Events/Trails Running of the Bulls - John Bull June 19 and 20 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

By my count we have 4 confirmed. I think the sites are limited to 2 vehicles. Can everyone interested in going up Thursday night post up and I will reserve some sites.
They are, but you can disperse camp anywhere, so just have two trucks setup to the side.

And I can't make it btw.. just trying to help you get away from the pay sites, and away from the crowds!

I know a few dispersed spots, just will be a crap shoot if they are taken or not, going out thurs should improve our chances.

I know a few dispersed spots, just will be a crap shoot if they are taken or not, going out thurs should improve our chances.
[/QUOTE

So lets plan on dispersed sites Thursday night. i can leave by 5 thirsday night from Clairemont Mesa. Anyone interested in caravanning up.

So is the new plan to run JB on Friday??

That's what I would prefer to allow time for fathers day and less crowds. Plan would be to start with gold mtn as early as possible and JB after. There is a nice dispersed camp spot that could accommodate 5 rigs no problem in Holcomb Valley. My plan would be to leave after work thurs, get up there by 7 or so, if anyone can go earlier and secure the site, even better.

Attachments

• Camp.kmz
    708 bytes · Views: 109
Are we still on going on out thurs night?

Are we still on going on out thurs night?
Still a go! I plan to leave after work 4:00? On Thursday. We should probably come up with a meeting spot for Friday night and Saturday arrivals depending on when everyone is arriving.

So we have Loober and myself confirmed to leave Thursday night. Flyingmonkey and 1FZJ80 possible. Still spots open if anyone else can make the trip. We could also meet up with others on Friday night or Saturday morning as well. I know there are other good trails to run other than JB. Who’s up for Saterday trails...,

Brian
858-650-9933

Last edited:
So we have Loober and myself confirmed to leave Thursday night. Flyingmonkey and 1FZJ80 possible. Still spots open if anyone else can make the trip. We could also meet up with others on Friday night or Saturday morning as well. I know there are other good trails to run other than JB. Who’s up for Saterday trails...,

Brian
858-660-9933

Can't make Friday. If a Saturday run comes together I might be able to make that. Holcomb is another great trail.

Can't make Friday. If a Saturday run comes together I might be able to make that. Holcomb is another great trail.
i plan in staying Saturday, Holcomb would be great to run on Saturday. Shoot me a text at (858) 650-9933.

Well, it was a slugfest, trucks took a beating but fun was had by all. It was myself, Brian in his 80, and my buddy Gus in a 3rd gen 4runner, thats pretty much stock on 31s. Weather was perfect and we barely saw anyone on the trails. We did Gold mtn and John bull without much issue, Gus got hang up a few times but considering his rig, he did really well. Brian's 80 is a big girl but she sure knows how to dance, he quickly settled into a strategy of pushing rocks aside rather then going over them. We got through those two trails faster then expected and decided to head towards rattlesnake canyon.

Feeling good, I knew of a trail in that area called Mottino wash, I've never done it but knew it was challenging, since we made quick work of John Bull, I figured this shouldnt be much different. That trail ended up kicking our ass for the next 4 hours. It was one obstacle after the next of huge boulders, way too big for our rigs. full of stacking rocks, hi lifting and winching. As fatigue set in we started making mistakes, I took a bad line got super hung up, upon winching myself I wrapped the winch controller line around my tire ripping it and having no more use of my winch, resorting to hi lifting and stacking rocks to get unstuck. As i was coming off the obstacle I snagged my driveshaft carrier support and jammed it into the driveshaft flange. As I was grinding it away Brian bashed his steering center link preventing him from turning right. At that point it we were contemplating calling it a day and camping on the trail, we decided to push on. After using the winch to un bend Brian's link enough so he could half ass turn, we managed to finish the trail. By the way Brian installed his winch prior to this trip, and man did it come in handy.

Ironically enough, Gus with the least capable rig, had the least damage, but he did give his hi lift a work out. I took a total of 4 pictures the entire trip, with the last one being on my driveway of my skid plate when I got home.

Cheers

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1521.jpg

Well that last trail kicked our ass. We all managed the Bull with minimal issues but the bolders got larger and larger with less room to maneuver on Mottino Wash. i would have been fine running a NASCAR race as at full lock I was only pointing straight with the bent center rod. I ended up winching the bent rod a couple of turns and got it yoo turn ok to make it out and back hone.

Gus was reslly impressive in the 3rd gen that was nearly stock. He definitely put his highlift to work.

All in all a really fun trip with only minor bruises to fix over the next couple of weeks. I managed to not take a single picture but yhere is some good video coming out from Alvin who rode with Gus.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom