Rusty gx470 frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone. First post. Just bought a 2008 gx470 with 47k for a great price. This is my first Lexus and I’m coming from a 2003 Jetta.... heaven on wheels. The frame is pretty rusty as well as the sunroof trim as it sat in south brooklyn by the sea. Can anyone help me in finding a reputable shop that can remove the rust from the frame and coat in some kind of sealer? I’d like to stop the cancer and keep this vehicle pretty much forever!
AD69A603-6510-435A-B431-4DFBA20736A3.jpeg

I would get a drill, a wire wheel, a dust suit, respirator, and a face guard and get after it all. Etch it, POR15 it (DO NOT GET ON SKIN) and then once it is all sealed up...nothing can make it rust again (if you get a full coat). Not fun work, or fast....but permanent.

I would get a drill, a wire wheel, a dust suit, respirator, and a face guard and get after it all. Etch it, POR15 it (DO NOT GET ON SKIN) and then once it is all sealed up...nothing can make it rust again (if you get a full coat). Not fun work, or fast....but permanent.

Actually sounds fun. So just get some truck ramps and wheel chocks and just get at it? What about the stuff I can’t reach on the top side of the frame and the inside of the frame tube? I’m not too excited about using anything toxic honestly. I’ve been looking online at fluid film as well and it’s not permanent but it’s easy to spray on and non toxic. What say ye?

So yea...the frames rust from the inside out. If you're gonna tackle it yourself, get it on jack stands, all tires off, and as much stuff unbolted as you can. Spare tire out. Maybe exhaust off. Slightly elevate one end and wash the rust and dirt out with water hose and compressed air. Then get the Eastwood internal frame coating kit, 2 cans. Then wire wheel on drill, Dremel, and by hand all the spots you can get too and then wash off with soap and water or brake clean. Buy Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer and brush on. Then brush on por 15 or really any top level industrial paint. Re-assemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom