1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rubicon Solar Power Experience

Discussion in 'Power Systems' started by Cruiserdrew, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

The temp compensation is for long term. It ramps the voltage down when it's hot and up when it's cold, which reflects the relative efficiency of the underlying chemistry with changes in temperature. For a week at a time it will be plenty close enough and I would not worry about it.

That 6 ga will tend to minimize voltage/conduction losses, and my bet is your system will work perfectly.

cc93cruiser likes this.
  2. cc93cruiser

cc93cruiser CRUZAHEAD

Media:
    Nice! shhh, I won't tell anyone that is a harbor freight cutting board your using on that charge controller, ha (at least it looks identical like one I bought from H.B.)... Yea, I think I might just wire the morningstar next to fuse block, I don't plan to power anything but arb fridge, so the minimal charging efficiency loss you mentioned won't be too noticeble..

Cruiserdrew likes this.
  3. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

It's actually a highly specialized cutting board, with "solar ready" features built in. It has special cross linked polymer in a high density array. Very difficult to obtain. I will sell you one for $100, and that's a steal. :D

4. cc93cruiser

cc93cruiser CRUZAHEAD

Media:
    SOLD, payment method prefered?:rofl:.. Thanks for all the input...

5. DickM

DickM SILVER Star

Looks a lot like the one I cut up for drawer slides-imagine specialized, and dual purpose:hillbilly:

6. cc93cruiser

cc93cruiser CRUZAHEAD

Media:
    Fellas 1 more question regarding my solar project using the morningstar sunsaver solar charger. Andy, you mentioned that you have a mobile solar system where you can use on different rigs.. I wanted to detach the solar panel when not in use which would be 90% of the time (only needing panel installed when out in boonies) but I wanted to keep my solar charger wired with my aux fuse block at all times.. Like this I can wire quick disconnects from my charger to panel when needed.. Will there be any issues with my charger wired to aux fuse block without panel installed/wired?

7. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Shouldn't be a problem, but you'll keep the electronics of the charge controller on all the time. RVs do this. But I have not tested this. If you're backfeeding through your panel, just pull the fuse when not in operation. Then everything is off.

8. cc93cruiser

cc93cruiser CRUZAHEAD

Media:
    Will do... Perhaps I can install a relay and on/off switch for charger too....We'll see....Thanks again for reply...

9. cc93cruiser

cc93cruiser CRUZAHEAD

Media:
    Well, here is my setup...... I hope we are gtg with charge controller in the cab instead of under the hood.... Instructions say maximum of 10 ft away from battery..... Time will tell.

20170423_093001.jpg

10. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

Have you tried it yet? Sun's up!

cc93cruiser likes this.
  11. cc93cruiser

cc93cruiser CRUZAHEAD

Media:
    Haven't taken delievery of panel yet. Will report back..............Totally off subject but I posted a video on youtube of a run we did more than 10 years ago.. I think you make a quick cameo in it towards the end.... lol... slow vid, but never before seen footage of norcal wagons run..;)

12. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I remember that trip. Weather was sort of crappy all weekend as I recall.

Funny, I still wear that jacket and hat.

cc93cruiser likes this.