Routes from Yucca Valley to Big Bear? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm thinking about heading up to big bear from the east this weekend. I was thinking Burns Canyon Road which is 2N02 I believe, but it sounds to be a graded fire road the whole way. I know I can access Heartbreak Ridge from up there, but I dont think that'll get me to Big Bear...and it might be rough without sliders. I'm still stock at this point so no rock crawling, but having to pick lines would be nice.

Anyone recommend a route into Big Bear from the east that would make a good day trip? Or is anyone setting any local run up for this weekend?

Brad

Burns Canyon to Onyx peak cut off is a nice trail, Yes Burns is mostly fire road but the rains have changed the terrain alot this year, Its a very nice drive.

Brad,

If you want to head toward Lucerne a bit then up to BB

RattleSnake Canyon can be a fun one:
Trail Head is .7 miles east of mile marker 27 off SR 247

Starts off in the high desert washes,passes through a fun rocky canyon, by some yucca & Joshua trees with a mine site and optional short dry waterfall climb along the way. Take the first left 3 or so miles in to get to the old mine site.

At the burns canyon intersection take 2n02 up to Big Bear.

If there is water in the canyon (likely this time of year) the trail can be real fun. Couple of rocky spots so take off the running boards if you still have them on. Small bit of rock crawling but stock height is fine minus the boards.

If I was'nt going to calico I would join you.

Brian

Brad,

If you want to head toward Lucerne a bit then up to BB

RattleSnake Canyon can be a fun one:
Trail Head is .7 miles east of mile marker 27 off SR 247

Starts off in the high desert washes,passes through a fun rocky canyon, by some yucca & Joshua trees with a mine site and optional short dry waterfall climb along the way. Take the first left 3 or so miles in to get to the old mine site.

At the burns canyon intersection take 2n02 up to Big Bear.

If there is water in the canyon (likely this time of year) the trail can be real fun. Couple of rocky spots so take off the running boards if you still have them on. Small bit of rock crawling but stock height is fine minus the boards.

If I was'nt going to calico I would join you.

Brian

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the heads up on Rattlesnake Cnyn, I was wonder about it.

Feels like a long time since you helped me check the truck that morning:D I feel like I actually know why you were looking at certain things while you were checking it out now, thanks to this website and some hours with the wrench!

:beer:

Is there any way to check the current status of the road? Thinking of driving from Pioneertown up the easy 2N02 tomorrow. Will probably be some snow leftover from last week. Any advice?

Is there any way to check the current status of the road? Thinking of driving from Pioneertown up the easy 2N02 tomorrow. Will probably be some snow leftover from last week. Any advice?
We did get a couple inches of snow up here (going to be more like 5-6" up near Onyx Summit) but it's been pretty warm the last few days and most of the snow has melted. 2N02 at the top will still have snow this weekend and will be rather wet and muddy but should be doable in a stock 4WD.

Nice thread revival - almost 10 years old! :cool:

Drove through it on Thursday with no problems at all starting from Pioneertown. I was slightly worried having never done it before that there would still be a significant amount of snow up at elevation leftover from last weeks snows, but it was a piece of cake. Skied a half day at Big Bear when I got there, wish I took more pics of the trail.

bigbear.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom