Rough saw lumber and what you built out of it (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Threads
Seems to be a number of members who saw their own lumber and make some interesting things out of the lumber.

What type of sawmill do you have?
What wood do you normally saw?
What cool projects did you make with the repurposed tree?

Moved to California in 1996. I had an Alaskan 2 sawmill attachment for my STIHL 090 with 52" rails.
I could slab 46" lumber from some of the massive Oak trees.
Someone borrowed my Alaskan 2 sawmill attachment. His place was robbed and it is one of the items they stole. Someone else offered me stupid money for my 090 so he now owns it.

I dropped down in size to my 084, 076, 051, 056 Magnum 2 and then my 066 and now my MS 661.

image.jpeg

I'm running an Alaskan 3 sawmill attachment with 42" rails.

image.jpeg

Here's our red cedar mantle that I cut off our farm and had milled, It's 4x12x7'. There's a handful of guys around here with the bandsaw mills, so really no need for me to buy one. I've some oak mantles in the barn, waiting if one of my Sons would want one. We use the cedar on a lot of small projects, stalls, feeders, etc.

IMG_3044.JPG

Great thread!

The fellow down the road has a Woodmizer sawmill. I don't recall the size at the moment. He has milled some Cherry for us from a tree that fell on the farm. He has also milled some Cedar and Oak for us as well that he had on hand from his place.

I am in the middle of a major home renovation of the old home I grew up in. Below is a 9' long 2 by 8 he milled for me out of Cherry. I needed a timber this size to go in place as a column in a doorway I opened up to the ceiling. Interesting timber. I don't typically specify what kind of wood I want, just the size of timber I need. I think it makes for an interesting final product when you mix the woods that are visible supports in the home.

The stone part of the house was built late 1700's to early 1800's. Closest dates I have had put on it were 1810 - 1812 as told to me by a decedent of the man that had it built.

100_8710.JPG
100_8714.JPG
100_8715.JPG
100_8716.JPG
100_8717.JPG

These window frames were made from local milled cedar. I found the sashes in the house.

They will all end up being painted like the rest of the house. The cedar should last a good long time though.
100_8593.JPG
100_7635.JPG
100_8568.JPG
window.jpg

100_7635.JPG
100_8568.JPG
window.jpg

Last edited:
9' Oak 8X8, measures to a true 8" by 8". Was quite the booger to pack in and set up. Fellow down the road with the Woodmizer milled it for me. Holds up a corner of the 1970's addition where the exterior wall used to be.

100_7458.JPG
100_7460.JPG
Post.jpg
Post2.jpg

Man, that's a nice post. Do you let it dry out before using. I like to let the lumber stay stacked for a year or so, before using, just let it air season.

Man, that's a nice post. Do you let it dry out before using. I like to let the lumber stay stacked for a year or so, before using, just let it air season.

I agree, it is a good idea to let it dry and season. This one had set out for a while at his saw mill. He told me it would check a bit, had already dried. I don't mind the checking and all as this one has done. Have some cherry sitting now.

There is a fellow about 45 mins away that has a kiln that he will put wood in if needed. Dry it with some runs he makes with the kiln.

Last edited:
Is it possible to buy land with good second growth fir or pine trees, what ever wood is used in frame construction and have the trees logged and cut into timber? That has been on my mind for a long time.

Rusty,

You could have lumber milled from oak or hickory if that is what's on your land. I believe the main reason they use pine, spruce type trees, are because they grow quick and are cheap. hard wood makes great lumber and yes you can buy land with plenty of timber to make a home.

Put up another rough sawn timber in the kitchen. This one is opposite end of the beams that the 8x8 oak is supporting. This one is walnut I believe. It has been sitting in the house for about 40 years awaiting use. I cleaned it up and glued a chunk back on, sanded it down just to get the really rough stuff off.

It is more for looks and does not really support the beams. It separates the old kitchen walls from the new.
100_8795.JPG
100_8796.JPG
100_8797.JPG
100_8798.JPG

Don't own a mill, but a guy up the road has a small one. He mostly cuts cedar, but I'm sure he would trim me up whatever if I asked and he could find it.

We had some cedars cut for the porch posts corners are 10x10s and the rest are 8x8s. I think they turned out pretty good.

0130161606.jpg

0130161626.jpg

We also have an old cabin log that we plan to make a mantle out of, and some other sawmill cedars that will be the start of the entrance up front. I love sawmill lumber, hope to build me a big shop out of it someday down the road.

Thank you sir. We are looking forward to getting moved in in the next month or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom