running york oba air...How long can these run without overheating? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I run mine all day long. It's not pumping all the time; the clutch cycles it on and off based on pressure. It pumps continuously, for the most part, while I'm airing up, so 5-10 minutes there. The rest of the time it only serves to operate my air lockers and I have a 1.5 quart (or thereabouts) tank, so very infrequently does it pump on the trail.

Do they get hot? Yepppp, they do. Make sure your outlet hose can handle the heat. I use a stainless flexible hose from McMaster Carr.

The York is an AC compressor originally, rated for continuous duty. If you've modified it to run oil properly while pumping air, it should run forever.

Thanks guys.
I installed mine a year or so ago and it has been a champ. On the trail last weekend I air up a few other rigs and I could smell the compressor starting to get hot. It was running probably 10 - 15 min.
That started my quest on the forum to see what others have experienced. I also called TCCI ( The Manufacturer) this morning and spoke to tech support. He said they were not built for compressing air and will get hot very quickly. The freon in the intended application would also cool the compressor. They didnt have specs for the air, but he said dont let the head right next to the output side port get above 300. and you should be fine.
Just did a test and running for 7 min at approx 2000 RPM on the compressor, my head temp was 272 deg with a laser temp gun and it cooled off 30 deg is about 3 min.

Hope my info was useful also and thanks for all the responses.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom