Rock / Puddle lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Outsane

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
solvefunction.com
I am getting close to finishing my Rock / Puddle lights. It's taken a lot of tweaking to make a good mount. They use the KC cyclones and wired into the courtesy light system. I do need to wire in a switch.

Can’t really see what’s goin on there in the video, lights on the side view mirrors though I take it.

Kind of a good idea, sounds like they are there more for getting out of the cruiser at night?

If you have any sort of wheel well (rock lights) it would kinda make sense to tie the mirror lights in with those.

Putting a couple diode in so the mirror lights go on with the rock light switch (but not interior lights, then only mirror lights with door switch (but not rock lights) might be what you want as well

Last edited:
Yeah I made a mount that incorporates the light into the Rear view mirrors.

Kind of a mix of light when outside the vehicle and trail riding at night, I am not a crawler. So not sure if I need full rock lights..

I do need to figure out the switch.. and the wiring.. not my strong point.

Just tie the power in with the dome light in front if you want them for getting in and out of the vehicle at night.

If you want to be able to turn the mirror lights on while driving at night and not have the dome light blinding you, run power from the dome light to a three way switch, and a separate ignition power feeding the other side of the switch, so you can have them go on when you open the doors or just themselves when driving or whatever

@cody c

So far I have the lights tied in parallel withe the courtesy lights in the door. Which means I do not have to run wires through the door jam and it's a quick and easy install.

I am not the best electrician, let me know were you think I can tie in a switch.

20210118_120029.jpg

Screenshot_20210120-061705_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20210120-061750_Drive.jpg

IMG_20210118_124436_536.jpg

How I finished it off.

IMG_20210111_094024_066.jpg

Older version of 3d printed mount and light, it's now angled out 5 degrees away from the body.

Looks awesome Solve. I love seeing your new innovations and inventions. Keep us posted and I will be a customer (again) for sure.

Got a handful of lights waiting for these to arrive! Even got set up as dealer for KC just for them! MUST HAVE ASAP...

edit: all negative switched lights, hold on a second..

Ok.. so find the hot wire for the door light (L-Y) and connect it to the mirror light..

Step two, Tie in a wire to the switched ground courtesy light (R-L)and run this to a dash switch. We’re going to use a three position switch.

The the three position switch should be on-off-on and we are going to use this to connect/disconnect ground to the mirror lights.

The switch is essentially a 3 position switch, with an off option. One terminal (C - for common) will be able to connect to terminal 1 or terminal 2. You will be able to figure this out with a continuity setting or ohm setting on a multimeter.

The ground wire from the courtesy light, connect to terminal 1.

Take a ground wire from structure or ground point, attach to terminal 2

The common (C) wire will run back to the mirror light(s)

This should work, it does mean running 2 wires for switching ground from each door.

You may be able to use a switch similar to the seat heat switch, I think it’s lighted, you may be able to relabel. You could put a hot to the switch as well for the light to function, check resistance first to identify the light, it should be like a 1 watt or less bulb, so there would show about 120- 400 ohms between two of the terminals.

Last edited:
These are rad. Will definitely pick up a set if you start selling the mounts.

I also wonder if you could tie these into the main dome light so they come on when you unlock the car with the remote like the dome light and stay on for a few seconds after locking. If they're only open when the door is open they dont help a ton.

I also wonder if you could tie these into the main dome light so they come on when you unlock the car with the remote like the dome light and stay on for a few seconds after locking. If they're only open when the door is open they dont help a ton.

You can tie them in wherever you want, any other light that does that you can just wire in to them. If you want multiple functions, like to connect to multiple light power, dome light, courtesy light etc, then you can use diodes, they prevent back feeding into other light circuits so your not connecting different circuits together

dome wiring is right at the driver kick panel. super easy to tie in!

I see two wiring possibilities
1. Tie into the ground wire for the door switch and ground it with a switch, turn off the doom light..

2. Grow a brain and do what @cody c is suggesting... make a diagram and wiring in a 3 position switch...

going to try 1 and start taking omega 3 pills

Haha.

I’m not working right now, but was not too long ago for an engineering company in Calgary, I had access to AutoCAD and Blubeam which makes scratching up drawings or marking up PDFs rather easy. If I did I would have something to work with by now..

I’m an electrician and do electrical design and drafting for mid to large oil and gas or similar industrial projects, been doing drafting, working with schematics etc for over a decade. Don’t feel bad about getting confused. I seen engineers that would struggle with this stuff.

@cody c

I ended up wiring up the Simple method and so the Ditch/Puddle/Rock lights are wired in parallel with the courtesy light in the door.
Then I added a ground switch to the door open switch and it sits on my dash. So I turn off the dome light when I want the exterior lights to stay on, the light indicator for a door open turns on when you do this.

Its not perfect but it does work well, and the lights turn on when open the door, and can be turned on via a switch. With out running wires through the door.

I do still want to explore and try out an ideal solution, if you get bored scribble something out.

Right now the lights are pretty great! couple more tweaks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom