Builds Rotw: Socalfj (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow almost missed your ROTW. Looking good Dave, you have done a great job of making my 80 and I feel inadequately prepared. Rock on brother. :D

Looks great Dave...lets see some 2m pics ;)

Nice rig. Love the INTI.

Shoot i forgot to take some ladder shots. I'll do that tomorrow.

Anyways, here are the 2 meter pics. I installed it today. Used a RAM mount for the radio just like the GPS. Worked great once again! I can still open the center console. Driver area looks like a gadget store now. The antenna attached via the Diamond UHF mount that fit perfect into the ARB tab. The antenna folds down or is removed when not in use.

here are the pics..

The RAM mount fit perfectly down into the cubby hole and still gave enough room for me to tighten up the adjust knob.

My truck has the same paint scheme. I really like your setup & it has inspired me to begin setting up for weekend treks with my family! Sweeeeet! Are the springs pretty harsh when your not loaded?

My truck has the same paint scheme. I really like your setup & it has inspired me to begin setting up for weekend treks with my family! Sweeeeet! Are the springs pretty harsh when your not loaded?

Right on, glad to hear it!

The springs are soft no matter when , at least to me. Im used to super stiff leaf springs from my last rig. The 80 always rides like a caddy pretty much.

Like I've said before, Envyyyyy . At least I can say, "There's my big brother, I want to be just like him when I grow up"

Ditto on the photos, you do have a natural eye to catch it just right.

Like I've said before, Envyyyyy . At least I can say, "There's my big brother, I want to be just like him when I grow up"

Ditto on the photos, you do have a natural eye to catch it just right.

Well thanks John, i appreciate the kind words. All in due time! Don't forget, once your done building half the the fun is gone! So take your time! Anyways, i didnt shoot all the pics that are posted so i have to give credit to others too. Thanks all. You know who you are!

Why is our rig still the ROTW? :confused:

Why is our rig still the ROTW?

Because its bad a$$! Now, lets see some pics of the ladder setup.:flipoff2:

Why is our rig still the ROTW?

Because its bad a$$! Now, lets see some pics of the ladder setup.:flipoff2:

hahahahha

Ok, dude i went out and shot a few of the ladder with my cameraphone. Sorry for the crappy quality.. and Yes i know the South American brushed on paint looks like its starting to fall apart. It's in dire need of powder coating.

When i need to get in the back the ladder is held up with a pin that i slide through that is on my keyring. The ladder is super light so it doesnt take a whole lot to hold it up.

07250710511zs9.jpg

The ladder is bolted in 2 places the outside frame of the INTI rack. It holds me and im 250lbs. Once again, yes i know it needs a blast and a powder coat !

07250710501sp6.jpg

The ladder used to thread into a welded nut under the Kaymar diamond plate with a McMaster Carr knob (we did that, thats not kaymar).. but since i added dual swing outs, i don't really need to tighten the ladder down anymore. The swing out holds it in place.

07250710513my2.jpg

07250710512fi5.jpg

Now the ladder just gets tucked behind the left swingout and doesn't budge. The ladder doesnt touch the rear hatch at all.. it's just hard to tell in the crappy phone pic.
07250710521ij4.jpg

Hope that helped a bit.

Last edited:
Is it held on the bumper or have a lower mount? Just one more thing I have to design into mine.

Is it held on the bumper or have a lower mount? Just one more thing I have to design into mine.

I had a huge plastic thumbscrew that screwed into the nut in the bumper. I dont use that anymore. The nut was welded into the bumper. I just unscrew it and open the ladder. Got pretty good at it after a while. Now i just let the ladder fall down and slam the swing out against it.

When i stand on it, the pressure of my weight keeps the ladder in place. And no, all my weight isn't on the diamond plate on the bumper.. there's a couple braces under the cover there.

All in all, the ladder works great.. and was originally built for a FJ60!!! Of course we had to modify the length to work on a 80 series *(lengthen it).

Thanks for making me take the pics, i just realized how horrible that thing looks. I need the rack done too.. just going to take about a day in break down time.

Time to run to the powder coater:D

Awsome Truck, One day...... Well I'll just say one day.....speechless....I think i'm going to cry....:D

Has 100 replies ever been reached in a ROTW before?

Smit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom