RTH needed: getting AC evap out... IT'S OUT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok it is loose, 4 screws, the bottom bolt, and the 2 nuts are removed, the connector unplugged, the pipes disconnected, but I can't seem to get the thing back far enough to clear the firewall.

Do I:
1. need to remove the lower heater duct? How? I took the one screw out and dropped it some, but does it snap in or what? I think if I get this out the evap box will drop a little lower and the big pipe will clear the firewall opening. The top left (ashtray side) of the evap box is hard against the curved dash cap brace and cannot come back further, but if I drop a little more it might.

Took a break from wiggling and cussing. Hope someone has some trick I don't know. Ive searched and read but no dice...:bang:

How do you remove the lower heater duct across the trans hump? This would be a :banana: job if the evap would clear the lower right duct. FSM is no help with this duct assy - or I am not looking at the correct FSM. There are 2 screws and 3 plastic retainers that look like Phillips head screws but just rotate when you try to unscrew them. Do they snap out? I'll try the pry-n-turn trick.

IT IS OUT. The 3 retainers pry out with a trim tool, or a determined flathead screwdriver. Also remove the 2 screws, one on each side, driver/pass, and the whole bottom heater vent piece (kinda shaped like a tray) can be wiggled right out. After this is done you can wiggle and jerk the evaporator assy right out.

WHEW! THE TRICK IS REMOVING THE BOTTOM HEATER DUCT FOR MORE WIGGLE ROOM! Thanks for reading. :clap: :smokin: :flipoff2:

I was gonna write to remove the lower duct prior to reading the whole post but then I read the entire post. Well, both. Good that you got it out. I had my entire dash out at some point so I had to go through the process as well.

Not cleaning all of it; I have all new evap and parts for inside. It is totally filled with crud and pine needles, and the ducts are filthy. So that will all be vacuumed out and re-spiffified. :smokin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom