Run away 1hz (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the tile says.... Just got the ip back from the shop, installed it and on the test drive as I was caging from 2nd to 3rd uphill the engine went crazy and tons of smoke at the back... Then after 3 4 seconds it goes back to normal. Car drives fine af lower rpm but if revved up to change gear that happens. Need to open engine and check rings?
Cheers,

Take the injection pump back to the shop that rebuilt something is wrong with the pump. Runaway diesel engine wont return to normal they just keep revving harder and harder then kaboom if you cant stop them.
Edit\
They normally runaway off the engine oil but what RPM did your engine run at before shutting down and how long.

Last edited:
No rev counter so no idea. I'm guessing it starts at around 3,000 rpm.... never driven a 1hz with a rev counter so I have no clue. After further inspection there is oil leaking out from the exhaust manifold at cylinder 2 5 and 6...
It will not do it by revving the engine it happens only while moving.

Oil dripping from the exhaust manifold would have me checking my turbo to make sure it isn't leaking oil into the intake tract. But you don't have a turbo...so I'm struggling to imagine where you'd be getting an oil source that would allow it to runaway like that. I can't imagine you'd be seeing enough blowby oil into the intake to cause this. Pull the intake hoses and check for oil, see what you can find.

I'd practice stuffing a coat or a blanket into your air intake and smother the engine until it stalls until you get your IP sorted out. I picked up a parts engine reciently because the driver thought it better to watch the engine run away and die rather than try and stall it out. His loss is my gain mind you, but it's still a waste.

Definitely check the oil level in the sump for diesel contamination.
If the sump isn't filled with diesel, take the IP back to the shop. You shouldn't have to worry about losing a $5-10k engine because they've done something wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom