project. :rolleyes:
Now hopefully we can salvage the season and get some camping in.

KR

Congrats on getting it back together Kevin!

Notice any increased power with the rebuild?

Yeah! Just in time for the cold wet weather to really seat in!

Can't wait to see it in person next week.

Clint
I like cold weather, remember?

Congrats on getting it back together Kevin!

Notice any increased power with the rebuild?
It's quieter, sounds nice. Amy even said it sounds nice, but that might just be since she hasn't heard it run in so long. :p
If anything performance is down, at least for now. It will take awhile for the rings to seat 100% an compression to be high. Feels nice though. There was a noticeable improvement as I pushed it through the break-in. Keeping the compression pressure up is supposed to make sure the rings are slammed into the piston walls.

New site looks awesome kevin! Hopefully you are using a tool like Google Analytics to do your tracking and bounce rates. Need to order a new tailgate gasket from you soon but bigger fish to fry for the time being.

Whoa, that was fast Greg. :p
I only put that up at about 11o'clock last night.

As for Google Analytics, I didn't even know what that was, had to google it.
Isn't it enough that I figured out how to have a "favicon" finally. :p

Why should I be using it?
The cpanel for the server I use seems to be able to give me pretty much any data about web visits I could want, have no clue what I'm supposed to do with any of it, but it looks like it's there. I just can't believe how much traffic there is, 3-4k visits a month for my little site.

That old site was just a mess though, info all over the place, weird links, nothing was coherent, I had tried to band-aid it as much as possible but it was time to try and start clean. This new one is still going to take a lot of work. :doh:

Kevin -
Nice work on the site pimp-work. You are a rock star in our world.

It would help if you came up with something cool that more people could buy, with more profits for the Rowland Family. Lots more FJ Cruisers out there than rusty old wagons. Just sayin.

Of course you would need some more space...

Well, I went ahead and installed G.A. anyway, thanks for the tip.
Maybe it will make more sense than the cpanel readouts and help me fix problems with the new site.

Kevin -
Nice work on the site pimp-work. You are a rock star in our world.

It would help if you came up with something cool that more people could buy, with more profits for the Rowland Family. Lots more FJ Cruisers out there than rusty old wagons. Just sayin.
Thanks Ward, still A LOT of info I need to get put in there, :whoops:

I should make more normal/affordable stuff. I know some people want me to make a "WagonGear Housewares" line for some other odd stuff I've made for our house (not on wheels).
As for the FJC crowd, that would be the bunch to make money off. :p They all tend to be self-proclaimed gear-whores. :doh:

Of course you would need some more space...
That new building of yours sure would be tempting....:p

Is any of this "tech"? :flipoff2:

Kevin,
Just finished installing rubber window moldings for the black out project. Fit and finish for the tailgate moldings were on target. Video tutorials on your website were super helpful.

Kev- do you use a regular 60 radiator or a different one? If stock 60 what did you do to the drain to create a pig tail? I need to drain and flush and want to add a braided steel line just want some direction.

Well, I went ahead and installed G.A. anyway, thanks for the tip.
Maybe it will make more sense than the cpanel readouts and help me fix problems with the new site.

Dont thank me yet dude... There is a lot that can be powered by GA and it can give you enough info to drill down to specific cities where hits are coming from. I would use it to aim whatever marketing you have towards a specific demographic. Also beware of the crawl rate by the search engines because that will give you false readings on what your numbers are like. The one thing that I always paid attention to was bounce rates (how quickly someone goes to a particular page and then leaves). If you want to talk more in depth about that stuff send me a PM and we can setup a call. Been a bit since I have played with it but the basics are the same, watch your numbers and where they are coming from.:cheers:

Kevin,
Just finished installing rubber window moldings for the black out project. Fit and finish for the tailgate moldings were on target. Video tutorials on your website were super helpful.
Bravo!

Kev- do you use a regular 60 radiator or a different one? If stock 60 what did you do to the drain to create a pig tail? I need to drain and flush and want to add a braided steel line just want some direction.
Hey Matt, it's a regular 60 rad, but not the OE one. Years ago I got fed up with radiator problems and got the aluminum one from MAF, stock fit though.

I just put a threaded NPT barb on the drain port, a piece of fuel line on that (more durable than coolant hose) with another threaded barb on the end to adapt to a cap. (I used what pipe parts I had in my box so it's actually a coupling nut with a socket plug, but could just as easily have just been a threaded barb with a female cap) It's all standard plumbing stuff, and highly recommended, very nice to be able to drain things clean and easy.

Dont thank me yet dude... There is a lot that can be powered by GA and it can give you enough info to drill down to specific cities where hits are coming from. I would use it to aim whatever marketing you have towards a specific demographic. Also beware of the crawl rate by the search engines because that will give you false readings on what your numbers are like. The one thing that I always paid attention to was bounce rates (how quickly someone goes to a particular page and then leaves). If you want to talk more in depth about that stuff send me a PM and we can setup a call. Been a bit since I have played with it but the basics are the same, watch your numbers and where they are coming from.:cheers:
It seems like most of the info is also available through the cpanel, but the GA stuff is easier to navigate. It's fun to play with for now. past that, i would actually have to start doing some "marketing" to make much use of it. :p

KR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom