Rotted Radiator Core or Support (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I spend the money to get this pressure tested at a radiator shop, does this look like the radiator core or just the support thats rotted? So much gunk came out cleaning her out but Id like to temporarily use this radiator before I go buy an aluminum 3 core.
PXL_20211216_212901102.jpg
PXL_20211216_212843388.jpg

I like to reuse/fix the original stuff if I can. I wouldn’t reuse that though.

With that said, put a plug in the outlet, fill it with water. You‘ll see a leak. If no leaks, and you have an air compressor, drain the radiator and immerse it in a big tub of water up to the top. Find a big rubber plug (really 😂), drill a hole through it, and using something like this Air Blow Gun with 4 in. Nozzle - https://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-with-4-in-nozzle-68258.html put some pressure in the tank, you’ll definitely see air bubbles if there is a leak. If no leaks, use at risk.

With that also said, I haven’t had good luck with aluminum radiators in rigs that are flexed a lot (Isolation is key, I’ve been unsuccessful at that). If not intended to be flexed much, go for it. Over.

I like to reuse/fix the original stuff if I can. I wouldn’t reuse that though.

With that said, put a plug in the outlet, fill it with water. You‘ll see a leak. If no leaks, and you have an air compressor, drain the radiator and immerse it in a big tub of water up to the top. Find a big rubber plug (really 😂), drill a hole through it, and using something like this Air Blow Gun with 4 in. Nozzle - https://www.harborfreight.com/air-blow-gun-with-4-in-nozzle-68258.html put some pressure in the tank, you’ll definitely see air bubbles if there is a leak. If no leaks, use at risk.

With that also said, I haven’t had good luck with aluminum radiators in rigs that are flexed a lot (Isolation is key, I’ve been unsuccessful at that). If not intended to be flexed much, go for it. Over.
Gonna attempt that homemade leak test.

Not sure why your radiator would flex. I know the FJ40 has a C channel frame in certain sections, but that front section where the radiator sits is boxed. Either way my leaf springs aren't giving me rock crawler flexibility

Even if its not leaking now, that core is toast.. It'll be leaking soon enough.. its end of life.

Even if its not leaking now, that core is toast.. It'll be leaking soon enough.. its end of life.
Yea I figured as much, my heater core is most likely just as bad with the crud I found in these hoses.

Guess that's what you get for trying to revive a 40 year old barn find 😜

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom